Buy Beginner game or wait?

By jesminya, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

So, I'm posting here because I just can't seem to make a decision based on the articles on the product I've read here. Is is prudent to buy this beginner set game for now, knowing that I will have to have the full rules set of the game before really being able to play this game properly? Will there be a full ruleset with dice, or is this a good way to pick up those dice early with a sort of rules preview? Looking forward to the game but don't want to buy redundant products either.

• You get the dices
  • You get 4 pre-gen to run an adventure right away (no downtime trying to create characters)
  • You get an adventure to run right away, out of the box, no need to prepare (but to read quickly as your players are reading their pre-gen)
  • You get a very nice map, on card stock, of the YT-1300

I say that most people will buy both, and I definitely will.

Cheers

Ceodryn

Since there will be a delay in publishing between Beginner - Core, lots of us fans will run out to buy the Beginner set.

My play group for games of all sorts includes primarily familiy members. With nephews at college, I'm down to only one nephew and a wife for games such as this. My wife isn't big on RPGs, but she has attempted them. She didn't last long in my SAGA campaign, for example, before growing bored. I'm hoping the Beginner set is a quick introduction for her and she will be on board and roll up a character later for an actual campaign.

mindy said:

So, I'm posting here because I just can't seem to make a decision based on the articles on the product I've read here. Is is prudent to buy this beginner set game for now, knowing that I will have to have the full rules set of the game before really being able to play this game properly? Will there be a full ruleset with dice, or is this a good way to pick up those dice early with a sort of rules preview? Looking forward to the game but don't want to buy redundant products either.

Aside from getting the dice (probably worth about $15 on their own), there's also the fact that a release date for the corebook has yet to be announced. It could be as early as January (highly unlikely), or it could be as late as GenCon 2013.

However, if you're that uncertain, I'd suggest waiting at least a few days after the Beginner's Box is released, so that you can read some reviews and get an idea of just what exactly it contains, and if it's something you'll want to spend your money on.