Does this system have a name?

By SirUrza, in General Discussion

We had d6, then d20, and of course Saga… is this just being called Edge or?

SirUrza said:

No official name yet. Since even the "narrative dice system" has yet to be named, people have just taken to referring to it as "FFG's Star Wars Roleplaying Game System." But for a shorter moniker, yeah, "Edge" is apparently being used in common parlance and on the Interwebz :)

awayputurwpn said:

SirUrza said:

No official name yet. Since even the "narrative dice system" has yet to be named, people have just taken to referring to it as "FFG's Star Wars Roleplaying Game System." But for a shorter moniker, yeah, "Edge" is apparently being used in common parlance and on the Interwebz :)

I can live with Star Wars Edge…. "FFG's Star Wars Roleplaying Game System" is too unwieldy.

"Star Wars Roleplaying System that is based on the WFRP 3rd system but with big tweaks"?

Or SWRPSTIBOTWFRP3SBWBT for short?

Or Star Wars: WFRP 3rd?

More seriously, I would probably call this FFG Star Wars for short (especially as the later sets are not going to be called Edge of Empire)..

If you call it Edge, then that gets confusing when the next two Core books come out that use the same system. Also, much of this system has already been used pre-Edge for FFG's Warhammer, so calling it by a Star Wars name is not appropriate. Something more generic to cover both of them would be better. It's FFG's Narrative RPG System, something much shorter that means the same thing since Star Wars FFGNRPGS is a mouthful. Just FN?

Hmm, if you try to pronounce that initialism, you get something sounding like, "Finger Pigs". :)

I think we'll be calling this game EotE for the duration. We'll want to separate it for AR (Age of rebellion) and DF (Destiny and the Force).

Maybe just EE?

It'll be like WotC's OCR (Original Core Rulebook), RCR (Revised Core Rulebook), & Saga ed.

WEG is fine just as WEG, because I don't think anyone wants to remember anything before their 2nd Ed R&R ed.

-WJL

Actually, from my experience, many players prefer aspects of pre-Revised and Expanded WEG. Most of the people I have talked to seem to grab the bits they like from the three different editions and mix and match (Though 1st edition seemed to be the one that seemed to feature the least, though I think in part that was down to when people started playing, which mostly seems to be 2nd ed era).

Though I think the 2nd edition book is the only time I have felt "You know, these guys could learn something about rules organisation from FFG." Horrible organisation (The combat rules don't include the structure of turns… instead those are in the Gamesmaster Section. Force rules and species stats: The background section).

And how much different was RCR and OCR? I would tend only to differentiate between Saga and pre Saga, as Saga was different enough to warrant a different system reference.

I still think FFG Star Wars as the overall name (ie when referring to the system as a whole, rather than the individual items). And the system mechanics. They will probably always remain WFRP 3rd in my mind. However, if they publish another totally unrelated game line using the same mechanics, then maybe just the FFG RPG system, or the FFG system for short.

borithan said:

Actually, from my experience, many players prefer aspects of pre-Revised and Expanded WEG. Most of the people I have talked to seem to grab the bits they like from the three different editions and mix and match (Though 1st edition seemed to be the one that seemed to feature the least, though I think in part that was down to when people started playing, which mostly seems to be 2nd ed era).

Though I think the 2nd edition book is the only time I have felt "You know, these guys could learn something about rules organisation from FFG." Horrible organisation (The combat rules don't include the structure of turns… instead those are in the Gamesmaster Section. Force rules and species stats: The background section).

And how much different was RCR and OCR? I would tend only to differentiate between Saga and pre Saga, as Saga was different enough to warrant a different system reference.

I still think FFG Star Wars as the overall name (ie when referring to the system as a whole, rather than the individual items). And the system mechanics. They will probably always remain WFRP 3rd in my mind. However, if they publish another totally unrelated game line using the same mechanics, then maybe just the FFG RPG system, or the FFG system for short.

I agree. I still favor WEG 1st Ed the best out of WEG and Wizards. It never got bogged down in the woods. But then I also liked Ghostbusters too.

For game systems, I've taken to calling it SWFFG. As far as specific rulesets, there may be need in future once other books are released to differentiate Edge from other books, as well as their own versions, the same way we have RCR/OCR, 2RE vs. 2, etc.

Thats my 0.02

What about FFDP for - Fantasy Flight`s Dice Pool -? Its short, to the point, and makes for a great acronym.

gui%C3%B1o.gif

LethalDose said:

I think we'll be calling this game EotE for the duration. We'll want to separate it for AR (Age of rebellion) and DF (Destiny and the Force).

Maybe just EE?

It'll be like WotC's OCR (Original Core Rulebook), RCR (Revised Core Rulebook), & Saga ed.

WEG is fine just as WEG, because I don't think anyone wants to remember anything before their 2nd Ed R&R ed.

-WJL

At its core, FFG-SW isn't WFRP 3 - too much works differently in CGen and use of the dice. It's a child, for sure, but it's different enough.

I think, in the long run, people will be calling it FFG-SW, with EOTE sticking as the particular book shorthand… at least, so long as they don't do a revised edition 3-4 years down the road. Much like most of the people I know talk about d20 SW, Revised d20 SW, and Saga Ed.

Unless, as WOTC did, they actually give a strong name to the system and release some other systems with the same core rules mechanics (and just different CGen options)… much as WEG did with d6.

I'm just going to call it "Stan". Star Wars Edge of the Empire - powered by Stan.

That Blasted Samophlange said:

I'm just going to call it "Stan". Star Wars Edge of the Empire - powered by Stan.

Stan short for STA r wars N arrative of course. gran_risa.gif

Sturn said:

Stan short for STA r wars N arrative of course. gran_risa.gif

SWAN would be better - "Star Wars Adventure Narrative"…

But, as with the various Trek Systems, once a 3rd company becomes involved, people will tend to use the company name instead.

I think there'd be too much confusion that Stan! had something to do with the game, since he's worked for both WEG and WOTC, and at least one or two iterations of a swrpg.

The system that powers the current Doctor Who game was unofficially called "George" for a while. Now it seems to be unofficially called the "Saturday Afternoon Tea Time Adventure System".

I think Stan or Swan would be great.