So I read the previews. Warhammer Fantasy in space?

By Fenderstat, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

So after reading the previews the dice is pretty much the same. The skills behave in a similar fashion. The way you build your pool is the same and interpreting results is the same.

This is not a bad thing. The best thing about wfrp3 is the narrative dice (unless your a number cruncher).

Not quite.

While the basic concepts are the same, the specific execution of things are quite different, as a few folks over in the EotE Beta forum who'd played WFRP3e have noted, with the dice being one of them (the placement of symbols on the EotE dice and die types are quite different from WFRP3e).

I also figure the magic system in WFRP3e is quite different from how the Force appears to be handled in EotE.

On the upside, since you're pretty familiar with WFRP3e, you won't have quite the hurdle in getting used to EotE's mechanics that many folks who came over from the WotC d20-based versions have had to leap.

From what I understand, the WHFRP3e dice have both positive and negative results on each die. The dice for EotE have only positive results on 3 dice (Ability, Proficiency and Boost) and only negative results on 3 dice (Difficulty, Challenge and Setback).

Kallabecca said:

From what I understand, the WHFRP3e dice have both positive and negative results on each die. The dice for EotE have only positive results on 3 dice (Ability, Proficiency and Boost) and only negative results on 3 dice (Difficulty, Challenge and Setback).

The WFRP stance dice (which swap out for attribute dice) have minor negatives; the ability dice, bonus dice and skill dice don't. Likewise, the WFRP difficulty and setback dice have only negative results.

The problem is that stance dice were pretty essential to the way things worked.

The stance system was the thing I liked best about WHRP3e, sadly I didn't feel that great about the rest of the game (It's a fine system, I just prefer 2e)

What EotE changes, and does so really well I think, is it gets rid of the cards that were a big part of WFRP. This cuts down SO MUCH of the rigmarole of the game, from managing and selecting cards to tracking cooldowns, etc. (no "Delay" tokens, yay!). The dice are simplier too due to the lack of a stance system.

With the exception of the dice, EotE is much more traditional tabletop roleplaying than the prop-centric nature of WFRP3e