non-English language cards at Worlds

By Hybrid, in CoC General Discussion

There are four of us travelling 12hrs by car to Roseville for Worlds. One of us knows some Italian but to a great extent we are limited to English. I'm assuming that the European players will be playing with non-English cards? How will we know what a card does if we cannot read it? One of our players asked the other night and I had to admit to them that I had never thought of it and didn't have a good answer for them!

Hybrid said:

I'm assuming that the European players will be playing with non-English cards? How will we know what a card does if we cannot read it?

In tournaments when my opponent played a non-English card I didn't immediately recognize, he would explain its ability to me. I suppose if you still had open questions about it after that you could call a judge to look up the English text for you, but so far I've never felt it was necessary.

Before a tournament I make sure to study all new cards and send in rule questions as required, so I usually have a good idea what any card can do. I'd expect someone participating in the World tournament would be likewise prepared.

jhaelen said:

Hybrid said:

I'm assuming that the European players will be playing with non-English cards? How will we know what a card does if we cannot read it?

In my experience most European players use the English cards. The most common non-English cards I've seen are French and a couple of Spanish ones. I'm not even sure if there are any other nationalized cards for the LCG.

Most people at the European Championship used english cards and everyone spoke English.

As far as I know, there is also a Japanese version of the game (at least the core set).

If you're worried about it, keep your cell phone browser pointed to the deck builder at cardgamedb.com. Then you can look up an unrecognized foreign card and read the English version.