House Umber berserkers

By Mooch68, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

Hi all,

Can someone give me some idea why this card would be useful? To me it seems like you hurt yourself as much as the other guy.

Mooch

The idea is that if you can kill more characters than your opponent and drop more characters also, you will have situations where it will be 2 characters of your opponent vs. let's say 4 characters of yours during Marshalling phase. Now if on top of this you drop Berserkers, you kill one of your characters (e.g. Berserkers themselves) and your opponent kills one of his. So situation suddenly changes from 2 characters vs. 4 characters to 1 character vs. 4 characters. And 2 vs. 4 is very different from 1 vs. 4 in AGoT.

That's why kill-based Stark got this card and that's why it can be useful in a deck where you kill a lot of things every turn.

It's also really awesome with The Kindly Man agenda.

Heres a few other ideas Mooch:

Useful for putting Meera back into Shadows so she's ready to use again during Challenges.
Kill Kyle Condon for free card draw.
Could also just kill Shadows Arya and then bring her back out for Challenges; not really much trickery to that one.
Use the new Arya to kill someone after your guy leaves play.
Combo it with Lucas Blackwood for a free M challenge during Marshalling… bonus if Fury is your revealed Plot and targets your opponent and you have M superiority since you could combo up a ton of kills: 1 for Beserkers coming out, 1 for the Lucas M challenge, 1 for Fury, 1 for the Icy Catapult you put on Lucas before he died, then in Challenges 1 for the normal M challenge, 1 for Fury again, not to mention any additional kill cards you can combo in (Die by the Sword, No Quarter, etc).

Actually I dont think Lucas and the Catapult combo, but the Catapult still combos with Beserkers pretty well.

I use the Berserkers in my Stalwart deck with Icy Catapult and Gates of Winterfell. I drop the Berserkers, kill a Stalwart character (preferably with Icy Catapult to kill another opposing character), then kneel Gates of Winterfell to put my Stalwart character back into play.

But, this guy is solid any time that your worst character is worse than your opponents worst character (and it is incredibly good in multiplayer).