New factions.??

By Mastarman, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

hello

can we hope according to you the return of fzctions like Tully (good house), night watch or wilding??

i am sure that nobody know but it costs nothing to ask.

Depends on what you mean be "factions." I personally would say we will never see House Tully, Night's Watch or Wildlings as their own House cards that can be played as their own "faction." (And if FFG ever DID do that before beefing up Greyjoy and Martell for the LCG-only environment, I think we'd see mutiny.)

However, I think that it is entirely possible that we could see Chapter Pack cycles that concentrate on Night's Watch, Wildlings, Tullys or other "trait houses, past and future, allowing you to build the theme into any existing House (with obvious preferences where it works best) in such a way that while your House card says "Stark," you are essentially playing a Tully deck.

How cool would that be? Six Chapter Packs that essentially run through the Red Wedding and the Siege at Riverrun? Or that run through the Great Ranging and the flight from the Fist? (BTW: I don't see the name dropping as spoilers - sorry if someone else does.)

ktom said:

Depends on what you mean be "factions." I personally would say we will never see House Tully, Night's Watch or Wildlings as their own House cards that can be played as their own "faction." (And if FFG ever DID do that before beefing up Greyjoy and Martell for the LCG-only environment, I think we'd see mutiny.)

Lol, like we haven't had any of those before....

But yeah, those are some interesting ideas for Chapter packs. Would be a good excuse to experiment more with some dual house cards as well.

I'd be really interested to see some more "Nedly" dual house cards. Instead of just "pick two houses, go have fun," it'd be really neat to see, for instance, a Stark/Martell Alliance that captured the flavor of the relationship between the two houses. I don't know quite what that would be, but something along the lines of the old Night's Watch agenda.

I don't think a CP that is strictly one Trait would go over well. The poeple (like me) who want to build a Night's Watch deck will buy 3 copies, but anyone not interested in the cards will buy 0, unless there is a god anti-Trait tech piece, or some amazing card that is good in any deck. However, as a sub theme in a cycle of CPs, these ideas could be well developed. In the cycle, you could follow a few different Traits, build in 1-3 cards of each trait, maybe heavy on one trait for that CPs theme, and at the end you have a fully developed cycle for the trait. Imagine a NIght's Watch theme, where in the first few CPs you get 3 unique characters, 3 non-unique characters, two events, a plot and a location. Then in the fourth CP you get Castle Black reprinted, and the promo Old Bear Mormont from WED. Your Night's Watch deck has suddenly become very useful, but in the fifth pack yu only get one NW character, and some anti-NW tech, and in the last CP a handful of cards that round out the cycle, both for and against.

These are the ideas that I think the Chapter Pack model can really explore, and in fact enhance the game with. I don't buy into the whole idea of "That card was a rare I chased for dozens of packs, now anyone can get it." argument. The LCG format is more about the game, not card hunting. Sure, it could be somewhat disheartening, but that is what the LCG model is about. I think the longer this game survives in the new format, the better it will become.

Well, I think those kinds of chapter packs would have to be viewed almost as addendums to the core set. I"ve been thinking on that for a whiie, and may post my 'fantasy' chapter packs/vision for the game. But, I think you could have a 40 card chapter pack for Greyjoy, and Martell, and, personally, could even have a separate pack for Tyrell, Tully and Arryn as their own houses.

I think that you could entice the Stark, Bara, Targ, and Lanni players by including dual house characters and neutrals. For instance, fill out those packs by including Night's Watch, Wildlings, and Brotherhood characters in each (I'd spread those out as opposed to having a single pack).

