Alternative Ways Playing Axis

By panzerdaddy, in Dust Warfare

Hi All.

I'm trying out different army list for my expanding Axis army.

As most Axis players realised, standard Axis list are generally relies on ranged firepower.

I'm thinking to go ape (pardon the pun!) with a Markus list. (Army list as per below)

Meanwhile, does anybody else had positive experience in using unorthodox Axis list?

Axis (300AP)

--- Heroes
Stefan (18)

--- Blutkreuz Platoon (158)
Command Section: Sturmpioniere (25)
1st Section: Heavy Laser Grenadiers (35)
2nd Section: Heavy Flak Grenadiers (26)
3rd Section: Axis Gorillas (24)
4th Section: Axis Gorillas (24)
Support: Sniper Grenadier Team (12)

--- Markus - Gorillas (120)
Command Section: Markus (24, Hero)
1st Section: Axis Gorillas (24)
2nd Section: Axis Gorillas (24)
4th Section: Axis Gorillas (24)

I would suggest not using so many apes. You don't have enough firepower to support them properly and you have one unit with AA. I have never put that many apes on a table so I am not sure how well they would do. You may have luck purely through overwhelming numbers.

I find apes work best when you suppress an enemy unit, then run them in to attack.

I would suggest something more like this:

Faction: Axis ( 299 / 300 )

--- Heroes
Stefan (18)

--- Sturmgrenadiere Platoon (185)
Upgrade: Extra Panzer Support (10)
Command Section: Kommandotrupp (25)
1st Section: Heavy Flak Grenadiers (26)
2nd Section: Battle Grenadiers [upgrade] (20)
3rd Section: Battle Grenadiers [upgrade] (20)
Support: LPW I-A "Heinrich" (20)
Support: MPW II-B "Ludwig" (40)

--- Markus - Gorillas (96)

It gives you plenty of apes, but lots of support and the ability to handle things at longer range.

Excellent! I'm in the process of trying something similar and wanted to provide some insight.

I'm playing in an escalation league with games at 100, 200, and 300 points. Each successive leap requires we use the previous 100 or 200 points to complete our list, and a fourth leg with an additional 300 point game that allows us to build whatever list we'd like from our chosen faction.

Like you, I got bored with the standard playstyle and went for a full ape platoon at the 100 point level. I obliterated an Axis Schwer furball but got decimated by SSU widowmakers. With no way to suppress them, the rifle squad and 4 snipers could stand out in the middle and pick off my apes. I was able to use cover to some extent, but once I moved in was torn to shreds. There is still a very strong need for some ranged support of the Apes, in my opinion.

I decided to go Schwer so that between the special order and the apes I hope to remain suppression free for most of the game. Though each of my heavy troops have strong AA, it's only got a 16" range so I'll still be weak against helicopters. Aside from that though, I'm curious to see how it fares. If the apes don't kill everything I might finally cave and build a zombie army.

Faction: Axis ( 298 / 300 )

--- Heroes
Angela (30)

--- Schwer Platoon (172)
Command Section: Heavy Kommandotrupp (35)
3rd Section: Battle Grenadiers (17)
4th Section: Heavy Recon Grenadiers (30)
Support: MPW II-B "Ludwig" (40)

I would really advise using the Hans light walker. It is hands-down the best walker in the game for the points, with anti-tank capability as well as artillery that doesn't need to reload every time it fires! Add a radioman to a Sturmpionieren command squad, get two command squads, and start pounding the enemy! (There's also something to be said for the ability to suppress American command squads before they can drop 9" howitzer fire on you.)

The drawback to Hans is the lack of AA. In ape heavy lists you have to really watch your balance of regular troop capabilities. I lean toward lists that can take on any army, so I build AA into almost every list I make.

An alternative to my previous list:

Faction: Axis ( 300 / 300 )
--- Heroes
Lara (29)

--- Sturmgrenadiere Platoon (175)
Upgrade: Improved Command (5)
Command Section: Kommandotrupp (25)
2nd Section: Battle Grenadiers [upgrade] (20)
3rd Section: Battle Grenadiers [upgrade] (20)
4th Section: Heavy Recon Grenadiers (30)
Support: LPW I-C "Hans" (25)