Random thoughts about the MF, scale, and direction of the franchise

By IG-58, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

So I now have three recent Star Wars tech sources, all tied to Lucasbooks but also from different printing sources and different writers/editors, and guess what; the Millenium Falcon has the exact same deckplan in all three. Go figure! The MF 3-D Owner's Guide by Becker & Mayer, the Ultimate Collection blueprints by DK and the "Haynes" Owner's Workshop Manual all have the same exact layout. Moreover, Haynes actually addresses the scale discrepancies (in a sort of historical retcon), a sore point among modellers, and states the **official** size as 34.37 meters (though the "standard" YT-1300 is listed as 37.75 m) - something folks have long argued for or about.

This also illustrates a new attention to detail among at least LucasArts and, hopefully (since it's now DISNEY) the franchise as a whole. FFG dug as deep as they could to bring us the most accurate miniatures possible for X-Wing , and now we have these sources from 2010-2011. We can only hope and pray the trend will continue.

Ha, I can't WAIT to see the deckplans in the Beginners' Box! I wonder if FFG will have done their research.

I thought the main scale problem with the YT-1300 was that the inside and outside of the actual ship sets were totally different. As far as I am aware the full sized ship from the film just wouildn't have been able to fit the internal set inside, and so the disagreement came from which you used to scale the ship.

Frankly I always thought it just best to ignore the issue. It is a science fantasy after all. Just use whatever feels right…

Well, this isn't the only website I frequent. On the Starship Modeler website (fun place), people go insane over that sort of thing. You're right about the ship vs. set issue and so, yes, now the ship size has been more-or-less officially "retconned" from the original 24.something meters. Hah, makes me wonder which size FFG went with!

borithan said:

I thought the main scale problem with the YT-1300 was that the inside and outside of the actual ship sets were totally different. As far as I am aware the full sized ship from the film just wouildn't have been able to fit the internal set inside,, and so the disagreement came from which you used to scale the ship.

Frankly I always thought it just best to ignore the issue. It is a science fantasy after all. Just use whatever feels right…

It's a TARDIS.

So true. like Obi Wan not remembering the two droids he spent three movies and the clone wars adventuring with, when Luke brings then round to him. Plots and sets are full of holes. Accept it and move on.

Stuntie said:

borithan said:

I thought the main scale problem with the YT-1300 was that the inside and outside of the actual ship sets were totally different. As far as I am aware the full sized ship from the film just wouildn't have been able to fit the internal set inside,, and so the disagreement came from which you used to scale the ship.

It's a TARDIS.

So true. like Obi Wan not remembering the two droids he spent three movies and the clone wars adventuring with, when Luke brings then round to him. Plots and sets are full of holes. Accept it and move on.

"Don't examine this too closely."
- Donald P. Bellisario

"It's just a show, I really should relax."
-MST3K Mantra

Alternatively, Harrison Ford is a Time Lord, and the Falcon is his Tardis partido_risa.gif

Speaking of the MF, anybody have any good pics of a YT-1300 that ISN'T the MF? Like a different paint job? Using it for my campaign…

yt1300v15mu.jpg

1143226414_small.jpg

Correllian_YT1300c_Green_by_Reiko_Foxx.j

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2QqYlQaTVk7LzpMc9W0G