Highlander Tourney Round 1 Match-Ups (Updated w/ Results!)

By Yipe, in CoC General Discussion

Wow, I only got 3 out of 6 right. I'm actually happy to be wrong on some of them though where I voted against a deck I liked just because I thought it was a bad matchup for them.

Looking at a deck and thinking "too many factions" definitely has some effect, although I didn't grade down for only three factions.

Anyway, let's see if I can do better in round 2 :)

yeah so my duel with Jefferson wasn't really a block buster of a game. it was fun but i had a counter for everything that he was playing. i felt a bit bad after because he seemed pretty disappointed with his deck. i pulled all my character control/skill reduction on him in the first turn. after that i would use cards like stygian eye and infernal obsession to take control of his first 2 characters.

Jefferson had a good deck but his problem was that he never had any characters ready because almost none of them had arcane. i would wait for him to commit on his turn then use torch club singer or street tough to reduce their skill so he wouldnt get any success tokens. i didnt even have to commit. the 2 guys i took control of were the only 2 that he put on the field with investigation. a lot of my syndicate characater had investigation i just made sure if he was going to get a token it was going to only be 1.

i also had out a crowbar with an extra domain. so i could have used torch club singer or street tough reducing his skill then slap him with crowbar.

Yipe said:

Anyway, you're right on the money when it comes to the Mulligan. Even with standard decks, in a competitive setting you have to know when to ditch your opening hand. Typically I want to see 2-3 "must have" cards in my initial draw. If I don't, or if it feels even slightly off, I always redraw because it can't really get any worse.

Highlander added a new twist to the Mulligan. If I had too many cards central to my deck's success and no reliable way to bring them back (through card effects or the stories), then I would Mulligan as well. My deck was all about controlling the tempo from the start so I needed a strong opener to have any chance at victory.

yeah about the mulligan. i hate it. every time i build my deck my number one rule is to never mulligan, so i build my decks with that in mind. i always want a good draw and every card should apply to one of the strategies i have in my deck. the way i see it is mulligans make your deck weaker and if you can consistently pull a good draw your deck will be a bit better.

dboeren said:

Wow, I only got 3 out of 6 right. I'm actually happy to be wrong on some of them though where I voted against a deck I liked just because I thought it was a bad matchup for them.

Looking at a deck and thinking "too many factions" definitely has some effect, although I didn't grade down for only three factions.

Anyway, let's see if I can do better in round 2 :)

lol i dont think there is too many factions. my cultist deck uses hastur. yog, shub, cthulhu, neutral and they they are all pretty much an even number of cards. that deck size was about 54.

One of my favorite decks though is my slippery ancient one acceleration deck it uses, Cthulhu, hastur, yog, shub, and neutral also. this deck is currently 50 cards

when i make decks i choose function over faction. i pull all cards that apply to a strat regardless of faction and see what i got.

bricks16 said:

yeah so my duel with Jefferson wasn't really a block buster of a game. it was fun but i had a counter for everything that he was playing. i felt a bit bad after because he seemed pretty disappointed with his deck. i pulled all my character control/skill reduction on him in the first turn. after that i would use cards like stygian eye and infernal obsession to take control of his first 2 characters.

Jefferson had a good deck but his problem was that he never had any characters ready because almost none of them had arcane. i would wait for him to commit on his turn then use torch club singer or street tough to reduce their skill so he wouldnt get any success tokens. i didnt even have to commit. the 2 guys i took control of were the only 2 that he put on the field with investigation. a lot of my syndicate characater had investigation i just made sure if he was going to get a token it was going to only be 1.

i also had out a crowbar with an extra domain. so i could have used torch club singer or street tough reducing his skill then slap him with crowbar.

i just wanted to add also that this game was very fast. less than 7 mins, i ended up winning in 4 turns.

bricks16, thanks for the overview of your game against Jefferson.

Here's a brief AAR for my match vs Mart's mono-Miskatonic deck:

I started out strong with Demon Lover, Diseased Sewer Rats, and Lady Lu Chu hitting the board early. I wrapped up 1 story card in a hurry and was feeling confident of a quick win when Mart dropped Chess Prodigy, Laboratory Assistant and Atwood Science Hall on a single turn!

Fortunately I had kept Infernal Obsession in my hand for just such an occasion. I stole Chess Prodigy, and then committed him (along with Anarchist) and Lady Lu Chu to different stories. I used Chess Prodigy's ability to alter the terror struggle as Mart had out Medical Student and I wanted to drive multiple characters insane.

He chose to block Lady Lu Chu with everything he had. However, I threw down a surprise Parallel Universe and backed up Lady Lu with Demon Lover's ability so she would win all the struggles. That wrapped things up for a 3-0 win in about 20 minutes.

i really did feel like i was about to gain some traction in that matchup.

until you stole the chess prodigy.

after that i was completely and totally hosed…

Ha, I did that to someone (stealing Chess Prodigy) two weeks ago. Slapped a Stygian Eye on him, which unfortunately wasn't permanent of course, but at least it did some damage to his position.

piszcadz said:

i really did feel like i was about to gain some traction in that matchup.

until you stole the chess prodigy.

after that i was completely and totally hosed…

Sorry, amigo. But the Syndicate made your Chess Prodigy an offer he couldn't refuse.