The Wall overpriced?

By orclrob, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Hi All,

I have been experimenting with a Baratheon Winter Deck built around "The Wall" location. Has anyone else experimented? It seems to me to be overpriced. It's abilities are pretty cool.."If it's winter Baratheon characters do not kneel to defend and get the Night watch trait" Couple that with some Night's watch characters and Maester Aemon for saves and I thought it would be pretty strong.

It just seems so easy to make it Not winter, and then what is the use for the 4 gold spent?

Just curious as to what the world wide meta has come up with in regards to this card

thanks

You just have to run a tight deck. IF you are running a Bara Wall deck then you need to also be running White Raven x3, Carrion Bird x3, Time for Ravens, and generally speaking a decent amount of draw and/or a 60 card deck. You should be able to make it Winter by turn 2 and it should never NOT be winter for more than a turn.

If you can't manage this then you are either running a lame Winter deck (focused on too many other things other than Winter and NW which is diluting your theme) or facing against a tighter Summer deck that is thwarting you. If it is the former, then it is just tuning. If it is the latter... then you need to concentrate on your tactics, if you only get it Winter for a turn or two you had better take advantage of it, for example - Shadow Stalkers are an excellent way to hammer your opponents board netting you an extra kill, Horn of Winter to slam a key location, and a well timed Seductive Promise to steal away a much needed blocker or power character (yes I know it is not seasonal, but it adds insult to injury making them hemmorage with a 4-6 card swing in your favor all in one turn).

Two tightly tuned seasonal decks generally come down to whomever has the better draw or manages their resources better.

The thing is, the person who goes last has the most control over whether it is Summer or Winter because there is no one Marshaling after them to play the Black Raven. Then, if you're not kneeling to defend, you will hopefully have the characters to block (or appropriate effect to neutralize) the Carrion Birds as the last person to attack, too. So you should be able to play your way into keeping it Winter.

But while I agree that The Wall looks cool, I have never seen enough practical advantage in it to try building a deck around it. The Night's Watch thing isn't worth it for two saves, really. And with Vigilant available for standing, the not kneeling to defend part isn't necessarily that much of a boon.

I don't think it's necessarily overpriced. In an environment where there was more advantage to being a Night's Watch, it might even look underpriced. But LCG isn't the environment. This card won't be worth it until there are reasons other than Maester Aemon and Ghost to be Night's Watch.

i tried to build a wall melee deck, figured the non kneeling defense would help the most there. I just am having trouble getting enough charcaters out to win on d even without kneeling (winning that key challenge at least). still working on it though.

I've found it is a much better deck in a joust game, where the wall is more of a red herring. I like to flop it (i have enough 1 and 0 cost locations/chars that i can still get a 3 card flop at least). Then when my opponet spends resources turning winter off or getting rid of it (hard but doable) i like to then spring the even more brutal winter bara stuff.

RE 4 gold: haven't all wall's cost four gold? Also, think that is is well worth the cost if it is winter. I also believe that it has not reached its full potiential (i think there is more nights watch synergy coming)

I think that not kneeling on defense couples with Vigilant very well. I can defend with everyone, and then attack with my vigilant characters in mass (accept against Stark in the military challenge !#*^!$@ Lethal Counter Attack), and still win dominance.

The Wall is not a card to build around yet, in that you are right... that said there is little reason not to run Jon, Ghost, and Aemon in a deck, and Bara looks good in Winter so why not toss it in? I mean if you can find the space for 4 cards in a Bara Winter deck these would be four excellent cards to include.

Lars said:

RE 4 gold: haven't all wall's cost four gold? Also, think that is is well worth the cost if it is winter. I also believe that it has not reached its full potiential (i think there is more nights watch synergy coming)

~Yeah, because the Night's Watch was so prevalent in King's Landing.

This coming from the guy who loves nothing more than running a dedicated Night's Watch deck. I miss Winter Edition. But not enough that I want to see it come back.

well in the books they had some presence in king's landing during eddards time there. i just don't think they would have been thrown into the CPs and CS randomly and wilie neillie (but i could be wrong). I'm not saying there will be a lot, i just don't think they are done yet.

Yep, there was some nightwatch presence in Kings landing, maybe we will see Yoren in the upcoming chapter packs and Jaqen, Rorge, Biter, Gendry and the like as " nightwatch. recruiter. (sort of) "

Even in an environment with no freaking location control - four gold for this is way too much. You don't just throw in four gold cards into a build, especially since you have to play with the -1 gold winter handicap. This just doesn't do enough to warrant inclusion at that price.

I played this league with a bara winter deck, with the wall. The 4 gold cost is too much, unfortunately. The vigilant theme is awesome, and it would be nice to have non-kneeling defenders, but if I have to choose between the wall and, say, Stannis.... I'm going for Stannis... I would definitely drop it to help smooth out the already tight gold curve in the deck.