The Stonewall Conspiracy (Theorycrafting)

By danach82, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Hello everyone-

For my first real deck post, I just wanted to throw out this idea to see if others have tried it with any real success, and if there might be some superficial changes to make before I really go into playtesting this. I obviously need to take out roughly 3-5 cards, but at this point I see a purpose for any and all of them.

The idea of this deck is to make your opponent work for you by stalling your opponent's successes and attacking only critical stories to get a few success tokens yourself, then manipulating tokens or rushing for a win. This deck is theoretically made to factor in heavy destruction decks with cards like Dutch Courage/Jamburg, High Strength with Laban and Peter Clover, and Negotium with cards like Patsy, Obfuscation (to stall while you power through), and characters powered by conspiracies. Nyarly is only there for BS,BT to further stall.

You want to build up to 2-2-1 or 3-1-1 based on your hand, gradually getting up to 4-2-1 only on the turn to play the Hack Journalist in for surprise wins.

Character
Hack Journalist (DD) x2
Maurice Diggs (SoK) x2
Catacombs Docent (SoK) x3
Lucas Tetlow (SoK) x2
Patsy (Core) x2
Amaranth (SoK) x1
Dr. Bartlett (TOotST) x2
Tattooed Thug (TC) x3
The Red-Gloved Man (WitD) x2
Tragic Celebrity (CoC) x2
Eryn Cochwyn (TBJ) x2
Whitton Greene (SoK) x2
Dr. Carson (TSotS) x2
Peter Clover (SoK) x2
Mad Genius (Core) x3
Dr. Laban Shrewsbury (WaB) x1
Archaeology Interns (IT) x2
Marcus Jamburg (***) x2
Nyarlathotep (JtUK) x1

Support
Mu (SoK) x3
The Necronomicon: Al Azif (TUP) x1
Academic Obfuscation (TAD) x3
Forbidden Knowledge (TWC) x1
Dutch Courage (Core) x3

Event
Moving the Scenery (Core) x2
Scandal (TGS) x2

Conspiracy
Combing the Archives (LR) x2

Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated. I hope we can generate a lot of content-driven discussions in the space between box releases while the cardpool is fixed.

Cheers-

Danigral

I have not tried a deck like this (so I'm not sure how much I can help), but I have played against a few who use the Syndicate tricks to steal stories. Hack Journalist in particular, if played at the right time can be a big swing. I've been thinking about trying a deck with him and the new Syndicate prophecy event to pop him into play and swipe tokens.

I can give a few base suggestions based on the list, for example you might need some protection from Silver Twilight bounce effects. It can be tough to get board position if they get rolling. Also, a good suggestion might be Flux Stabilizer. Since you don't have any cards that pop into play via effect, it is a great counter to many decks out there. Museum Curator might help as well to dig out those Dutch Courages.

Have you tried playing with it yet?

badash56 said:

I have not tried a deck like this (so I'm not sure how much I can help), but I have played against a few who use the Syndicate tricks to steal stories. Hack Journalist in particular, if played at the right time can be a big swing. I've been thinking about trying a deck with him and the new Syndicate prophecy event to pop him into play and swipe tokens.

I can give a few base suggestions based on the list, for example you might need some protection from Silver Twilight bounce effects. It can be tough to get board position if they get rolling. Also, a good suggestion might be Flux Stabilizer. Since you don't have any cards that pop into play via effect, it is a great counter to many decks out there. Museum Curator might help as well to dig out those Dutch Courages.

Have you tried playing with it yet?

Not yet, but I hope to try out Lackey for the first time over the holiday.

What would you take out for the Curator? I'd probably have to try it out to see which success token manipulation character is hardest to pull off and replace it. On paper they all seem as viable. I do like the idea of Flux Stabilizer too, which would cut down on those Hounds and Fanatics.

Ideally against an opponent, I would get 1-3 tokens on a story through effects, then swing with Moving the scenery and additional investigation struggles.

Another idea I had was with Eureka! (a research card) which can be reduced to 2 cost with the Graduate Student (who doesn't have the requisite "to a limit of one" on his reduction ability btw!). I've played a couple games where I was able to get the story in one go just by taking 1 wound on a character (the insane character was quickly restored with Mu).

Yeah might be a good idea to try it out and see which characters you like and don't like. I think I will try to get Lackey up and running this weekend too, maybe we could play some matches?

I am a huge fan of Flux Stabilizer. So many people rely on characters entering play via effect, you can really mess up their game plan if you get it out turn 1.

