My rules for gaming.

By fallengamer13, in Deathwatch House Rules

So as anyone can guess from the title's name, this topic will talk about my rules for character creation in the game along with rules.

First off, Minimum starting stat for a character is 40. The change here is that instead of rolling 2d10's, you roll 1d10. In addition, starting out characters get 1,500 from char creation instead of the 1,000 prescribed in the rulebook.

Second item, Chapter and Adv. spec. For the chapters, I will allow any/all that follow these guide-lines. The biggest is simple, any chapter made using the rules in rites of battle and/or honor the chapter, can be used EXCEPT joke versions, (Ex, angry marines.) Along with the Fire angels and legion of the damned. The reason for the last 2 is that I believe that they are the same chapter so its up to you to decide if this is in the game along with some other changes.

Adv. spec. Now, I consider the Black shield adv. spec to be a form of Chapter, NOT a speciality. The reason is that you have removed your chapter from other's knowledge. Now how many adv. specs you can use in my rule? A maximum of 2 (or 3 if your a tempest blade O.o) just for multiple uses. I usually give my players the Kill-marine adv.spec for free because they sometimes have VERY big fights. As such, I made it so that if they have a dissagreement/more than one way of thinking, they could do it themself.

Hope you guys enjoyed this.

I get that you want to take the player character's out of the 30's segment, but you're still going to have to deal with some players that manage to roll 50 for some characteristics and other players that do not. I don't know if you consider "player stat envy" to be a problem or not. If you do, a suggestion: Each player gets to pick one "primary" characteristic for his character that gets set to 50, and rolls 1d10+39 for the others. This means the player has one characteristic that is sure to break the 50-mark, and with any luck he can get one or two more with his chapter bonuses, while the rest remain in the respectable 40's.

-K

understood, so far, Ive had no issue with this but it will be helpfull in a future scenario.

So is everything else I put in my 'rules of gaming' alright? Besides the Characteristics and all. I do the detailed method of giving exp. so I can avoid giving too much out at one point. Is this alright to use and all?

Honestly it takes a lot of xp and in game roleplaying to get into all ofthe advanced specialities so i don't see an issue with leaving them uncapped. If a player really wants to be a tyrranic war veteran/forgemaster/dreadnought then so be it, but he'll be spending valuable XP and time on working towards it. He'll end up with a very flavourful character with some unique abilities (especially if you end up as a dreadnought) but with many downsides (including having spent less xp on actual advances).