Improved EotE Stat Block Format

By CStevenRoss, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Hey all!

When I ran my gaming group through the Crate of Krayts adventure in the EotE beta book, I found the NPC stat blocks to be very compact, but also kind of hard to read. Even the most basic stat block had math I had to do in my head on the fly with every skill check. Granted, the math isn't very hard, but I definitely felt a little distracted by it and would have preferred to be able to focus more on the story and less on the numbers crunching.

So, I tried my hand at redoing all the basic stat blocks into a new format that is easier to read, far less complicated, and allows a GM to run a smoother game.

Here is my long-winded explaination of my method.

Here is a list of all the stat blocks in this new format.

I hope it helps your game!

Nice work.

And nice blog- subscribed.

Excellent idea. Stat blocks like this are much more readable, IMO.

I haven't played EotE yet, but your new statblock style looks great. I did a similar thing with Saga Edition, converting them to a more easily readable style inspired by D&D 4e.

Good work - does make the opponents much easier to run "at a glance".

I do like the compactness of the stat blocks in the book though, so it might be good to put together something just as stanardised and a little more compact. I don't feel that the narrative flow of EotE really lends itself as well as 4e to a fixed menu of options.

Would also be nice to incorporate some colour for the dice icons - much like the beginner box character sheets, colour makes it much easier to pick up the dice pools with a glance.

:)

All in all, these don't look bad.

The one suggestion I might make is that for ranged weapons, instead of listing them as "Maximum Range - Weapon type," instead list it as Ranged: Weapon Type (Max Range = Category).

So for a heavy blaster pistol, it'd read something like Ranged: Heavy Blaster Pistol (Range: Medium) - Dice Codes

I like these, well done. I do have to agree with Don though, I think listing weapons in categories (Melee and Ranged) and have their ranges in the specific weapon entry would make the stat blocks a little easier to read.