Other Characters?

By ktom, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

We haven't had one of these threads for awhile.

The "Kings Landing Expansion" article mentioned a couple of characters from the books that will be seen in card form for the first time. Characters like Ser Dontos and Jeyne Poole could be interesting additions. (And huge grist in the "not-Nedly-enough" mill....) One of the great things about GRRMs books is that there are so many characters, it's hard to imagine FFG running out anytime soon.

So, especially for those Ned among us, who "needs" to be a card? Or who hasn't been seen for a couple of years that needs a new card? And what would it need to do (generally; it's not necessarily "design a card") to be "Nedly"?

(If experience tells us anything, I'm predicting a lot of Hot Pie votes.)

Note: Please be careful about spoilers.

Ser Flement Brax. If you ask me, the Lancel Lannister from Clash of Arms should have been Flement. The ability seems more Flement than Lancel.

Same holds true with Sarella Sand over Obara Sand. She's the only Sand Snake we haven't got a character for yet, and she is rather devious, if Doran's comment about her and her "game" in the early pages of Feast for Crows means anything (which, of course, it does -- but no spoilers lol).

In Kings Landing there are quite a few characters from Feast fir Crows that would be nice to see:

Aurane Waters, Tayna Merryweather, Giles Rosby, the Stokeworths (What sort of ability would Lolys have? Scary), Horror and Slobber, and how many could be fielded just from the "Faith?"

I'd also like to see Varimir Six Skins and The Weaper for the wildlings. Both of these guys could be nasty as hell.

Charachters i would like to see in the upcoming chapter packs are:

• The Red Viper
  • Arianne Martell
  • Doran Martell
  • Darkstar
  • The Sandsnakes ( the ones which aren´t actually LCG legal)
  • Ser Aerys Oakheart (wil be probably in the kingsguard content of the upcoming cp)
  • Balon Greyjoy
  • Euron Greyjoy
  • Victarion Greyjoy
  • Asha Greyjoy
  • Aeron Greyjoy
  • The knight

Yep, i know most of the cards have been in the last CCG expansions, but i think Martell and Greyjoy players deserve more than just 1 or 2 main charachters. Arianne Martell and The Red viper have always been the heart and soul of a Martell deck, Areo Hotah, Theon and Alannys are a start, but the main charachters should really be in print and available.

Besides the named cards i would like to see:

• Rickon Stark
  • The Reeks
  • The Blackfish
  • Ser Gregor Clegane
  • Tommen Baratheon
  • Gormond Goodbrother
  • Lord of Bones
  • Ser Jorah Mormont (was somehow ignored in the CS)
  • Podrick Payne
  • Gevin Harlaw
  • some more bloodriders
  • Septa Mordane

Probably we should also start a list with charachters we don´t want to see again, or don´t need X time sfor LCG, just like Maester Aemon; GM Pycelle, Selyse Baratheon, Renly Baratheon. I found these double prints relative annoying (even if some of the cards have a good game text) given the limited card pool of the LCG.

Firstly, after only reading through the books once, and AFfC over 2 years ago I am now realizing how many fringe characters I have forgotten about or don't even remember at all. Time to read the books again I guess?

Secondly, I think, and this is only from what makes sense in my head, the Kings Landing expansion will focus on Kings Landing leaving unique GJ and Martel characters on the outside looking in. This would create mostly Lannister characters though so hopefully my gut is wrong.

The character I would like to see that is also connected to Kings Landing is Syrio Forel.

Old Ben said:

Probably we should also start a list with charachters we don´t want to see again, or don´t need X time sfor LCG, just like Maester Aemon; GM Pycelle, Selyse Baratheon, Renly Baratheon. I found these double prints relative annoying (even if some of the cards have a good game text) given the limited card pool of the LCG.

I'm of the opposite mind of you for many of those cards. Renly and Selyse got the King and Queen trait, respectively, and that isn't a bad thing. Pycelle in a way fits the plot manipulation theme of the later packs, and Aemon is a very useful character, though rather redundant in some ways as well. Considering the theme of the secondary Kings and Queens, it would have made little sense not to include Queen Selyse, and Renly actually fits in better with the Five Kings kings, which I like -- I wasn't much for him not having the trait in 5KE.

I agree with you on the Martell and Greyjoy characters, as these two houses are lagging behind the major houses (I still joke that I am really running a Night's Watch/neutral joke instead of Martell, regardless of what my house card says). I'm also looking forward to the introduction of "cancel" cards, since the game needs something like that. There is absolutely no worries when I play an event card right now, and I'm not thrilled by that prospect.

Egg said:

Firstly, after only reading through the books once, and AFfC over 2 years ago I am now realizing how many fringe characters I have forgotten about or don't even remember at all. Time to read the books again I guess?

Secondly, I think, and this is only from what makes sense in my head, the Kings Landing expansion will focus on Kings Landing leaving unique GJ and Martel characters on the outside looking in. This would create mostly Lannister characters though so hopefully my gut is wrong.

The character I would like to see that is also connected to Kings Landing is Syrio Forel.

