Edge of the Empire Beta Update: Week 8

By FFG_Sam Stewart, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Donovan Morningfire said:

3WhiteFox3 said:

Am I the only one who feels that Dodge should not be found both as a row 1 talent and a row 5 talent? It just feels wrong, that as a thief, like I have to pay 25 points for a talent that costs an assassin 5 points. Giving the thief dodge is fine, but giving up a row 5 for it? I feel that row 5 talents should be inherently more powerful than a row 1, and while certain trees work that way not all of them do.

Well, in the Assassin's defense, they're part of a more combat-orientated career and are a combat-orientated specialiation. Thief on the other hand is more about being sneaky rather than fighting, and Smuggler by itself isn't that much of a combat-orientated career.

Given that Assassin had to sacrifice Quick Draw (a really freaking useful talent) for Dodge, I do feel that Dodge is a bit underpriced here, as it should be at least a 10 XP talent.

But dodge isn't just something that is about being combat-oriented, in fact I think a thief would be someone very effective at dodging. That's the only way such a character could really defend himself. I don't see why he would be any less adept than the assassin whose main defense is not being seen. Maybe I can explain it better this way, someone with gymnastics training or tumbling should have the Dodge talent, right? Even early on, they are fast and would be hard to hit in a fight, but they aren't combat oriented either?

I want to add my voice and also say thanks to the dev team for this incredible chance. Im a huge Star Wars fan and I have been waiting for years for a suitable replacement to the good old d6 version of Star Wars.

No game will ever be perfect, but its a great honor to know we are asked to contribute in making this the best game it can be.

Some thoughts on a few of the Talent Tree changes, perhaps as possible alternatives to what's currently in the Week 8 Update?

Assassin - Instead of replacing Deadly Accuracy with Dodge, how about replacing Stalker, either at Column 2/Row 3 or Column 1/Row 4? Again, I really think Deadly Accuracy is a near-perfect fit for the talent tree, despite how useful Dodge can be in a combat situation.

Scholar - Perhaps instead of the Column 2/Row 1 instance of Researcher being replaced with Grit, how about either the Column 1/Row 2 or Column 4/Row 2 instance of Researcher instead? Leaning towards the Column 4/Row 2 entry personally.

Fringer - I'm really curious about the rationale behind this change, as Galaxy Mapper really isn't that hot a talent. Suggestion would be to leave Let's Ride on Row 2, but just swap it's position in Column 1 with Skilled Jockey in Column 2.

Outlaw Tech - Honestly, as things currently stand, the Utility Belt talent is pretty darn useless, as there's no written restrictions on what sort of equipment you can spend a Destiny Point to "have on hand." The book examples all match up to Rarity 1 objects, but again there's no documented restriction. So instead of dropping Inventor (a great talent for this specialization), instead drop Utility Belt and put Side Step in it's place.

Slicer - While the link between Columns 1 and 2 at Row 4 is a definite improvement over how the talent tree was originally laid out, I'm kinda thinking either an additional link at Row 2 between Columns 1 & 2 would be nice (providing links at Rows 2, 4, and 5), or just one additional link at Row 3 (links at Rows 3 and 5).

Overall, I like the talent tree changes in this update, as it does provide at least a few defensive options for specializations and careers that didn't really have them before, particularly with the Week 7 revision to specialization costs, which I've pretty much come to accept as a fair trade-off for the decreased cost of non-career skills.

Thank you for addressing our concern. It has been great to participate in Edge's Beta.

FFG_Sam Stewart said:

The comparison between the cost of concussion missiles and lightsabers is not a concern for us, because lightsabers are also incredibly rare; one of the rarest items in the game. Concussion missiles and proton torpedoes are one-use weapons; so their cost has to be balanced so that players are willing to use them.

Speaking of rare, what are the rarity of concussion missiles and proton torpedoes replacements? It is going to be weird if it is easier to replace warheads than grenades. Then again, warheads are restricted while grenades are not.

WahSword said:

Thank you for addressing our concern. It has been great to participate in Edge's Beta.

FFG_Sam Stewart said:

The comparison between the cost of concussion missiles and lightsabers is not a concern for us, because lightsabers are also incredibly rare; one of the rarest items in the game. Concussion missiles and proton torpedoes are one-use weapons; so their cost has to be balanced so that players are willing to use them.

Speaking of rare, what are the rarity of concussion missiles and proton torpedoes replacements? It is going to be weird if it is easier to replace warheads than grenades. Then again, warheads are restricted while grenades are not.

Odds are also pretty good that you're not going to be able to walk into a military grade weapons dealer and walk out with a sleeve of concussion missiles for your ship like you might be able to do with frag grenades. You're probably going to have to go to a specialized dealer for them, which makes them a little bit trickier to keep in stock.

