Grapple, how does it work?

By Ref, in Game Mechanics

Hi everyone,

we've started yesterday and one of my players try to grapple but didn't saw any rules about it. Is anyone have any thoughts or already made rule about it?

Thank you

Carl

Unlike the d20 versions of Star Wars, there really aren't any specific rules for grappling in EotE, at least not officially.

The ability to deal Strain damage with Brawl attacks (sidebar on page 163 I think, away from book so I can't check the exact page number) is meant to simulate grappling, rather than creating an overly complicated method, with some of the Advantages generated from the attack roll spent to have the target suffer a setback die to reflect them being in a constrained position due to being 'grappled.'

I have made two version of a suggested way of grappling - particularly in relation to using a garrotte and the like.

One is basically an opposed attack roll, the other is competitive. Damage is either strain or brawl, as normal, but you gain the ensnare quality (although you are the ensnaring thing so you cannot move away). If successful there is an opposed or competitive on each characters go every round until the target is unconscious/dead or the target comes free or becomes the attacker … must update my suggestions in the supplement I think. This is perhaps a more complicated way of dealing with it though…

It's so great explaining a character's actions in terms of a grapple, or punching, or whatever he wants to do.

I have a player who, no joke, told me he wanted to play a Wookiee surgeon (before seeing the book or hearing about the rules), so as to focus on more humorous and sardonic RP. And so I chuckled and pointed him to the Doctor talent tree.

Anyway, his power-gaming tendencies won out and he is now the "grappler" of the party. He took down a Gundark in last night's session pretty much all by his lonesome, though it was a hard-fought battle with lots of bad rolls on my part and very good roles on the player's part :) And he varied his descriptions, from poking the Gundark in the eyes to punching him to jumping on his back and trying to put him in a choke hold. It was entertaining.

I had a grapple situation come up, and I just did a competitive Brawl check. Used the degree of success (how many successes he had over the NPC he was trying to grapple) to establish how firm a hold he had; a narrow success would mean the NPC was simply subdued, but required a lot of effort to hold on to, a wider degree meant he could pretty much frog march the guy around if he wanted to. Of course, the other NPC in the fight got a boost die to attack the player since all his effort was focused on the grapple.

DailyRich said:

I had a grapple situation come up, and I just did a competitive Brawl check. Used the degree of success (how many successes he had over the NPC he was trying to grapple) to establish how firm a hold he had; a narrow success would mean the NPC was simply subdued, but required a lot of effort to hold on to, a wider degree meant he could pretty much frog march the guy around if he wanted to. Of course, the other NPC in the fight got a boost die to attack the player since all his effort was focused on the grapple.

I think I like the competitive interpretation. Maybe I'd use an opposed Brawl check to initiate, then competitive to escape. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I think the concept is pretty sound.

-WJL