Soak - once per "attack" or once per "hit"?

By player266669, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

I re-read the rules for soak and realized I might have been running it incorrectly in my recent playtest. As written, soak seems to apply once per attack (which is defined as a single combat skill check).

Some attacks, however, deal multiple hits, like Auto-fire. Nowhere is it written that soak is applied against each hit. However, I had been applying it that way.

How have you guys been using soak? Do you apply it against each hit, or against each attack? What is your interpretation of the soak rules with regard to attacks that deal multiple hits?

I'd say soak applies to each *hit*.

That's how I *want* it to work. It would help make Auto-fire a bit less deadly, anyway.

I think the obvious answer is that it works once per hit. Armor is armor. It is there if you get hit once, or if you get hit 15 times until it is broken. When we were testing autofire the other night we were applying the soak value to each hit. Characters were still getting killed in one hit.

That is my opinion anyhow.

It might be a bit more math where minion groups are concerned, but it probably would be be better for Soak Value to be applied "per hit" in regards to the Autofire and Linked qualities. Then again, given the base damage on an Autofire-capable weapon is able to kill most minions outright even after Soak Value is applied, the "more math" issue is probably a moot point.

I think the key for me is what constitutes a "hit".

for me a hit is a successful combat check. if an ability like autofire or linked procs another "hit" I treat that as though it was another successful combat check, complete with resolving soak, as you would any succesful combat check.

That is my interp, how i see it.

What about Soak and Blast? I would apply Soak against Blast damage, personally, but Blast isn't really a separate check or hit.

well lets see.

soak:
pg. 26 "A character's soak value determines how much incoming damage he can shrug off before taking real damage. The soak value is subtracted from any incoming damage to the character…"
Pg. 65 "A character's soak value is subtracted from any incoming damage."
Pg. 134 " when taking damage from attacks (any action involving a combat skill check) or other sources of physical damage (such as being struck by a falling rock or being hit by a landspeeder) the character may reduce the damage taken by his soak value."

I'd say that soak applies per hit, as each hit/blast/instance of damage is a new and seperate instance of damage.

Conceptually, if a character fell down three cliffs in a turn, each of short distance, soak would apply to each fall seperately. If you fell long distance in one go, soak applies to the one instance.

Same with autofire/linked/two weapon damage. each hit is a separate instance, and soak applies. But that's just me.

Yep, that's the interpretation I'm going with.

Do what we do, you run….run your ass off.

Tassedar said:

Do what we do, you run….run your ass off.

Agents ignore soak. That's why they're so dangerous.

:-D

I'd also say soak applies to each hit, as a separate instance of damage. It seems the more reasonable and sensible interpretation.

week eleven: Vindication!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thebearisdriving said:

week eleven: Vindication!!!!!!!!!!!!

AW YEAH