Anyone using pre-painted terrain?

By Kriegschatten, in Dust Tactics

Since the pre-painted Dust Tactics minis aren't expensive enough (he said sarcastically), I've been thinking about adding some pre-painted terrain to my setup.

I was originally thinking of getting some of those Gale Force 9 Battlefield in a Box pine trees, but it looks like those are no longer made (grrrrr…).

Then I came across wartornworlds.com, which makes some pretty sweet rocky outcroppings which seem like they might work great as impassable terrain for the arctic maps.

spire5_medium.jpg?0

spire2_medium.jpg?0

At $10 a piece, they seem pretty reasonably priced, too.

Is anyone else using pre-painted terrain? If so, what has been your experience?

I use pre-painted terrain, both some I made myself and from other manufacturers. I like the GaleForce 9 stuff -- check ebay, as I see the OOP boxes come up on there regularly. I also like the stuff from Palo, which I don't think is over priced. If you take into account the price of the miniature, doubling the price for pre-painted is in line with the least expensive painting service around here -- the retail price for a basic paint job.

When time or space issues are present (packing to a tourney), I do fall back on the two-dimensional tiles, but prefer three-dimensional terrain. The terrain you posted is used at my LGS and seems robust and very handy.

Cheers!

For the past few months, I've been experimenting with using some toy trees made by Schleich in my Dust Tactics games.

It's been working well so far. The trees are slightly bigger than I would like, but they fit pretty well in a single terrain square. And their large size does give you the feeling of fighting across some primeval wilderness on the Eastern front.

They seem very sturdy, and can be disassembled pretty easily, so I wouldn't hesitate to travel with them to your local game night.

Here are some pics:

SchleichTree2_zpsf135dc4e.jpg

SchleichTree3_zpsfa6d27b4.jpg

SchleichTree4_zps3555e5f7.jpg

And a few pics of them on the table:

DustTacticsTrees1_zpsa83845e5.jpg

DustTacticsTrees4_zpsce9d0a4b.jpg

DustTacticsTrees2_zps4413c977.jpg

Might have to buy me some