weapon attachments.

By Sirkamina, in Game Mechanics

I understand that installing a weapon attachment requires 100 credits, the modification itself, a toolkit and a hard mechanics check.

What i cannnot find rules on is how to pay for or choose the modification options. It seems for things like a filed front sight, (on which i would argue that you shouldnt have to pay the 100 credits to do as the required item is something already in your toolkit) the base mod of making it draw faster makes sense. However its obvious that the modification option with that of "smoothed frame" is very much optional. I cannot find a reference to what it takes to get said modification and am even further confused by mods that have multiple options like the marksman barrel.

can someone please elaborate?

Sirkamina said:

I understand that installing a weapon attachment requires 100 credits, the modification itself, a toolkit and a hard mechanics check.

What i cannnot find rules on is how to pay for or choose the modification options. It seems for things like a filed front sight, (on which i would argue that you shouldnt have to pay the 100 credits to do as the required item is something already in your toolkit) the base mod of making it draw faster makes sense. However its obvious that the modification option with that of "smoothed frame" is very much optional. I cannot find a reference to what it takes to get said modification and am even further confused by mods that have multiple options like the marksman barrel.

can someone please elaborate?

This is indeed a very confusing part of the game, but I will do my best to help. There are attachements, like the filed front sight and the marksman barrel, and then there are mods, or modifications to attachements.

Attachements cost whatever the listed cost is. For the filed front sight, it's only 50CR, while the marksman barrel is 1,500CR. The modification options are the things that cost 100CR and a hard (or harder!) mechanics check. Again, for the filed front sight, an option is Smoothed frame. It would cost 100CR and a Hard mechanics check to do it right.

For those attachments with multiple options, like the marksman barrel, you get to choose what to add. For the base cost of 1,500CR, you get the barrel, which increases the range by 1, and gives it Cumbersome 2. If you want, you could try to mod it for accuracy, or one of the innate talents. To add any mods, you follow the rules found on 122, INSTALLING MODS.

I'm not sure if you can try to install multiple mods at once, or if each one requires its own check. Again, going back to the marksman barrel, if you wanted accuracy 2, I'm not sure if it would be 100CR and a Hard mechanics check followed by 100CR more and a Daunting check, or if you can just do the daunting check and pay 200CR. I believe it's the former, but not sure.

-EF

Note that, for the Filed Front Sight, the cost is for having someone else do the modification for you. You can do it yourself with an Average Mechanics check (page 123).

The weapon attachments section is kind of confusing, because in the text it uses the term "modification" to mean different things. Try to cut through the white noise and focus on what Weapon Attachments are, and the additional Modification Options they have for an increased price and difficulty. The "Modding Attachments" section on page 122 should give you the answers you need.

As with any ruleset, in particular one that really messes with the mechanics of the game, it's important for anyone wanting to use the rules to read it through thoroughly.