How to win on T1, reloaded

By Gooki, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Hello,

Here is a funny combo that currently allows to win on T1. It is very difficult to pull out, since it requires 5 cards.

It is based on the Logan+Altar+Necronomicon combo.

• Source James Logan with a Yog card
  • Source Predatory Byakhee or Wandering Gug
  • Play Altar of the Blessed
  • Play Servant from out of Time on the Byakhee or the Gug (alternately, play Alternative Historian or Dedicated Butler to discard the card without sourcing it)
  • Play Twilight Gate on Logan
  • Then, depending on what you have in your discard pile, either fetch Necronomicon, sacrifice Logan and loop with the Byakhee or fetch Necronomicon, sacrifice Logan and loop with the Gug, AND fetch a khopesh to wound the later from the second iteration onward.

Have fun!

The only way to stop this I can think of so far is using Get It Off! before the action of the tome is triggered.

Looking forward to this combo’s demise.

However, you can reduce number of cards that you NEED in the opening hand to go off on turn 1 down to 3+a yog and shub resource. Twilight Gate, Altar of the Blessed, and of course James Logan. (of course, shocking transformation+transient resource+fodder=a secondary way to go off turn 1)

Main point of the post -> James Logan can fetch the Book of Iod and The Book of Black Stones. Which total up to 9 cards from your deck to find the gug, Hermantic Scholar, the byhakee, or even Magnus Stiles and put it into the big to being the engine. Also, if you add silver twilight to the deck (which I recommend), you can add dedicated butler and lodge recruiter to the list of engine cards.

Fun times no?

Magnus Arcanis said:

Do you expect a restriction or errata? Or just a clarification to the timing of resolution?

Magnus Arcanis said:

However, you can reduce number of cards that you NEED in the opening hand to go off on turn 1 down to 3+a yog and shub resource. Twilight Gate, Altar of the Blessed, and of course James Logan. (of course, shocking transformation+transient resource+fodder=a secondary way to go off turn 1)

Main point of the post -> James Logan can fetch the Book of Iod and The Book of Black Stones. Which total up to 9 cards from your deck to find the gug, Hermantic Scholar, the byhakee, or even Magnus Stiles and put it into the big to being the engine. Also, if you add silver twilight to the deck (which I recommend), you can add dedicated butler and lodge recruiter to the list of engine cards.

Fun times no?

So let me map this out:

James Logan x3

Altar of the Blessed x3

Shub Necronomicon x3

Twilight Gate x3

Khopesh of the Abyss x2

The Book of Iod x3

The Book of Black Stones x1

Servant from Out of Time x3

Shocking Transformation x3

Sheriff x3 [transient]

Wandering Gug x3

Hermetic Scholar x3

Discard Byakhee x1-2

15-16 other Yog/Shub cards

Setup: Resource Logan, Resource Yog card (Hopefully Gug or Hermetic Scholar), Resource Shub card -> then hopefully you have Twligiht Gate, Altar, and either Servant or Dedicated Butler and either Gug or Scholar.

Turn 1: Draw 1 card, resource anything on the Yog domain; play Twilight Gate to put Logan into play, and pull Necronomicon. Play Servant to discard your Yog resource. Trigger Necromicon, get back Logan and Gug, pull Necro and Khopesh with Logan, wound away, then sacrifice and do it all over again. I would have thought that Hermetic Scholar would deck you simultaneously, but with the Gugs and Byakhees, your opponent will be decked at a faster pace.

I'm not a big fan of adding Silver Twilight since it could further mess up the chances of getting the correct resource match T1; I'm not a stats person, but I believe they are already pretty low indeed.

"Fixing" the timing so that you can't target Logan for his own effect would solve this, but it would still be possible if through discarding you got another copy of Logan into play. Harder, but possible.

Danigral said:

Magnus Arcanis said:

Do you expect a restriction or errata? Or just a clarification to the timing of resolution?

Magnus Arcanis said:

Fun times no?

So let me map this out:

James Logan x3

Altar of the Blessed x3

Shub Necronomicon x3

Twilight Gate x3

Khopesh of the Abyss x2

The Book of Iod x3

The Book of Black Stones x1

Servant from Out of Time x3

Shocking Transformation x3

Sheriff x3 [transient]

Wandering Gug x3

Hermetic Scholar x3

Discard Byakhee x1-2

15-16 other Yog/Shub cards

Setup: Resource Logan, Resource Yog card (Hopefully Gug or Hermetic Scholar), Resource Shub card -> then hopefully you have Twligiht Gate, Altar, and either Servant or Dedicated Butler and either Gug or Scholar.

Turn 1: Draw 1 card, resource anything on the Yog domain; play Twilight Gate to put Logan into play, and pull Necronomicon. Play Servant to discard your Yog resource. Trigger Necromicon, get back Logan and Gug, pull Necro and Khopesh with Logan, wound away, then sacrifice and do it all over again. I would have thought that Hermetic Scholar would deck you simultaneously, but with the Gugs and Byakhees, your opponent will be decked at a faster pace.

I'm not a big fan of adding Silver Twilight since it could further mess up the chances of getting the correct resource match T1; I'm not a stats person, but I believe they are already pretty low indeed.

"Fixing" the timing so that you can't target Logan for his own effect would solve this, but it would still be possible if through discarding you got another copy of Logan into play. Harder, but possible.

I believe it was mentioned elsewhere before. Necro is soon to be errata to “printed skill.” Which snaps the loop

Good news is, you don’t need the Byhakee either. Wandering Gug is the only finisher you’ll need. I personally prefer adding the Silver Twilight though. Squeezing in 2 additional engine cards is great.

I think this is at least close to what I’m running at home (I don’t use the deck too often based on its impending downfall and the fact it’s no fun to play against) so list may or may not be missing something. Typing from memory is bad. L

3x Logan

2x Local Sheriff

3x Twilight Gate

3x Wandering Gug

3x Hermantic Scholar

3x Journey of Discovery

3x Shocking Transformation

3x Necronomicon

3x Alter of the Blessed

3x The Book of Iod

3x Thunder in the East

3x Dedicated Butler

3x Lodge Recuiter

3x Master of Myths

3x Library of Nalanda

3x Khopesh of the Abyss

3x The Book of the Black Stones

Quick note: Combo = Alter/Library+Logan(Necro + ?)

Combo w/ Khopesh + Wandering Gug = Infinate win

Combo w/ Book of Iod + w/ The book of black stone = 9 card dig for engine pieces

Combe w/ Khopehs + Lodge Recuiter = Infinate search for Dedicated Butler

Combo w/ Khopesh + Butler + Book of Iod = Infinate search for Wandering Gug