Frist games of X-Wing

By BigDogg, in X-Wing Battle Reports

Frist games of X-Wing

I took 2 Obsidian Squadron Tie's against my friend with a Red Squadron X-wing and R5-D8 droid.

1st Game: I tried to keep both Tie's together so they could concentrate fire. Went head to head in a flyby , then made hard right hand turns unitl we were facing each other again. He fired at the left hand Tie and it exploded. My remaing Tie fired and I stripped a shield. We both performed the reverse turn (can't remember whats it is called) and he swatted my Tie without getting to fire a shot. Wow, that was fast.

We may have been doing somethings wrong but it was fun.

2nd Game: We played with some asteriods on the field. I split the Tie's up with one heading straight in and the other coming in on the flank. The flanking tie had to navigate the Asteriods and I didn't miss a one. The remaining Tie managed to stay alive for a few turns but eventually a head on pass ended its fight but I did strip his shields and inflict one damage.

Found a couple more things we were doing wrong so next games should go better. Will have to adjust my tactics. Might try a Black Squadron and Academy pilot next.

BigDogg said:

Frist games of X-Wing

I took 2 Obsidian Squadron Tie's against my friend with a Red Squadron X-wing and R5-D8 droid.

1st Game: I tried to keep both Tie's together so they could concentrate fire. Went head to head in a flyby , then made hard right hand turns unitl we were facing each other again. He fired at the left hand Tie and it exploded. My remaing Tie fired and I stripped a shield. We both performed the reverse turn (can't remember whats it is called) and he swatted my Tie without getting to fire a shot. Wow, that was fast.

We may have been doing somethings wrong but it was fun.

2nd Game: We played with some asteriods on the field. I split the Tie's up with one heading straight in and the other coming in on the flank. The flanking tie had to navigate the Asteriods and I didn't miss a one. The remaining Tie managed to stay alive for a few turns but eventually a head on pass ended its fight but I did strip his shields and inflict one damage.

Found a couple more things we were doing wrong so next games should go better. Will have to adjust my tactics. Might try a Black Squadron and Academy pilot next.

Are you playing 26 point games? If so, why? There is nothing inherently wrong with that point level; it just seems very arbitrary.

I found that the first half-dozen or so games we were playing something wrong (usually something different each game.) I recommend a thorough reading of the rulebook and perusing these boards to help clear up any questions you have. Welcome to the game! :)

ShadowJak said:

Are you playing 26 point games? If so, why? There is nothing inherently wrong with that point level; it just seems very arbitrary.

Only had the starter and didn't want to over complicate it the first few games

For getting familiar with the game or introducing it to a new player the quick-start division of ships is quite nice. I usually give the opponent (new player) the X-Wing so they don't get overwhelmed moving/managing two ships.

Once you play a side of each with that initial setup adding other cards and pilots is much easier to comprehend with the foundation of two low point, quick games.

I was floored that my wife even enjoyed it when I introduced her to the game that way. gran_risa.gif

- Alan

You got your wife to play?!?! Very nicely done! Guess I'm gonna have to try and convince my wife to play, at least once.