Okay this is a serious question…..seriously

By Tassedar, in Game Mechanics

Okay in an attempt to anticipate a issue that might and can happen.

One of you PC's gets pregnate here are the following questions

1. Should Setback dice be added and how many during a normal full term pregnancy or slowly increase over time till end of term.

2. Can or should critical hits or multpiple instances of strain to a PC have a chance to cause misscarriage

that is all please discuss.

Did one of your players roll a Despair result on a successful Charm check?

I suppose the answer to setback dice would be, it depends. If your PC is going to be pregnant for more than a couple sessions, giving her a setback die for every Brawn/Agility related skill would get old, FAST.

Secondly, this is Star Wars. IMO, it's not a setting where you should need to simulate pregnancy difficulties and complications due to wounds. So…unless a player wants his or her character to have a miscarriage, I would never be douchy enough of a GM to cause a miscarriage due to a critical hit. Especially since in this system wounds and critical hits can be rendered in a wide variety of narrative ways.

I will add, though, that there was a discussion about this on the Order 66 podcast for Saga Edition, and if I remember correctly an interesting suggestion was some negative modifier (probably -2) to all Dexterity-related skills but the pregnant woman gets the Rage species trait, as per Wookiees. So that might be kinda cool :-D Basically add a setback die to any Agility check if she's in her third trimester, but give her the Wookiee rage ability.

And if she's already a Wookiee….I dunno. Give her double-rage :)

But seriously, don't even touch the miscarriage part unless the player wants that to be part of the story. That's my two wupiupi.

EDIT: lol, Sturn

Yeah I wouldn't want to cause anything like that but if the player gets injured badly in a explosion or attacked by a rancor for example I know that can rp wise cause problems.

One thing to consider, is to for every month of the pregnancy, add 5 obligation (either family or pregnancy). Though they always say pregnancy is about 9 months, it's really about 10, so that's 50 obligation. This creates quite the problem. adventure wise. I'd mayber consider upgrading the difficulty to physical rolls, so rather then threat die, just upgrade one of the difficulty dice to a challenge.

Frankly, I wouldn't impose any penalties. This is Star Wars we are talking about, and not real life.

From the source material (RotS in this case) Padme is very pregnant, and participates in the story just fine. She is also choked to unconsciousness with no real consequences (death by broken heart notwithstanding).

I's add a black die in 2nd & 3rd trimester, and a difficulty upgrade on physical tasks in 3rd.

Ha ha this can't be a serious question.

Are you trying to recreate the prequels or something?

then add something to the discusion or dont say anything at all is wha this post was about. You do know chracters might get it on with npc's or pc's so that was why i asked.

Sturn said:

Did one of your players roll a Despair result on a successful Charm check?

lol! you made me choke on my drink.

This is Star Wars hindering a character because of a natural physical condition isn't fun, it's lame. Pregnant women have their limitations yes, but they are not all consuming handicaps. For the purposes of the game there should rarely be any effects on the mechanics at all, just some additional color to the gms descriptions and that's about it. While Padme may have sat out much of episode three, when the poo hit the fan she didn't hesitate to hop in her chrome ship and fly to volcano planet. No penalties, no weirdness, just play.

However, the fact that the OP even considered a miscarriage based on some die rol tells me that he's probably not mature enough to handle this scenario. Yes, you can work romance and family and other things into a game and have it add quite a lot, but the players and gm really need to know and understand what they are doing and how to handle iit. Probably better to retcon the issue or replace the character in question and move on before you end up getting stereotyped, and maybe revisit the idea down the road when you've got the experience as a gm to answer questions like this before you start. In the mean time if your players insist on hopping in the sack with every cantina waiter/waitress in the galaxy, just assume that the other party (if they are even interested) is on birth control and focus on getting back on the actual adventure.

ghost I only asked because it was brought to my attention by another player not by any willingness on my part. I meerly asked the question not to incite any anger or biterness if you feel angry about it fine but not my intention I only asked not that i would even concider it. which is why I didnt go all cavalier about it.

btw insulting maturity of players is not a good way to get on anyone's good side but thats me.

Ghostofman said:

This is Star Wars hindering a character because of a natural physical condition isn't fun, it's lame. Pregnant women have their limitations yes, but they are not all consuming handicaps. For the purposes of the game there should rarely be any effects on the mechanics at all, just some additional color to the gms descriptions and that's about it. While Padme may have sat out much of episode three, when the poo hit the fan she didn't hesitate to hop in her chrome ship and fly to volcano planet. No penalties, no weirdness, just play.

However, the fact that the OP even considered a miscarriage based on some die rol tells me that he's probably not mature enough to handle this scenario. Yes, you can work romance and family and other things into a game and have it add quite a lot, but the players and gm really need to know and understand what they are doing and how to handle iit. Probably better to retcon the issue or replace the character in question and move on before you end up getting stereotyped, and maybe revisit the idea down the road when you've got the experience as a gm to answer questions like this before you start. In the mean time if your players insist on hopping in the sack with every cantina waiter/waitress in the galaxy, just assume that the other party (if they are even interested) is on birth control and focus on getting back on the actual adventure.

accidental double post

thx aramis coulden't have said it better. at any rate just to clarify i would not as a gm condon that kind of mechanic in the game and if any player decided to rp such a horrible thing they would be banned immidiatly.

I still think pregnant females should get the Rage trait…just sayin…

aramis said:

Ghostofman said:

It was relevant in two novels… nothing immature about the topic except you overreaction to it.

Actually, the part where the original poster asks "does a crit kill the baby" kind of pole-vaulted into the realm of bad taste.

If you *really* have to go here, and I wish you wouldn't, but you want to, so I'm going to say that late 2nd trimester into 3rd trimester I'd either add a flat difficulty die to physical difficulties, or I'd consider upgrading difficulty dice. All non-physicals shouldn't exactly be impacted.

If you're going to expose said woman to combat, either handle it with some "fade to black" level of decorum or find a different hobby.

technicaly i said

"2. Can or should critical hits or multpiple instances of strain to a PC have a chance to cause misscarriage"

i do recall saying Can