Cyril said:

WahSword said:

FFG_Sam Stewart said:

Odds are also pretty good that you're not going to be able to walk into a military grade weapons dealer and walk out with a sleeve of concussion missiles for your ship like you might be able to do with frag grenades. You're probably going to have to go to a specialized dealer for them, which makes them a little bit trickier to keep in stock.

I'm pretty sure every illegal space port has access to missiles of various type, so much so that it's like what's keeping the price down. Unlike real life, in SW getting into your 'car' can sometimes be very freakin' dangerous, so arms are likely to be very cheap, as is ammo.

Chris Brady said:

I'm pretty sure every illegal space port has access to missiles of various type, so much so that it's like what's keeping the price down. Unlike real life, in SW getting into your 'car' can sometimes be very freakin' dangerous, so arms are likely to be very cheap, as is ammo.

I have to respectfully disagree.

These weapons are military grade munitions . If I had them for sale illegally, I'm going to make **** sure I get the most out of my investment. No chance I'm going to take the kind of chance that selling them illegally is going to bring and sell them for rock bottom prices. And odds are, if I got a sleeve of missiles for pennies on the dollar I'd be more worried about it than if I were to get them at list price. Are they going to blow up on me? Are they too hot to hold onto? Are their locations able to be traced?

I'm not trying to be negative or undermine anyone's playstyle here - but aren't you really getting into minutiae here? Between this and the heated argument over how many crates of blasters a YT-1300 can hold, I'm starting to wonder if we're focusing on the right stuff.

Does it really impact the game?

Do you expect FFG to detail every single corner of this game, to the point where you are completely constrained by "canon"? I sure don't, and I wouldn't want them to either.

If you think concussion missiles are hard to find, make it that way in your campaign - you can spend several game nights trying to acquire the missles, and it becomes an adventure in-and-of-itself… if someone else thinks they're readily available on the blackmarket, great. But really, I'm not seeing at all how this is something that FFG needs to govern. Be a GM. Set some prices. Arbitrate how many blasters fit into a crate. These are the kinds of things (I think) a GM is expected to flex based on the flow of the game and the players involved.

I know my players would probably never come back if I gave them a ship with rocket launchers, but no easy way to buy rockets.

On the topic of talent changes, as someone who plays an assassin, I'm really unhappy with the change.

Removing deadly accuracy IMO hurts the assassin a great deal, and for the trade off I'm not impressed. I don't mind adding dodge into the mix, but the intellect based damage talent would be a much better substitute and would retain the lethal (and specialized) edge of the assassin.

Otherwise i like the changes.

Opinion: I like how droids are being handeled. It is inovative. I have played several other RPGs in the past and I have never seen anything like this before. It is like a design your own race mechaninc.This would seem unrealistic in most settings but it works well with the setting. Droids in the setting come in all shapes and sizes and with a great variety of characteristics. Really the defining characteristic of droids is that thier characteristics are so varried.

Concern: As writen in the beta book droids are weak. I think the erata was needed but giving them extra skills in thier career doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't feel droid like to me dor does it fit with build your own race mechanic. The enduring talent feels more droid like to me.

Idea: Thier is a rule at my job that you can't bring a problem up in staff meeting unless you have at least one idea for solving it. This has cut down on the winny rants. Perhaps if the droid could choose a couple of skills from a list of droid skills like:computers, perception, resiliance, knowledge (any). Perhaps a droid like tallent:

Reboot: Once per encounter a droid may turn himself off and restart himself. He become unconcious for two minutes and than recovers 5 strain.

Backup: A droid character may keep a backup copy of his memory with the local droid shop. If he dies he may come back in a new body with no knowledge or expierience from the session in which he died. he gains a new obligation because of the debt to his maker.

Bones1968 said:

Idea: Thier is a rule at my job that you can't bring a problem up in staff meeting unless you have at least one idea for solving it. This has cut down on the winny rants. Perhaps if the droid could choose a couple of skills from a list of droid skills like:computers, perception, resiliance, knowledge (any). Perhaps a droid like tallent:

Reboot: Once per encounter a droid may turn himself off and restart himself. He become unconcious for two minutes and than recovers 5 strain.

Backup: A droid character may keep a backup copy of his memory with the local droid shop. If he dies he may come back in a new body with no knowledge or expierience from the session in which he died. he gains a new obligation because of the debt to his maker.

These are great ideas! I think i`ll adopt them as house rules.

I'd like to offer that I'm also really disappointed with the Assassin not having the Deadly Accuracy talent anymore. Seems like such a waste.

Seriously. Assasins with Deadly Accuracy 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awayputurwpn said:

I'd like to offer that I'm also really disappointed with the Assassin not having the Deadly Accuracy talent anymore. Seems like such a waste.

Agreed.

Over in the Week 10 Update thread, I posited another possible suggestion to give Assassins back Deadly Accuracy. Instead of dropping the Column 1/Row 4 Stalker talent to make room for Dodge, instead drop one of the Sniper Shot talents in Column 2 (Row 5 would be my suggestion) and put Deadly Accuracy in there.