Boxed expansions = downtime

By dboeren1, in CoC General Discussion

So I'm sure you've all noticed that it's been pretty slow here recently.

Some of us have likely just been busy with stuff, and a very few are busy getting ready for Worlds and may not want to tip their hand as to what they're up to, but I also think one major factor is the lack of new releases. Under the schedule we've been used to up until now, we "should" have gotten a new pack of cards a few weeks ago and we'd be looking forward to another new one coming up soon.

Without those new cards to talk about and inspire new deck designs, things have gotten a little stagnant. Once Seekers of Knowledge hits, I'm sure we'll see a big surge in discussion, and we've already had those discussions about how the boxed model is cheaper to collect and so forth, but from a community point of view I think I prefer the monthly packs just because they help maintain a certain amount of momentum on the forums.

dboeren said:

…but from a community point of view I think I prefer the monthly packs just because they help maintain a certain amount of momentum on the forums.

I have only been playing for 3 years now, but this sort of community malaise is nothing new. Even when there was a flurry of new products and updates every friday like clockwork, there were always periods of quiet.

It really looks no different than the past 4 autumns/ winters that I have seen here.

I noticed the same thing locally with real life players. Mid-late summer and autumn do not seem to be very active in participation.

Bottomline is I do not think the release schedule or the type of product will really alter the nomalcy of communication (or lack thereof) around here.

With the curent size of card pool there is a ton of stuff to discuss even if there are no new cards introduced for quite a lot of time. New pack is a good inspiration, but i don't think this new format changes that much. We'll see.

True, sometimes slow periods just seem to happen for no real reason. Still, I think we may see a jump in activity after the new expansion comes out which will hopefully be fairly soon.

Seekers of Knowledge by the way is awesome. I got to see it this past weekend at Arkham Nights. I played mostly the board games this past weekend, but got a chance to rub elbows with all the Mythos designers and get insights to the newest sets.

Explorers are way cool, prophecy cards look like the new hotness, and I'm finally concerned about facing a mono-Miskatonic deck.

Sounds great, I can't wait until our local shop gets it in stock.

Does the polar mechanic finally get some more love?

mischraum.de said:

Does the polar mechanic finally get some more love?

~LOL, old mechanic support? Wishful thinking? /~ I really hope you're right though…

I'm hoping to participate more from now on. I've pulled out all my cards after Gencon, and I'm trying to wrap my head around all the card combos. I know I was silent for a long time just because of the depth of faction and potential card interactions.

There are at least three new polar cards in the set… I want to say 2 locations and 1 event, but I don't remember for sure.

Penfold said:

There are at least three new polar cards in the set… I want to say 2 locations and 1 event, but I don't remember for sure.

Yea!!! Thanks Penfold. Any details on the event?

Penfold said:

I suspected that we'd see Polar come back, some of the teaser pics seemed to show an emphasis on arctic scenes. Very cool! The locations are intriguing too, I like the lost city concept - it would be awesome to see a lot more of the fabled places from the writings make it into the game. I just hope they aren't exclusively for Miskatonic just because they're the ones most likely to field a team to go look for them.

Oh, there are two polar events if I remember correctly.

One which only allows a single icon struggle to take place at a story, and one which lets you jump a miskatonic character into a challenge when one is destroyed at a story. I don't remember the exact wording or the names though.

Penfold said:

and one which lets you jump a miskatonic character into a challenge when one is destroyed at a story. I don't remember the exact wording or the names though.

It's Dr. Mya Badry's home study course! Now YOU TOO can magically appear anywhere a dead body exists :)

lol. I love that card.