Dark Side Transgressions

By Barefoottourguide, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Thinking about destiny points' duality and dark side points, I had a wild idea… if a truly dark side act is performed by a PC, flip over a light side point to dark side as if the point was spent. GM characters who perform such acts flip points from dark to light. This shows the flow of the balance of the Force… and it makes the group police itself of performing dark side actions.

Garrett

Barefoottourguide said:

Thinking about destiny points' duality and dark side points, I had a wild idea… if a truly dark side act is performed by a PC, flip over a light side point to dark side as if the point was spent. GM characters who perform such acts flip points from dark to light. This shows the flow of the balance of the Force… and it makes the group police itself of performing dark side actions.

Garrett

as long as that was understood from the start I see no problem.

ive chosen to use obligation to track dark side acts personally.

Thebearisdriving said:

ive chosen to use obligation to track dark side acts personally.

I like this MUCH better, Garret. It fits more with the EotE play I've done…

The problem I see with the destiny point idea is that you'll have players doing hideously dark side stuff all the time. Because pretty much ALL the GM is going to do is hideous dark side stuff… so he'll be flipping darks to lights all the time. This would give my players the ammunition to get even more dark…

I think it'd be cool to make the players flip a Light Sight Destiny Point for some truly Dark Side acts…but I wouldn't put the same limitations on GM characters. If anything, it should be a mirror image: the evil NPC does something truly selfless and sacrifices himself to save his beloved. The Light Side prevails, giving the heroes a Light Side Destiny Point.

Because like GM Chris said, NPCs are normally going to be doing all sorts of dark side stuff. No sense crippling the GM like that :)

EDIT: HEY! I CAN POST AGAIN! I so happy…

As a mini example from the old republic game:

there is a part of a very early group mission where you have to decide whether or not to vent an engineering section and the people in it to save the ship.

Lets say your a republic trooper with debt to the republic. If you chose to vent the compartment, you might lower your debt to the republic because you saved a cruiser full of people and equipment. However you might gain some obligation to the dark side.

Alternatively, if you freed a bunch of hutt slaves you might lower your dark side obligation, but increase an obligation to the hutts.

As plot hooks dark side obligation takes the form of imperial attention, rogue Jedi, and "principled" freedom fighters. Some one may have caught wind of your reputation, or a criminal syndicate might think you're the right party/person for a job.

Eventually, if a force user turns, the obligation flips, and increases when you ignore the bad and focus on the good.

In this way, tracked as obligation, it's easier to set up guidelines for how characters gain/lose the influence, and gives the GM a lot of narrative control.

Barefoottourguide said:

Garrett

The PC side of things, flipping a Light to Dark if they get too evil (answer is "Yes" to four or more of GM Sarli's list of questions), I could see as being okay, since it does help police PC actions and keep them from acting too much like the leads in a Quentin Tarantino movie.

As for flipping it if the NPCs do something heinous, not so much, since the major villains are generally going to be nasty pieces of work anyway.

Although, as a possible add-on, if an NPC or a PC performs a truly noble/light side action, perhaps then the GM could flip a Dark Side DP to a Light Side DP, This would have to be a pretty rare act, quite possibly going along the guidelines for earning a new Force Point in the WEG D6 version.

Or if a PC does an act of redemption flip dark to light, Dono.

Garrett