Beginner Set is incredible

By Kaltharion, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting much with the beginner set. The whole reason I purchased the set was for the dice and the map. Needless to say, I am truly impressed. This set just oozes quality. The artwork is amazing, and all of the handouts are top notch. The only gripe I have is the box itself. It's the same flimsy paperboard you get with the WFRP3 expansions. I was hoping for something a bit more robust, but I guess this'll have to do.

Other than the flimsy box, this set makes me wish that the main game was coming in a box set similiar to what we found with WFRP3. Maybe FFG will start a kickstarter to produce a LE Boxed set…. If they do, I know I'll be first in line.

The set is awesome…I love the handouts and the character artwork. I hope they produce more stuff just like this. I really like how they did the adventure, as a father with three kids i dont have a ton of time and this works for me. Please make more characters and maps. Then I come here and there is a free adventure and more characters….just awesome. The best money I spent in a long time.

Jay

I'll "Third" those sentiments. Just an amazing set all around for Star Wars fans & gamers alike.

You guys have got me even more excited about this set now!

What's on the map? Is it just for the adventure or something you can re-use for your own?

Can someone explain how you already got the set? My FLGS doesn't have it coming in for me until next week.

I purchased it at my local game store.

Yeah, it wasn't supposed to be out until the 21st! Could be a couple FLGStores were… naughty. I won't begrudge the lucky new owners, though. Can't wait for mine! More excited about THIS than I am about Wave Two.

It was due out the 21st? How are we supposed to enjoy it when the world ends the same day?!? :P

All joking aside, I don't even think the game store where I bought it had a clue on the release date. I asked for it and they called me two days later. I guess the word didn't get out to everyone…

Yeah, it seems that quite a few gaming stores either were unaware of when the actual street date was or simply decided to not let a hot item sit for a week, particularly with Christmas so close.

Does it actually say anywhere viewable online as to when precisely the Beginner's Box is supposed to be released? All I can seem to find is "Q4 2012" rather than a hard street date, but I'll admit to not spending a whole lot of time searching (mostly skimming through Google results).

That said, it's a pretty nice product, and it's nice to actually have the dice in hand. Although I did notice that the Force Die in my set was missing a black dot (I double-checked and it has the right facings for the Lights Side dots). Easy enough to remedy (black Sharpie to fill in the uncolored indentation), but was just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Donovan Morningfire said:

Does it actually say anywhere viewable online as to when precisely the Beginner's Box is supposed to be released? All I can seem to find is "Q4 2012" rather than a hard street date, but I'll admit to not spending a whole lot of time searching (mostly skimming through Google results).

The latest web supplement (the free adventure) says "you can buy the game on Monday". For the record, I went into my LGS today and it was there, so I've got mine, too. I'll check that Force die and get back…

i have not know FFG to use hard street dates. my guess is monday is the date they expect most stores to have it and so they use that date to aviod disapointments.

Man… I haven't read much of the set yet, but just looking at it, I am very, very impressed. All the bits are top-notch (apart from the box itself, as noted above). I was a little worried about the dice, because I found the X-Wing dice to be a bit 'chintzy' looking - but not so, here. And the art in the books is just unbelievably gorgeous. In fact, there's just this amazing sense of fun practically leaping right off the page that I haven't felt in a Star Wars RPG since the WEG days.

Interestingly, they describe the upcoming Core Rulebook as being 400 pages.

I don't know if I'll ever get to actually play this game, but I sure am looking forward to buying the stuff…

(oh, and p.s. Donovan - my Force die is fine)