THE DARK BYAKHEE

By COCLCG, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

yep. well. i think that's the nail in the coffin. and after all that.

just recieved a scan of the new seekers of knowledge, and cannot be bothered reworking all my decks to cater for it without any new toys to do it with, and im not interested in making any miskatonic decks. my prediction though after a brief look is that 'devil's hop yard' is gonna see some more action.

still, it hasnt been a total waste of 6 months. ive designed my own card game in the process, so will switch attention to finishing that off and beginning the playtesting period, and getting back to uni. ill see if by next tournament season whether i could be arsed catching up and defending the title.

ill pop back a few more times to see if theres any responses that need answering, but if not then carry on and enjoy people !!

also i checked my COC email address for the first time in a couple of months and found this little beauty:

Hello, Mr. EDIT: Rhubarb Montgomery,

I'm writing to you because I've received a number of complaints about your comments in the FFG forums. I've reviewed the threads, and while I'm not deleting or editing remarks at this time, I am asking you to alter the tone of your responses to others. The latest complaint I received was about the following remark:

"are you on drugs ?? ( or perhaps its that mind eater sucking out any rational thoughts from your brain )." EDIT: hey, the guys got a picture of the mind eater card as his avatar and this was meant as a joke.

This is simply rude and will not be tolerated. Please consider this a warning. If you do not refrain from the derogatory comments in your remarks about decks and deck-building, I will be forced to edit and/or delete your posts and potentially your account. I know you've been an active forum user and have contributed much to the discussions, so I would prefer if you could simply moderate your own approach to the communication. Thank you.

Sincerely,

JoshFFG Forum Moderator

looks like some people have been crying to mummy !! haha. it made me laugh though so thanks.

jhaelen said:

And I'd either add another copy of the Guardian Pillar or use a different restricted card, maybe Sewer Rats or Descendant of Eibon.

this might be a good idea but before i go i'll tell you a little story about why i'm so afraid to play with 3 x unique cards.

it was a coupla months ago, when my games tally sat at a measly 30 total instead of the 500+ that it is now. id done my months worth of solid research but for play time i was basically still a newbie. and then i met Tom Capor on lackey ( you know that guy - world champion and all - haha ), and we played a few games over the course of a few days.

first 4 or 5 and i got creamed, but watching the playstyle and learning from him instead of just trying to win was a slingshot of leaps and bounds by miles in my own playing ability, and i'm thankful to him for this rare insight, and the player that it has helped me become.

but then it happened. and statistically speaking it was bound to and isn't really a reflection on either of our playing abilities. around game 5 or 6 against him i had a dream run, had him on the ropes, my vale of pnath was doing his head in, i was flush with the oncoming victory. 2 stories my way and 3 successes on the 3rd. characters equally matched on the board and it was my turn. it didn't matter what i drew, as long as it was something i could put on the table, and there it would be. defeated the world champion. id started making my paper mache trophy with a magnus card on top to celebrate. he'd next to given up, but as is a hallmark of a champion he said he'd fight to the end.

so, smile on face and with happiness in my heart i drew my next 2 cards……….. to reveal the 2nd AND 3rd copy of the vale of pnath.

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo…………

you only get one chance against people like Tom. and mine just dissolved like the asperin i would soon be taking after beating my head against the wall repeatedly. i couldnt do anything for the turn, and slowly he clawed back to take the match.

i never saw him again after that……… and all i am left with is a half completed paper mache mound of broken dreams that reminds me of the day 3 uniques choked my chance of a world champion victory. hahaha.

so yes, i DREAD the thought of that ever happening again. i know, what are the chances ?? but murphy is always waiting around the corner.

POSTSCRIPT: im presuming Tom agreed to play with me because as an under financed australian i had no hopes of ever making it to a major competition, and it was an ideal testing ground for some of his decks ( one of which was the misk / hastur deck he ran at the warm up to the north american championships i believe ). for all my blathering, i have an ingrained sense of dignity, honor and respect, and i would never reveal anyones secrets, and by disabling spectators he was assured that nothing that was seen would ever leave the 'table'.

this invitation goes out to any players that would like to give their decks a last run before worlds, and if they want to arrange a game via lackey then id be more than pleased to trial it for them, and i will play as many games as they like against a variety of decks as a last bash ode before i take my leave. it is a bit outdated and missing the last 2 AP's, but i've already played one of the quarter finalists from the european championship and we simply substituted a couple of cards.

COCLCG said:

i've found guardian pillar far too uselful to swap it i'm afraid. being able to commit after all other characters is such a mind trick for the opponent and suits the defensive / reactionary nature of the deck.
www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp gui%C3%B1o.gif

Are you sure, you can commit the Guardian Pillar after all other characters are committed? I feel the card's wording doesn't support this, actually. It reminds me more of the wording on Y'Golonac, than, say, Dirk Sharpe.

good question. i just read it as exhaust and it does so. doesnt really matter as ive obsoleted this deck, am no longer happy with it as its getting creamed by my new decks, and i havent played it for a few weeks. but useful to know for the future.

jhaelen said:

COCLCG said:

i've found guardian pillar far too uselful to swap it i'm afraid. being able to commit after all other characters is such a mind trick for the opponent and suits the defensive / reactionary nature of the deck.

I didn't dare asking this right away, but HilariousPete's post in the Guardian pillar thread ( www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp ) gave me the courage gui%C3%B1o.gif

Are you sure, you can commit the Guardian Pillar after all other characters are committed? I feel the card's wording doesn't support this, actually. It reminds me more of the wording on Y'Golonac, than, say, Dirk Sharpe.

FAQ:

Does Guardian Pillar’s (Dreamlands
F78) ability allow it to be committed
outside of the normal phase when
characters can be committed to stories?

No, Guardian Pillar’s ability allows
it to be committed as a character to a
story. This is during the normal timing
window when characters are committed
to stories. Also, it is important to note
that Guardian Pillar is no longer a
support card while it is a character,
and that it does retain its name and
uniqueness

Ah, thanks, so it's even in the FAQ!

Oops. That's embarassing. Been a couple of months since my last FAQ read so it musta slipped my mind. Time for a re-read me thinks. Thanks for the info,