Yeah, no Greyjoy characters ever made it to Kings Landing, but there was the Martell contingent, so perhaps we might see a Red Viper in the set, or one of the other minor lords who came with him (Lady Jordayne of the Tor anyone).

Trimmed from Old Ben's list, the most important characters I'd like to see in the LCG format:

• The Red Viper
  • Arianne Martell
  • Balon Greyjoy
  • Euron Greyjoy
  • Asha Greyjoy
  • The Blackfish
  • Ser Gregor Clegane
  • Ser Jorah Mormont (#1 glaring omission for sure!)
  • Podrick Payne
  • some more bloodriders

And have there ever been Rorge and Biter cards before? I think they have enough time in-story to warrant cards perhaps. :-) And having a Jaqen that isn't banned from LCG would be nice as well.

Jeor "Old Bear" Mormont. Probably my favorite "non-featured" (or whatever you'd call the character's who don't have chapters from their point of view) character in the books. Looking at Mainn's website, he's only been available twice, once way back in Westeros edition and then later as a promo in Winter. I think a reprint of the Winter promo would fit in nicely with the developing Night's Watch trait, although his cost may need to be jacked up to 3G (others can better opine if he's too good at 2G):

2G, 2STR, Mil+Pow

Night's Watch

No attachments.

Any phase : kneel Old Bear Mormont to choose and stand another Night's Watch or Lord character.

Response : after a character you control is killed, stand Old Bear Mormont.

1) LGR, old bear is a non-pov character :P

2) I'd actually like to see a new version of old bear. There is a lot of standing in the environment right now (especially in bara who would get the most use out of him. Most lords and the wall)

3) i've always wanted to see some of the "Sparrow" (faith) characters. I think they could be some interesting nuetral control to allow for some cool and non traditional themes for some houses.

4) Rings' favoured bandwagon - Brotherhood chartacters!! I think a king's landing CP theme could fit these guys in (they were mostly around that area though not directly in it.

5) I think Blackfish would make a great shadow character...though that might be more to do with GRRM writting so slow and us not knowing what is going on with him more then an actual 'shadow' ability. Others who i think will be shadows: Varys, Littlefinger, Queen of Thorns (lannister not duel house), the guy they misspelled (the one who 'helps' sansa, Cat, Davos or Mel (probably not both), and a targ in house iilyrio (i think he makes a cameo in Kings Landing....when arya overhears a convo, no?). Not to merge threads, but oh well, I think the shadows are going to be useful to you, but say if you are playing against house X they will have an advantage for opponet. Think of Queen of thonrs and her time in Kings landing or Cat and her dealings with bara...

Still a lot of characters we've never seen.

Freys (Stark, Lanni or nuetral): Ser Stevron, Edwyn, Ser Perwyn,

Starks: Vayon Poole, Harrion Karstark, Cley Cerwyn, Fat Walda (Bolton)

Tully's: Ser Desmond Grell, Ser Robin Ryger, Utherdys Wayn, Jason Mallister, Patrek Mallister Ser Marq Piper

Targ's: Quaro, Irri & Jiqqui

Bloody Mummers: Urswyck, Septon Utt, Shagwell, Fat Zollo

Tyrells: The Redwyne Bros, Matthis Rowan

Lanni's: Genna Frey, Ser Daven Lannister, Vylarr, Strongboar,

Bara: Ser Andrew Estermont, Bryce Caron, Dale & Allard Seaworth

Greyjoys: Qarl the Maid, Tristifer Botley,

Ser Lothor Brune, Ser Lyn Corbray

there is a qarl the maid in 5 kings and he was fairly useful

JerusalemJones said:

Old Ben said:

I'm of the opposite mind of you for many of those cards. Renly and Selyse got the King and Queen trait, respectively, and that isn't a bad thing. Pycelle in a way fits the plot manipulation theme of the later packs, and Aemon is a very useful character, though rather redundant in some ways as well. Considering the theme of the secondary Kings and Queens, it would have made little sense not to include Queen Selyse, and Renly actually fits in better with the Five Kings kings, which I like -- I wasn't much for him not having the trait in 5KE.

I

I don´t think that we are of an opposite mind in that theme. My first explanation was rather clumsy. I appreciate the cp charachters of Aemon, Pycelle, Selyse and Renly, all of them make sense and are good for the enviroment. But i don´t think we need the Core set versions of the named charachters for the LCG format at the moment. These cards could have been another great unique charachter in the Core set- supporting the nedliness factor of the game. 8 different unique charachters is better than only 4 different unique charachters in my opinion.

JerusalemJones said:

I agree with you on the Martell and Greyjoy characters, as these two houses are lagging behind the major houses (I still joke that I am really running a Night's Watch/neutral joke instead of Martell, regardless of what my house card says). I'm also looking forward to the introduction of "cancel" cards, since the game needs something like that. There is absolutely no worries when I play an event card right now, and I'm not thrilled by that prospect.

:-) A thematic kingsguard or nightwatch deck is easier to build these days than a Martell or Greyjoy deck (or at least a Martell or Greyjoy deck which feels like Martell/Greyjoy).

