The Fledermaus: SF3D and MA.K.?

By pduggan, in Dust Warfare

Has anyone commented on the striking resemblance between the Fledermaus and the scratchbuilt design of Kow Yokohama, also called the Feldermaus, for SF3D and Maschinen Kreiger?

javascript:void(0);/*1350571410837*/

Wow 2 fighters with swept wings they must have copied it.

The Fledermaus is inspired by the Horten flyings wings, mr. Parente has himself said so in an interview.

Wow, those strikingly don't really resemble each other at all…

The Horten flying wing lacks nozzles under the wings for VTOL. Also skids for landing gear. Also, like, the names.

I'll grant that both SF3d and Dust are going for the high-tech but plausible WWII aesthetic, there is bound to be some overlap. I actually think its kinda cool. SF3d has always encouraged people to modify and make their own contributions to the genre.

Oh, actually, Paolo Parente credited Yokoyama for general inspiration long ago. I'll count this one as an homage.

"Dust-War: What was your inspiration for the Dust world?

Paolo Parente: Dust is truly a dream come true. It started as a compilation of pictures, drawings and converted model-kits that I developed many years ago as “personal project” intended to become the setting for a series of comic books and (in my dreams) a miniature game. Model-kits and miniature wargaming have been my hobby since childhood.

The main inspiration is WW2, especially the late years and all those German projects that go under the name of Paper Tanks, and then you need to add the Japanese Mangas from Makoto Kobajashi, the models from Kow Yokoyama, Kondo and the Indiana Jones movies. A pinch of Hugo Pratt, Gary Gianni, Mignola, Dave Stevens… Shake it well … and DUST, here it is."

Personally I think the axis flier looks alot more like this than the original post.

www.luft46.com/mess/me329.html

If you wander round the Luftwaffe 46 site you'll find a half dozen planes that look to have inspired the Dust designs far more than that model.

jb11 said:

Personally I think the axis flier looks alot more like this than the original post.

www.luft46.com/mess/me329.html

If you wander round the Luftwaffe 46 site you'll find a half dozen planes that look to have inspired the Dust designs far more than that model.

The Go-229 of the Horten borthers has an even higher influence on the look of the Fledermaus.

I agree with Hierodule. The Fledermaus/Hummel kit was the first I thought of when I saw the new model. It's obvious that Parente has been inspired by Ma.K when it comes to Dust in general, and inspiration is all well and good (I'd love to see more Ma.K-esque mecha in the west!). However, I sometimes feel that the designs wouldn't be so close if the Ma.K franchise was held by some large western company instead of being a small Japanese phenomenon.

It might be in the details, but take a look at the feet of the Ganz walker for example. Don't they remind you of something? Would they look like that if the Gans was something produced by Hasbro? Or GW?

Poe said:

I agree with Hierodule. The Fledermaus/Hummel kit was the first I thought of when I saw the new model. It's obvious that Parente has been inspired by Ma.K when it comes to Dust in general, and inspiration is all well and good (I'd love to see more Ma.K-esque mecha in the west!). However, I sometimes feel that the designs wouldn't be so close if the Ma.K franchise was held by some large western company instead of being a small Japanese phenomenon.

It might be in the details, but take a look at the feet of the Ganz walker for example. Don't they remind you of something? Would they look like that if the Gans was something produced by Hasbro? Or GW?

The feet of the Ganz remind me of the feet of the AT-ST walker from Empire Stricks Back.