Examples:

Martell would include a neutral Anguy the Archer, L/M Queen Myrcella,

Tyrell would include: Samwell Tarly (N), a B/Y (Bara/Tyrell) Knight of Flowers, L/Y Margaery

Tully could include: Ser Denys Mallister (N), Tom Sevenstrings (N), a S/U (Stark/Tully) Catelyn,

Can easily cover all combos with some non-uniques as well: T/U House Darry Knight, B/A (Arryn) Bastard of Robert, a M/S House Dayne character,

I think you get the jist of it (I'm still waiting for several characters I'd then like to see in future chapter packs: a B/A Ser Robar Royce

The only real difference these chapter packs would have vs a 'normal' chapter pack is that instead of 10x1 and 10x3, most cards would be single copies (excepting the locations/resources). Just include 3 Fiefdoms, a house Card, and reprint a plot.

That could put those houses on the board/make them playable, even if they get far fewer cards/are less competetive than the 'Big 4'

Yes! As usual LoB sums up my feelings precisely. Chapter Packs liek that would be quite good and would appeal to the purists out there. i suspect most of the Jaimes are gone now anyway.

Actually it would be pretty easy to do a Chapter PAc or cycle of packs based on Greyjou and Martell chapters of the book, or even things in recent history.

The model put forward here is apretty good, but you could get away with it even with the current model if you split non-Martell (or whatever the featured houseis) cards up to be more dual house, so MArtell could get twice as many playable cards that they would otherwise, but each other house still walks away with the same number they would have had in a normal CP.

Also some sort of alliance House card or new Agenda could easily make the side houses pretty competitive despite the lack of heavy concentration.

I just really don't see a downside to doing this. That would be 5 'core addition' chapter packs, and then going forward, the 'normal' chapter packs could still have just as many cards for the 'big 4' houses as they currently have.

Figure that with 9 total houses and nuetrals, equal math would be 2 new cards each (so a Stark player would get 2 house cards and 2 nuetrals added to the pool/collection). Now, however, throw in just a couple of dual-house cards per pack, and cut the allocation to the 'Little 5' to one card four out of five packs, and you're right back to the 'Big 4' houses getting 4 new cards (4 of 5 packs, 3 the 5th) and 2 nuetrals (6 playable cards) to their pool EACH chapter pack.

I haven't done the math/confirmed with existing packs; but, my first impression is that's at least as good as what each house is currently getting, and maybe even better. And we've done it with just 10% of the card pool being nuetral and only 10% dual-house cards.

I would REALLY like it if FFG did this (hear me o FFG gods - Nate/Christian, how many sheep must I slaughter for thee?)

I could see mini-houses...

They introduce them with an alliance card in a chapter pack (so other houses can use them), then the next 5 or so have 1 - 2 house specific cards.

Maybe a set of uniques and resource cards but have most of the "utility" non-unique cards be dual house. And the chapter packs after that block might introduce a couple dual house cards for them... but otherwise cap it.

That would be for say... Tyrell, Frey, and Arryn. Greyjoy and Martell should be restored to full house status.

I wouldn't want allaince cards - i would prefer to see more of the dual House mechanic that LOB has developed here.

Agreed. No need for a bunch of different alliance type agendas - Just reprint the Treaty Agenda and be done with it if that's your thing/you want to be able to use some cards without running these houses separately.

At the very least, this really should be done for Martell and Greyjoy. I'd really like to see it done for Tyrell, Arryn and Tully as well -as their own houses so they could be played on their own. I'm not calling for more than 9 houses/a bunch of mini-houses here - the 'House X' traits are fine for Boltons, Umbers, Freys, Florents, Dothraki, Daynes, etc. etc.

And I think that wildlings and Night's Watch are perfect nuetral choices for the utilitiy/Jaime type cards that go in every deck. There probably should be a couple of these in every deck - that aspect of Winter block was a good one - it just wasn't executed well/was overdone. Personally I prefer more powerful locations working of the traits as opposed to an Agenda for a wildling or Night's Watch only deck; but, an agenda for each would be OK as long as the Agendas don't become commonplace (as I said above, we don't need them for all the House X traits).

Ned in me is undecided as to weather Brotherhood characters should really be nuetral or a bunch of dual-housed characters tied to Baratheon (kind of the Robert contingent of the 3 Bara brothers)