Link between Slenderman and Cthulu

By SPQRappelt, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

So I saw that Slenderman is being included in The Key and the Gate Expansion. I admit I'm not an expert of either the Mythos or Slenderman other than my exposure with the two games and my compendium of Lovecraft stories. Can anyone tell me how the two are related?

I'd never even heard of this 'Slendreman' before today. I don't think there's any previous connection to the Mythos. It's probably similar to the Chupacabra card, i.e. it's just being included because it's a popular mythical creature (although a quite modern one).

Chupacabra was exactly the reference I was about to pull out too :)

Basically it's just a well known (to the young folk) horror/mythical reference. As far as I can tell, he's kind of like the new bogeyman - a mysterious figure that shows up and lures people into the woods never to be seen again and that sort of thing.

Oh ok, that makes sense.

I wonder what other urban legends they'll add to the game?

My guess would be that we won't see a more modern reference like this being added too often, but who knows?

Sounds good, so long as they avoid sparkly vampires.

Where did you see a Slenderman card?

Hi folks

I think the inclusion of Slenderman in TKatG is a nice touch, tying in a contemporary urban myth (which clearly riffs on Lovecraft) to the mythos we all know and love. As far as I can tell, Slenderman kicked off because of the Youtube series Marble Hornets. You can check out the first one here:

His predilection for mindgames, time-bending and all-round-creepiness reminds me of old Nyarly.

See what you think.

Best wishes

Pac_Man3D

I wonder if 'Dark Passenger' is a nod to Dexter?

Slenderman was created in a forum thread on something awful as the result of a contest. It's creator claims that it was inspired by the shadow people in Lovecraft's writings.

Edited by Howlix

Slenderman is modern but not really any lamer than adding a wolfman or a vampire or w/e. I have no problem with modern things like this being included. As long as it is a general thing, not like a film villain. Like I do not want to see Freddy or Candyman.

I think some modern ideas I'd be happy with would be the "black eyed children" meme and yeah Slenderman is not a myth it is a meme, but I guess these things need to start somewhere. Also in Supernatural they have this idea of a thought monster brought into being by belief. They call it a Tupla. I think that would fit in easy.