Clarifications - Not covered in the rules

By lupex, in Game Mechanics

As we have come to the end of our regular updates, but we still have a few weeks to go for the Beta feedback, I thought that it might be a good idea to try to capture some of the outstanding issues, or issues that are hidden in a myriad of other threads, that we may need clarified in the published book such as;

Are attacks with starship ion weapons affected by starship defence, which mainly represents shields?

lupex said:

As we have come to the end of our regular updates, but we still have a few weeks to go for the Beta feedback, I thought that it might be a good idea to try to capture some of the outstanding issues, or issues that are hidden in a myriad of other threads, that we may need clarified in the published book such as;

Are attacks with starship ion weapons affected by starship defence, which mainly represents shields?

I'm not quoting the rulebook, since I don't know. Glancing through I don't see any exceptions to defense for Ion vs. Blaster weapons. But I think you could justify Ion weapons having some sort of bonus vs. defense in my opinion. See the example of the Ion Cannon vs. a Star Destroyer in the Empire Strikes Back. Of course that was a huge-honking ion cannon, but it didn't appear the Star Destroyer's defenses/shields had any chance against it.

Here are a few rules that had me flip pages forever that could use some more visibility or clarification:

Melee/Brawl Damage :

• I know it has to be there somewhere but I still can't locate the text that says you have to add Brawn to melee and brawl weapons damage. I know it's self explanatory buy I still can't find it.

Starship Repairs:

• It looks like there is only to way to repair starship damage: 1) Once per encounter with the Damage control (Not evident how much), and 2) By paying 500 credits by point of hull integrity lost. Sounds like a PC mechanic cannot repair hull damage outside combat.

Attack beyond a weapon's max range :

• I assume that it is impossible to make an attack beyond a weapon's range but I can't seem to locate that rule.

Environmental conditions (Boost and setback dices):

• I'd like to see a more detailed list of possible environmental conditions that add setback dice. A lot of my PCs have talents that allows them to ignore setback dices with certain skills but they're mostly go unused. Probably my failing.

Character sheet:

• It could use some improvements. On top of my head: More room for gear, maximum encumbrance, critical damage.

Computer skill and slicing:

• Maybe a little more detail about the use of the computer skill and slicing. Perhaps the addition of a list of different computer types and surveillance/security devices to the equipment section with their respective difficulty to hack.

Tools (Equipment):

• It looks that different tool kits work in different ways depending on the skill they're made for. Medpacks grant a bonus dice while Slicer kits and toolkits only make it possible to perform the skill. Is it what's intended?

Rarity and Black market:

• Simplify please! Especially when it comes to prices.

Attachment and modification :

• Either clarify or give some examples of how much it costs to add an attachment with multiple modification options. Also, what happens when the mechanic check is failed?

Food and Services :

• Maybe a little table with a few examples. How much for a bottle of fine brandy? A night in an expensive hotel? A cab fare? Just a few examples so we can estimate the rest more easily.

Aazlain said:

Here are a few rules that had me flip pages forever that could use some more visibility or clarification:

Melee/Brawl Damage :

• I know it has to be there somewhere but I still can't locate the text that says you have to add Brawn to melee and brawl weapons damage. I know it's self explanatory buy I still can't find it.

Starship Repairs:

• It looks like there is only to way to repair starship damage: 1) Once per encounter with the Damage control (Not evident how much), and 2) By paying 500 credits by point of hull integrity lost. Sounds like a PC mechanic cannot repair hull damage outside combat.

I know these two were covered fairly early on in the updates.