Help to create new action card: Barrel roll 180 turn

By Salamanderjunior, in X-Wing Battle Reports

I believe this is the best place to post this. The rules section believe it is only for the officers. Am I right?

At the request of my gaming group (many complaints to turn quickly the ship) I'm think the following and ask for their opinions or tests to improve the idea.

Create a new card upgrade of elite talents.
You would perform a barrel roll with maneuver template "turn 1". At the end of the movement turns your ship 180 degrees.

Peculiarities of the action:
You put two tokens stress due to the high difficulty of the maneuver.
If in the action bar you have the barrel roll symbol roll one attack die if appear a critical damage (or normal damage), go to the pile of damage cards and select a card "blinded pilot" and put in his ship.
If not the symbol of barrel roll, roll two attack dice instead of one. The card is discarded after executing a green maneuver along with a stress token. Can be stunned pilot's card.

Maybe just the two stress tokens are already enough. The koiogran turn is great but you are away a lot and can hardly make a good approximation to attack.
I wanted to type something like the pilot was dizzy, stunned and then discard the card damage and did not make it into fixed damage.

Observing the maneuver template and catching a straight speed of 2, I see that has the symbol of koiogran speed 2. Just do not have the ship that makes this move yet. Incidentally, there koiogran in straight speed 2, 3, 4 and 5.
The "split S" turn or "stall turn" maneuvers meet me.

Idealized maneuver like this: maneuver template turn 1 or turn 2, putting the side of the ship (like the barrel roll) and moving the ship at the end of the maneuver template, spinning it 180 degrees.

Or it could be done with maneuver templates bank 1 or bank 2 too.

I need opinions please, thanks.

Salamanderjunior said:

I believe this is the best place to post this. The rules section believe it is only for the officers. Am I right?

At the request of my gaming group (many complaints to turn quickly the ship) I'm think the following and ask for their opinions or tests to improve the idea.

Create a new card upgrade of elite talents.
You would perform a barrel roll with maneuver template "turn 1". At the end of the movement turns your ship 180 degrees.

Peculiarities of the action:
You put two tokens stress due to the high difficulty of the maneuver.
If in the action bar you have the barrel roll symbol roll one attack die if appear a critical damage (or normal damage), go to the pile of damage cards and select a card "blinded pilot" and put in his ship.
If not the symbol of barrel roll, roll two attack dice instead of one. The card is discarded after executing a green maneuver along with a stress token. Can be stunned pilot's card.

Maybe just the two stress tokens are already enough. The koiogran turn is great but you are away a lot and can hardly make a good approximation to attack.
I wanted to type something like the pilot was dizzy, stunned and then discard the card damage and did not make it into fixed damage.

Observing the maneuver template and catching a straight speed of 2, I see that has the symbol of koiogran speed 2. Just do not have the ship that makes this move yet. Incidentally, there koiogran in straight speed 2, 3, 4 and 5.
The "split S" turn or "stall turn" maneuvers meet me.

Idealized maneuver like this: maneuver template turn 1 or turn 2, putting the side of the ship (like the barrel roll) and moving the ship at the end of the maneuver template, spinning it 180 degrees.

Or it could be done with maneuver templates bank 1 or bank 2 too.

I need opinions please, thanks.

No. The current ships aren't supposed to be able to turn on a dime. The shortest U-Turn is currently 3 for a reason (and that is actually pretty short). In the future there may be ships with a shorter U-turn move and the boost action may also enable a way to turn around quickly as well.

Also, that new pilot card you're suggesting is just a mess.

ShadowJak said:

Sorry, but I'm not suggesting a new pilot's card. But a elite talent upgrade card. Allow a new action.

Salamanderjunior said:

ShadowJak said:

Sorry, but I'm not suggesting a new pilot's card. But a elite talent upgrade card. Allow a new action.

Yeah, I mistyped that. I know what you are trying to do. It's still a mess.

Shadowjack, what do you suggest?

We did some tests and we were playing well (not definitive):
maneuver template "turn 2" placed at side to the base and ending the move turning 180º. Two stress tokens. Opens possibility to attack the enemy outside of the firing arc, but the cost is high to pay.
We will continue doing tests.

the mechanics aren't the issue so much, as the fact that these ships shouldn't be able to perform such an action… what shadowjack is saying is that there are newer/faster/more agile ships that may be able to accomplish what you are trying to achieve…

ultimately, it's your game and your friends, play it how you like- just our input

(as i fanboy, i couldn't bring myself to have an xwing do things it wouldn't be able to do in an actual dogfight)

Salamanderjunior said:

Shadowjack, what do you suggest?

We did some tests and we were playing well (not definitive):
maneuver template "turn 2" placed at side to the base and ending the move turning 180º. Two stress tokens. Opens possibility to attack the enemy outside of the firing arc, but the cost is high to pay.
We will continue doing tests.

I would do nothing and just play the game as it is. What you are suggesting is imbalanced and inconsistent with the rest of the game

You and your friends don't have the capability to "test" anything. Testing requires dozens of players and hundreds of games of well recorded data (not just wins and loses) to remove confirmation, selection, and other biases. Are there dozens of you? Can any of you do statistics? Do you not have full time jobs so you can play hundreds of games? If not, you're just wasting your time.

You're not game designers. Just because you and your friends play a lot of games doesn't mean you can design anything. If you think you could be a game designer, submit your resume to game companies and see what they say. The people who do work for game companies didn't find golden tickets, win tournaments, or anything else like that to get the jobs they have; they sent in resumes and talked to hiring managers like any other job.