What was the first ever FFG game?

By RJM, in Legacy Game Discussion

Just because I'm intrigued that we have so many interesting sub-forums on these boards, I thought I'd ask. What exactly was the first game FFG ever released?

It was Twilight Imperium , in 1997.

Thanks, 433. I guess I should have figured. I thought maybe there was some secret rare pseudo-publication or something that I wouldn't have known of. :-) Ah well.

Little is it known that in 1996 they published the original first edition of Fluffy the Wonderdog Versus the Forces of Chaos . There's never been a reprint. It is sad.

</joke>

Never got to play the original Twilight Imperium but two publications after that (iirc) was Thunder's Edge which is the prequel to TI (and the basis of the creation of Sol-Gov) and was quite awesome for the time and now, having seen the old rules for TI, feel that Thunder's Edge was the better game.

Would dearly love to see it updated but I'm still quite happy with the original and it's expansion. Space battles, orbital bombardment, drop ships, massive land battles with dozens of units, huge focus on fortifying cities and holding out from there as well as a big splash of politics with the Senate. That and I just heart the Hexes.

1997? Ahhh... fond memories!

Disk Wars playtests were also 'back when' - and quite a load of fun!

You could make a case for Blue Planet - which I believe FFG currently owns, although it was first created in 1996-ish...

How about the very short lived Twlight Imperium rpg? I wonder if I still have my copy.

In some ways, I'm saddened that neither Thunder's Edge of Battlemist every got reprinted, but then again Battlelore sorta takes the place of one of those games. (although, now I'm curious as to whether the new unDune might not be an updated Thunder's Edge. Hmmm).

Pneumonica said:

Little is it known that in 1996 they published the original first edition of Fluffy the Wonderdog Versus the Forces of Chaos . There's never been a reprint. It is sad.

</joke>

A lot of folks don't remember that it was known for being the first coffin box release too. The puppy that came with the game was an incredible production value at the time. Sadly the SPCA got involved and stopped FFG from releasing actual wonderdogs with the game. The giant thick cardboard wonderdog just wasn't the same and sales dropped off. A shame really...

Pneumonica said:

</joke>

Is it wrong to say that I wouldn't mind trying out that game. I mean after playing games like "Gother Then Thou", Fluffy would HAVE to be better.

(Sorry for the OT)

433 said:

hmm, I thought the company had longer history.

flervk said:

433 said:

hmm, I thought the company had longer history.

Yeah, me too.

I still have my first edition (without box, sadly), and - call me old fashoined - I preferred punching couters to twisting plastic...

During one of my moves I must have lost one of the race cards and I asked FFG if they had any left.

They were very friendly but nevertheless didnt have any left.

It's interesting to find out that FFG were just a twinkle in the eye of much older established games companies - I, like some here, thought that they had been around much longer - to have turned out so many quality games in such a short time attests to some serious endeavor.

RedMike said:

It's interesting to find out that FFG were just a twinkle in the eye of much older established games companies - I, like some here, thought that they had been around much longer - to have turned out so many quality games in such a short time attests to some serious endeavor.

which makes their nonexistent support for games pre 2003 even more shameful.

Those games deserve more than a well hidden left-over corner at their general discussion-board... sad.gif

Dragonstar .... I picked up the free introductory adventure at my first Gen Con UK and bought the whole thing just on that ... I love the setting and the Galactic Races is genius and worth using in any setting

Dang, I could have swore it was Golf-Mania, since they gave me a free one when I bought Battlemist the Gencon it came out. Usually don't give out

new games for freebies, but then again, FFG has always been gamer-friendly like that.