Can we make all talent trees have the same connections?

By lupex, in Talents and Specialization Trees

I have been thinking that its difficult to see the logic behind how talents are linkled within a tree, and that on some trees it takes 5 steps to get to dedication but on others it takes more steps.

I would like to propose that all talent trees are built with the same interconnected grid structue. This would increase a players options and wouldn't railroad players into taking unnecessary talents because they lead to the all important dedication talent.

Do you think this is feasable?

lupex said:

I have been thinking that its difficult to see the logic behind how talents are linkled within a tree, and that on some trees it takes 5 steps to get to dedication but on others it takes more steps.

I would like to propose that all talent trees are built with the same interconnected grid structue. This would increase a players options and wouldn't railroad players into taking unnecessary talents because they lead to the all important dedication talent.

3WhiteFox3 said:

lupex said:

I like the idea here, it's really frustrating to have some great trees that go straight down to dedicated while others take more navigating to get down. I'm not sure how feasible this is, however.

I think the bigger issue at hand is making the system work in a way so that Dedication isn't seen as the all-important thing to rig the system to pick up over and over again.

If all a talent tree is, in effect, is something on the character's sheet that exists as a means to get Dedicated without caring about the other abilities, then something is seriously broken about how character development works overall.

Rikoshi said:

3WhiteFox3 said:

lupex said:

I like the idea here, it's really frustrating to have some great trees that go straight down to dedicated while others take more navigating to get down. I'm not sure how feasible this is, however.

I think the bigger issue at hand is making the system work in a way so that Dedication isn't seen as the all-important thing to rig the system to pick up over and over again.

If all a talent tree is, in effect, is something on the character's sheet that exists as a means to get Dedicated without caring about the other abilities, then something is seriously broken about how character development works overall.

That's partially true, honestly, I'd rather see the rest of the talents made more reasonable for where they are placed (ex: the survivalist gets grit at 25 points and toughened at 20; these talents are typically seen somewhere in the 5-10 point mark, and IMO they aren't worth such a high cost.) But then again, there are trees like the Fringer's tree which is extremely hard to navigate around (and get your head around) without much payoff.

Thats very true but without overhauling the whole talent system (see other thread) I think making it easier to navigate the grid will at least help to balance trees a bit and remove some of the railroading of the current trees?