The only event cancel card in LCG is "To be a kraken" - > loophole to the Greyjoy/ Martell representation in LCG. Papershield, price of failure or sort of it would be nice. I´m sharing the opinion of those on the boards who have been asking for a two player starter/ legacy pack/ etc. including Greyjoy, Martell and some missing cards (cancels, location control, attachment control).

And one more thing: Please don´t let Lanni an Targ have all the toolbox cards. My recent LCG deckbuilding experiences left me under the impression, that these two houses are two steps ahead at the moment.

Marq Piper

Rickon Stark

Maergery Tyrell

Queen of Thorns

Ser Alester Florent (preferably a straight reprint of the VED verison)

Ser Amory Lorch (ditto - just to see madk's reaction)

Thanks Lars - obviously my frequency of play has severely declined over the last 2 years - I can't remember a lot of the cards. Haven't re-read the books as frequently as I used to either - a few years ago would've been able to list off a couple of maesters off the top of my head.

Lots of candidates for reprints. But as far as characters we've never seen - I'm probably most surprised that we haven't seen versions of Dany's maids yet - also very surprised we haven't seen a Lothor Brune yet - Talons set would have been perfect

~another Pycelle, right? Can't have enough, and I don't think he has ever NOT been legal.

Oh, and Hot Pie. Happy, Ktom? :)

rings said:

~another Pycelle, right? Can't have enough, and I don't think he has ever NOT been legal.

Ha. The latest Pycelle annoyed me because of his flavor text. The quote, "The game changed while I lay rotting in my bed." Thats a Tyrion Lannister quote, that he thinks to himself about himself, in a Storm of Swords after his injury in the battle for King's Landing. Talk about out of context use...

If I ever win the opportunity to create a card, I'm going to make the old man that the Tickler kills, the one everyone calls "All For Joffrey." Forget power cards, I want to waste mine on a no-name peon who is in the books for one paragraph!

Bring back Yoren! He's the character I look the most like.

Hey, if the next set is Kings Landing themed, might we get a new Symon Silvertongue? ~Or Shae, we really need a new Shae. (And, yeah, the Pycelle quote sorta irks me as well, but I'll live with it).

Ooooo. Good thread!

Whenever discussions of new characters come upand Ktom's right, they're too infrequent) I have to hold back a flood of ideas/requests. So I'm glad this one has a built-in restraining order.

First, it's a King's Landing set. So, there's that. I'll only out forth people from King's Landing. And that alone has a bunch of implications, many of which verge on spoilerhood, so away with any such! Let me just say, that at the risk of veering back into Winter territory, I'd prefer a King's Landing set based on who we see in in King's Landing and the power in KL, and not on who controls King's Landing. Thus, I'd like it to be neutral-ish. Partially for Game balance (I don't want a set swimming in Lannister and Baratheons and maybe three Stark guardsmen), but also, I'd still love to see some minor characters get some play, people who at various points in the book may have thrown in their lot with whoever is in power, if the story had gone that way. (For example, I love the Lannister Wo5K Jhalabhar Xho, but I'd have liked to see him as a Neut. ) Yoren is another character I suspect is a fan favorite.

Syrio, Varys and Littlefinger are all characters I'd love to see as Neutrals, even though they all have strong versions in the... well, I was going to say Standard, but I guess I mean good recent versions. I'd love a game-breaking Varys, though, or even a reprint of Claim-Raise Varys. Who could be Neutraller?

I wouldn't mind seeing Tobho Mott, and the High Septon. Pyromancer Hallyne's existing version sees little play that I know of, so maybe he's due. I think Symon Silvertongue was a great card for his mechanic, but his mechanic (Valyrian Ed. story events, which incidentally favored Lannister to a Holy Cow level) is gone, so let's give him another!

And if we're doing House characters... how about a pair of good Cassels? They both made the trip, after all.

I want to see a new Red Viper and Ellaria Sand. This is the Oberon who poisoned his spear head, faced off against the Moutain without a trace of fear, and plotted to put Myrcella on the throne.

Among the Viper's enterouge we have Ser Dezial Dalt, Lord Tremond Gargalen, Lord Harmen Uller, his brother Ser Ulwyck, Ser Ryon Allyrion, his son Ser Daemon Sand, the Bastard of Godsgrace, Lord Dagos Manwoody, his brother Ser Myles, his sons Mors and Dickon, Ser Arron Qorgyle, Myria Jordayne, heir to the Tor, Lady Larra Blackmont, her daughter Jynessa, her son Perros, and Ellaria Sand. Now we have a legal Daemon Sand (Bastard of God's Grace) and that is it from this group.

I'd also like to see Cersei's Small Council, Qyburn, her Master of Whispers, Orton Merryweather, her justiciar, Gyles Rosby, her lord treasurer, Aurane Waters, her high admiral, and Ser Harys Swyft, her new Hand of the King.

Bara could get some new Tyrell's. Several names have been put forward for the Starks... so we have Greyjoy and Targ being left out. I'm confident that something could be done covering them perhaps matching cards for their own areas, Daeny gets her handmaidens or new Queensguards (or maybe the heads of her mercenary armies) and Greyjoy get's some Kingsmoot characters.

Sorry about that triple post! Trying to figure out how to delete them.