Already own older version, is FFG version worth buying?

By Dicecaster, in Cosmic Encounter

Recently someone posted a thread asking whether the game was worth its price, to which everyone pretty much responded "yes yes yessity yes". However, he had never played the game before. Just recently I pulled out the Avalon Hill version. I'd had no experience with or even knowledge of Cosmic Encounter , but once I tried it out I haven't missed a day playing it. It appeals to my number-crunching, rule-bending sensibilities as an RPG player, and the dynamic nature of it is just fantastic.

However, I've already got that version. Is it worth paying $60 for the FFG edition? The only big differences I detected are these: (a) more aliens, (b) flare cards, and © official variants, including technology cards. Obviously, it is easily worthwhile for more avid followers of the game, not to mention collectors. But for someone like me who is only interested in gameplay quality, do you think the flares, variants, and increased alien number are worth enough to justify the price?

I know much of this comes down to my own personal opinion, but I would love the community's input on this.

I'm in the same boat as you, I have the Avalon Hill version (with the plastic ships). My understanding is that the AH version is one of the poorest version, as it plays only up to 4. But, if you like the game enough, it may be worth it to get the newest version, as you can get the expansions for it as well.

if you already love the Avalon Hill version… or any older version for that matter… you are going to lose your mind (in a good way) playing the FFG version. Stop reading this and go out and buy it right now. This INSTANT. Seriously, no need to go into detail -- just trust me on this one