Living Dice Game - feasible?

By danilo, in Living Card Games

Hi all,

I'm a Warhammer Invasion player/fan and I eagerly await for new releases to add new fun to the game itself. In other words I find the Living Card Game distribution mechanism to be a very nice one, making the game grow constantly but without the Collectible Game bad aspects we all know about.

Now, I also happen to very like dice and dice game. So I came to think: why not a living dice game?

There has been a similar product some years ago (Star Trek - the collectible dice game) which despite its name was distributed in a similar way with starters and boosters, all of which had fixed content. Just like is a living card game now.

Maybe it can work with the Star Wars brand FFG seems to have right of, or… basically with anything, that would be a really different game from what you can find elsewhere.

Hoping that FFG is already secretly thinking about something like this, I ask you, forum users (but also FFG employee): what do you thing about this?

Danilo

I say this as someone with almost no experience with dice games, so take this with a grain of salt:

But I wonder if there would be much of a market for a Living Dice Game. The LCG model works because it's essentially just a variant of the very well established and popular CCG model. There are hundreds of CCGs out there (Board Game Geek lists 445 of them), and FFG has successfully marketed an alternative that keeps most of the major features of the CCG genre, but removes the randomized distribution and rarity. That's a huge selling point.

On the other hand, Collectable Dice Games are not a well established category. Board Game Geek lists only 15 CDGs. You would first have to find enough support for a dice game where you have to constantly keep buying new packs, which there just might not be, particularly considering that non-collectable dice games are already not that huge a market to begin with; whether or not those packs were randomized would be much less of a factor.

Firs of all, thanks for taking the time to answer me!

alpha5099 said:

I say this as someone with almost no experience with dice games, so take this with a grain of salt:

But I wonder if there would be much of a market for a Living Dice Game. The LCG model works because it's essentially just a variant of the very well established and popular CCG model. There are hundreds of CCGs out there (Board Game Geek lists 445 of them), and FFG has successfully marketed an alternative that keeps most of the major features of the CCG genre, but removes the randomized distribution and rarity. That's a huge selling point.

On the other hand, Collectable Dice Games are not a well established category. Board Game Geek lists only 15 CDGs. You would first have to find enough support for a dice game where you have to constantly keep buying new packs, which there just might not be, particularly considering that non-collectable dice games are already not that huge a market to begin with; whether or not those packs were randomized would be much less of a factor.

Well, of course I don't have enough information about the market to tell if a similar product could be profiting or not (I'm not involved in this kind of businesses at all…) but a market with no competitors may well be a good thing, after all! :)

Of course how sensible it could be to release such a product needs more investigation, which surely FFG can do.

In any case, a living dice game can be thought in several different ways, ranging from a quarriors-like game to a sort of miniature game, passing through a lot of other typologies.

A stroke of genius from the developers is probably needed to create a game whose longevity is high, is good to re-play, and that makes you want to buy expansions. In star trek the dice game, for instance, boosters introduced new ships with different stats, weapons, etc. A similar approach can create interest in the game.

But again, I'm not involved in such market at all, I'm surely missing a lot of aspect I don't even know I should take into consideration ;) Luckily I'm not the one whose going to release a LDG, FFG is! (I hope. ;) )

Danilo

joined just for this post. liking the site though. the onlything close to ldg that i was ever familiar with was irondie. i bought a red starter 2nd gen for 55$ online. never met another person who heard of it, let alone bought a set.

would be nice though