Trial forest tile rules.

By Panzer soldier, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

I am trying out some new terrain for Dust Tactics. Please give the tenative rules a read and give me some feedback. Thanks all!

Forest Tiles:

1. Blocks Line Of Sight for infantry units.

2. The forest tile may not be occupied by any unit type.

3. If a vehicle enters a forest tile roll 1 dice.
A. On a bulls eye roll the vehicle is immobilized and may not move for the rest of the game.
B. On a roll of blank the forest tile is destroyed by the vehicle and removed from play.
C. Vehicles equipped with doserblades automatically destroy the forest tile and are not required to
roll a dice to see if they are immobilized.

4. No additional Cover Elements may be placed on a forest tile.

5. The forest tile provides Soft Cover for Infantry Units adjacent to the forest tile.

Alternate forest fire rules:

1. The following weapons may light a fire in a forest tile.
Phasers, Lasers, Flamethrowers, and Molotov Cocktails, may start forest fires.

2. To start the fire a player simply states he or she will use an action to attack the forest tile.
A. If a bull’s eye rolled the tile is considered to be set on fire.
B. Some sort of fire marker must be placed on the forest tile to represent he fire.
C. The forest fire tile now blocks line of sight for all units except air units.

3. At the begging of each turn roll 1 dice for each forest fire tile.
A. On a roll of bull’s eye the fire destroys the forest tile and it is removed from play.
B. On a roll of blank the tile continues to burn and is left on the board.

4. The fire may not be put out.

5. Forest fire tiles are impassable to all unit types except fliers.

Personnally I don't understand why forest should be treated as impassable terrain for troop units.

I beleive it should be seen as some equivalent to tank traps. Troops can move in and out normally. Tanks can't move through it and block line of sight to everyone exept flyers.

Forest should occupy many tiles at once, a little bit like buildings but with an irregular shape.

You gain soft cover when you're in the forest and can shoot or be shot at only when on the edge of a forest tile (building rules). A unit inside a forest should get a limited LOS like 1 or 2 spaces away. So two units inside the same forest can shoot at each other but only within a certain range.

The idea of setting the forest ablaze is nice. It could be used to rout troops off a forest or simply destroying it.

So what do you say?

From the "teaser summary" of Operation Icarus it appears they will be including cover rules for trees, so I guess we will be getting official rules for trees soon enough. However these will be transferable to actual "forests" is yet to be seen.

Fenton said:

From the "teaser summary" of Operation Icarus it appears they will be including cover rules for trees, so I guess we will be getting official rules for trees soon enough. However these will be transferable to actual "forests" is yet to be seen.

Correct. It has been released, available as PDF from FFG support for the game. They also explicitly state that it's a single tree and not a forest…