Battletech card game in a new LCG flavor!

By -wuhsawbe-, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

I'd love to see FFG take a look at doing something within the Battletech/Mechwarrior franchise. There used to be a Battletech CCG ages ago that was really fun, and with Mechwarrior Online entering closed (now open) beta, my LGS has seen an increase in people playing the Classic Battletech Tabletop game. MWO has drawn new players to start playing (and vets to return to playing) Classic Battletech, I imagine people would likewise be drawn towards a Battletech LCG as well. In the meantime, I guess I could proxy old cards and rehash the "good ol' days!"

A Battletech LCG, who's with me?!?

-wuhsawbe- said:

I'd love to see FFG take a look at doing something within the Battletech/Mechwarrior franchise. There used to be a Battletech CCG ages ago that was really fun, and with Mechwarrior Online entering closed (now open) beta, my LGS has seen an increase in people playing the Classic Battletech Tabletop game. MWO has drawn new players to start playing (and vets to return to playing) Classic Battletech, I imagine people would likewise be drawn towards a Battletech LCG as well. In the meantime, I guess I could proxy old cards and rehash the "good ol' days!"

A Battletech LCG, who's with me?!?

This would be cool, but would Catalyst ever give up the rights (especially when they could just do a card game themselves)?

Yeah the rights could be a mess… do you deal with the reformed FASA, Catalyst, or Topps? Who knows, that could even be an advantage depending on "who owns what" in Battletech terms.

That said, Catalyst hasn't broken into the card game market (so far as I can tell), so they may be willing to make a similar arrangement to the one between FFG and GW. (of course on a smaller scale/cost)

I am not sure how it would work out, but I would totally buy into anything Battletech that had the quality of an FFG product. An LCG would be an interesting concept… your cards could consist of Mechs and Pilots. To battle you have to play a combo of the two. Add-on packs could contain a new battle/planet with some new Mechs and pilot cards.

Sign me up! :)

Topps ownes Battletech, but CGL has licence rights to the univerce for anything non-eletronic.

CGL is making a Shadowrun Deckbuilding game this year so it could be that they play to do something with BT down the line as well.

This might not be a popular viewpoint, but...I don't care if the Battletech game keeps the same theme. Netrunner survived its re-theme so well, I would welcome a re-theme of Battletech. I would, of course, prefer that it stayed as close to the "battling mecha" theme as possible, but it doesn't have to be Battletech per se.

This might not be a popular viewpoint, but...I don't care if the Battletech game keeps the same theme. Netrunner survived its re-theme so well, I would welcome a re-theme of Battletech. I would, of course, prefer that it stayed as close to the "battling mecha" theme as possible, but it doesn't have to be Battletech per se.

Then what would you suggest? Options where people could play as battle armor troops? Aerospace? Have warships duking it out in orbit as the attacking force tries to get dropships dirtside?