Got it to table…

By AK_Aramis, in General Discussion

Got the game to table tonight.

Session started about 6:30, ran to about 9:15.

Started with Character Gen. Due to various distractions, took to about 7:45 to get 3 characters generated.

C: Northwest Smith, Human Explorer/Trader, Debt Obligation 35. Cr1500 in gear.

J: Dayton Thai, Human Merc, Obsession Obligation 25, Cr1500 in gear

R: Dando, Bothan Smuggler/Pilot, Beytrayal Obligation 25, Cr1500 in gear.

Ship is a YT1300… because I had the plans with.

The guys Focused upon attribute raises.

The Debt Obligation triggered right off.

Once we got rolling, it was pretty smooth. All of us a somewhat familiar (me the least) with WFRP3, and we were using the FFG die-roller.

I found out that a 5 minion group with only melee gets their but KICKED by a competent blaster-man as they close.

Things I definitely want for next session:

• Poker Chips for Wounds (Red) and Stress (White)
  • Poker chips for number of minions in group (Green, I think)
  • An initiative track and markers. (Probably steal those from my WFRP3 set)
  • Othello pieces for Destiny Point markers.
  • "Got a blue die on my next action" marker. (Blue Poker Chip?)
  • "Got a black die on my next action" marker. (Black Poker Chip?)

Play is actually quite smooth. They intimidated the Hutt's henchman on Tatooine.

aramis said:

Things I definitely want for next session:

• Poker Chips for Wounds (Red) and Stress (White)
  • Poker chips for number of minions in group (Green, I think)
  • An initiative track and markers. (Probably steal those from my WFRP3 set)
  • Othello pieces for Destiny Point markers.
  • "Got a blue die on my next action" marker. (Blue Poker Chip?)
  • "Got a black die on my next action" marker. (Black Poker Chip?)

Poker chips are kinda large. Perhaps consider those flat-on-one-side glass beed thingys you can pick up at craft stores or even Walmart. I had a large collection of those, bought cheaply, for WFRP3.

Edit: How many Othello discs would I need? Is 10 enough?

To the OP:

I specifically like your ideas for blue/black tokens to track boost dice and setback dice. That is a really great idea.

Also, the wound point/Strain tokens are nice too, though you'll need a lot of those.

Sturn said:

Poker chips are kinda large. Perhaps consider those flat-on-one-side glass beed thingys you can pick up at craft stores or even Walmart. I had a large collection of those, bought cheaply, for WFRP3.

Edit: How many Othello discs would I need? Is 10 enough?

I HATE GLASS BEADS! They go everywhere. You can't stack them. They get broken too easily. They aren't consistently sized. And, they're expensive.

Seriously, poker chips are much nicer at table, quieter to travel with (albeit bigger) and much neater on table. 90% of the people I've used good (10.5g) poker chips much prefer them to beads, as they take much less table space in practice. I bought a 300 chip set for $16 at walmart… and they're the same feel as the more expensive ones friends ordered. Plus, players make far less noise with them, and they're harder to damage.

Note: The el-cheapo $4 plastic chip sets suck - noisy, and the current ones stack only one direction.

Othello disks: 2 per player.

Thebearisdriving said:

To the OP:

I specifically like your ideas for blue/black tokens to track boost dice and setback dice. That is a really great idea.

Also, the wound point/Strain tokens are nice too, though you'll need a lot of those.

Not much more than 20 wounds/strain per player. I've got plenty of chips.

I love poker chips, too, but I've noticed that players love them too… to a fault. They love doing that thing where they drop them from 1 hand to the other, then back, then forth, then back, then you get the point.

I've been using the tokens to represent "Boost next turn, " and "Setback next turn." I've been using beer bottle caps, folded inward with a piece of paper with a doodle on it. I've actually got 2 tokens for each die, only 1 for the Force die (no one is playing a Force User Exile yet). I want to make a few more, which should help out a lot, especially Boost and Setback.

For groups of minions, I just use a group of minis (I've got a fair amount of 'em from WotC's line). For Wounds and Strain, I'd love to use poker chips, but I don't think the players want to do that yet. I'll talk to them about it, maybe they'll change their minds.

For the terminally cheap, or the really space challenged, 3/4" diameter, 1mm to 2mm thick aluminum washers make great substitutes for poker chips. Spray paint them, and you can have two-color ones easily, with alternate sides… spray one side, let dry, apply painted side to some masking tape, making certain to cover the hole, and then spray the remaining side. when that's dry, remove from the masking tape.

If you want striped ones, paint the light color, let dry, then mask, paint the dark color, let dry.

I used 3/8" copper riveting washers for markers for a couple card games… green on one side, unpainted on the other, but found them too thin.

Nice thing about painted washers is that a 30¢ carriage bolt with a 10¢ nut can hold a bunch of them.