Just popped back for a quick look. Can't exactly go cold turkey but I'm slowly gonna ween myself away from the forums ( haha ). Flux Stabiliser is a fantastic anti 'meta' card because as you said it seems a lot of people are relying on cards like Black Dog and Master of the Myths. I've said it before, but I wonder if Neutral Ground is ever gonna get used for this same attack on the popular cards. Basically it neuters ( or severely limits ) cards like :

Nyarlathotep

Marcus Jamburg

Descendent of Eibon

Red Gloved Man

Diseased Sewer Rats

Seeker of Mysteries

Julia Brown

Mage Known as Magnus

Nodens

(Guardian Pillar - this one I'm not sure how it effects once it becomes a Character and whether Invulnerability is considered in the textbox and the timing between exhausting, gaining the icons etc and the passive effect ).

Seeing as 3 ( 4 ) of these cards are on the restricted list, lately if I can spare the space I sometimes have a couple of copies just in case and have so far found that it can really mess with an opponents plans.

Thanks, guys. I like the idea of Flux Stabilizer, but I'm having trouble balancing the faction spread. I'm considering taking out the conspiracy element (which would be unfortunate since I've been trying for weeks to work this theme into a deck), but that would remove 6 low cost Syndicate characters and would make resourcing problematic. If I did so, it'd probably look like this:

Character
Hack Journalist (DD) x3 <-- Up to three copies in case I need to resource it early
Maurice Diggs (SoK) x2
Catacombs Docent (SoK) x3
Lucas Tetlow (SoK) x2
Patsy (Core) x3 <--Up to x3 for resourcing and more stalling
Eryn Cochwyn (TBJ) x2
Whitton Greene (SoK) x2
Dr. Carson (TSotS) x2
Peter Clover (SoK) x3 <--Up to x3 for resourcing
Mad Genius (Core) x3
Dr. Laban Shrewsbury (WaB) x1
Archaeology Interns (IT) x3 <--Up to x3 to help with draw after taking out Tragic Celebrity
Marcus Jamburg (***) x2
Nyarlathotep (JtUK) x1
Museum Curator (TWB) x2 <-- to search out Dutch Courage and Flux Stabilizer
Expendable Muscle (TPtY) x2 <--added for addition protection from combat struggles

Support
Mu (SoK) x3
The Necronomicon: Al Azif (TUP) x1
Academic Obfuscation (TAD) x3
Forbidden Knowledge (TWC) x1
Dutch Courage (Core) x3
Flux Stabilizer (PT) x3 <-- No more Fanatics / Hounds / Mya Badry / Twilight Gate!!!

Event
Moving the Scenery (Core) x2
Scandal (TGS) x2

I'm not sold on Neutral Ground, as it seems to me that most decks only run less than 15-20% neutral cards. It also won't help against Descendant since his ability is triggerable in the discard and NG wouldn't affect it since it's not in play. I can see it being helpful in other circumstances, though.

Not sure I understood your remark about Overworked Graduate Student: "who doesn't have the requisite "to a limit of one" on his reduction ability btw"

Overworked Graduate Student
[Miskatonic University] Seekers of Knowledge F17 / Illustrateur : Alexandre Dainche
[Character] - Faculty. Student.
Coût : 1 / Skill : 0 / Icones : AA
Descriptif : The cost of the first Research card you play each turn is reduced by 2 (to a minimum of 1) . Action: Exhaust Overworked Graduate Student to reduce the cost of the next Student or Faculty character you play this phase by 1.
Citation : "I've never even seen my professor. He has his grad student teaching all of his classes."

Actually he does have the limitation "to a limit of 1"… pensativo

Otherwise, nice deck.

FredhoT said:

Not sure I understood your remark about Overworked Graduate Student: "who doesn't have the requisite "to a limit of one" on his reduction ability btw"

Overworked Graduate Student
[Miskatonic University] Seekers of Knowledge F17 / Illustrateur : Alexandre Dainche
[Character] - Faculty. Student.
Coût : 1 / Skill : 0 / Icones : AA
Descriptif : The cost of the first Research card you play each turn is reduced by 2 (to a minimum of 1) . Action: Exhaust Overworked Graduate Student to reduce the cost of the next Student or Faculty character you play this phase by 1.
Citation : "I've never even seen my professor. He has his grad student teaching all of his classes."

Actually he does have the limitation "to a limit of 1"… pensativo

Otherwise, nice deck.

I was referring to his ability reducing the cost of Student or Faculty by 1 (not Research). This means I can put a 1 cost Student of Faculty character into play without using a domain.

AGoT DC Meta said:

I was referring to his ability reducing the cost of Student or Faculty by 1 (not Research). This means I can put a 1 cost Student of Faculty character into play without using a domain.

However, there's a bunch of (well known) cards that can be put into play for free.