New Call of Cthulhu Podcast

By dboeren1, in CoC General Discussion

OK, it's finally here! The first episode of the "Elder Things" podcast all about the Call of Cthulhu LCG is online here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/ElderThingsPodcast

In this episode we're mainly reviewing the new Seekers of Knowledge expansion since it just came out, for the next episode we plan to take a step back and cover some things beginning players will want to know about the game.

We are very open to any feedback you may have (we're new to this and still learning) and hearing about what YOU guys want covered.

You can contact us here, or at [email protected].

I think that's someone else's site you're talking about, I've never had a site like that.

Gave this a listen waiting for the hurricane to pass over. Pretty good first show, audio quality was good and you guys seemed comfortable. I think I would like a slightly shorter show (personally like about 30 minutes), and I think it would be cool to hear some metagame discussion as well. Maybe try to interview some players from around the globe to get different perspective on the meta.

Thanks for the feedback. We do want to incorporate some interviews later on. Right now we're still learning the audio tools and I haven't solved the best way to get a third person (who of course probably isn't in the room) recorded with decent quality and in-sync with us. It's supposed to be possible by recording Skype, I just need to research and test it out before we try it in a real episode. So look for that maybe a little bit down the line.

A metagame segment is a good idea, I think that will be best if we hold it until after Worlds is over and everyone's decks are posted so we can get a clearer picture of what archetypes were popular. Probably something for episode #3 I think.

We're working on outlining the 2nd episode right now and deciding what to keep or cut, but there will definitely be a chunk devoted to some coverage for new players and I think some faction overviews. Someone on BGG suggested trying out a game with color commentary, we may try recording that and then listen to it to decide how well it worked. Anyway, we're meeting tonight to play and discuss some ideas.

dboeren said:

Thanks for the feedback. We do want to incorporate some interviews later on. Right now we're still learning the audio tools and I haven't solved the best way to get a third person (who of course probably isn't in the room) recorded with decent quality and in-sync with us. It's supposed to be possible by recording Skype, I just need to research and test it out before we try it in a real episode. So look for that maybe a little bit down the line.

Reach out to Kennon on the boards (or 2champs1chump / gmail). He does the AGoT podcast and frequently has guest hosts via Skype. He might be able to help.

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a great idea. I'm sure it's not hard once you figure it out - but I've already been through a couple of suggested methods using soundflower to try to reroute the sound from Skype into the input of Audacity and so far it hasn't worked successfully :(

But yeah, they would be likely to have some good tips.

Thank you David for your hard work making our first episode. It came out great and I look forward to our next recording.

pyyhttu said:

I'll try that.

But tell me: what happened to your cthulhu card search site and any plans to bring it back? It was the only decent html-based search site that was actually usable…

www.fantasyflightgames.com : Netcraft / Whois
IP address : 216.139.243.236
Region : Texas
City : Austin
Latitude : 30.2643
Longitude : -97.7138
See on Google Maps
Results by: IPInfoDB
Script by : PH
?
us.gif

You're referring to dabbler. I helped manage that site over a year ago. The guy who hosted it got busy with life, and couldn't maintain the server anymore. :(

Hey guys, just checked out your podcast and wanted to let you know I enjoyed it.

The audio quality was great and you two sounded very knowledgeable of the game during your discussions.

I haven't played very much, nor card games of this genre in general, so it can be quite a struggle for me to get through a game hoping I have done everything correctly and by the rules. I'm pretty much exploring this game by myself. I don't know anyone who is well versed and experienced with it to learn from so having something like your podcast would definately help me understand it better. I hope you guys keep someone like me in mind if you decide to go over the core set, basic techniques and the factions available to choose from.

I look forward to listening to you guys again. thanks.

Yes, we're planning to cover a lot of that sort of information over the next few episodes to help out beginners to the game. There will be faction overviews, some information on basic deckbuilding, and an example of gameplay among other things. Hope you'll enjoy it and keep listening :)

Hey whens episode 2 coming out? episode one was awesome.

bricks16 said:

Pretty soon. We're working on recording tonight, and then I'm going to be editing it over the weekend. Normally I could do that tomorrow night but it's my wedding anniversary so I'm going to be otherwise occupied :)

I'll post up once it's available, probably Sunday or Monday.

dboeren said:

bricks16 said:

Pretty soon. We're working on recording tonight, and then I'm going to be editing it over the weekend. Normally I could do that tomorrow night but it's my wedding anniversary so I'm going to be otherwise occupied :)

I'll post up once it's available, probably Sunday or Monday.

Congrats again!

Also… keep it up. Don't stop doing these. :)

Worse than angry listeners, if I stop doing these my wife's going to want to know why I spent all that money on a digital recorder if I was only going to use it a couple of times :)

We ran into a snag last night where my partner was called away early before we were done recording. Still going to try our best to get it out by Monday if we can but it might take an extra day or so.

Some good news though is that we've successfully managed to record through Skype which means that we're capable of doing remote guest interviews now. So, after things settle down from Worlds we'll start talking to a few people about doing an interview in the future and what they'd like to talk about. Might be a episode or two down the line yet but at least the technology barrier has been taken care of.

Great stuff. Can't wait for the next instalment and I don't even have the game yet. Little shoggotHs told my that I might be getting this for xmas. Keep 'em coming.

Editing on episode 2 is nearly done but I pooped out around 2:30am last night, I'll have it up tonight and post an announcement when it's there.

Awww yeeeaaahhhh. episode 2 is going to be awesome i cant wait!