Trust me, i'm an Engineseer, or maybe new - "Pokemon trainer" Archetype (or just Deamon pokeballs thread)

By Herr-Ethic, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Ok, so we are discussing it on 4chan, and i want to know your, and the devs opinion.

I can summon and bind a deamon to any weapon. Destroyed deamon weapon releses an angry deamon. That's in the book.

So why not play Pokemon?

So. Can I bind Deamons into Granades and use them as pokeballs? Skulltaker, Herald of Khorne I chose you? Drop a granade with a bound Greater deamon of Nurgle and run using a jump pack?

Or even better. Can I bind Deamons into any weapon - improvised weapon - can i bind a deamon into a glass bottle or a fancy oil lamp? Like Alladin's lamp for example? You could teoreticly use those items as an improvised weapons…

Or maybu further - Bind Deamons into Ammunition - For ex Bolter rounds? One burst and summon a horde of Bloodletters?

Trust me, i'm an Engineseer. Prove me I'm Wrong.

Ah yes, I've seen the discussion there. Interestzing proposal, and could even work. Considering how slim are the chances of binding a daemon to a simple grenade, and yoU'd have to hand-craft one for this express purpose to stand a realistic chance of binding a daemon to it, I'd say it may be feasible.

@Herr-ethic

The first problem with that idea is the amount of preparation it takes. Creating a daemon-weapon is a large ritual with at least eight sacrifices of willing chaos disciples and plenty of stuff that can go wrong. Using those things to free the daemons within is… well, like a fragment grenade made of diamonds. Diamonds that primarily intend to maim and kill the one who bound them, which would be the second problem.

I can see using a Daemon Grenade as a last resort, for use in a similar context as the Psyk-Out Grenades. Plus, that look of terror would be fantastic. I am definitely going to do this in my next game.

I was thinking about using the 'ghost trap' (with deamon inside) from ToF as a nice farewell gift for someone who has got on my neves, but grenades? Kinda overkill but must be vey fun :)

I'm thinking of the revolver bullets in one of the Ravenor books which contained daemons. I like the idea of a daemon grenade as a last resort, because the daemon will want vengeance on its jailer. Of course, the jailers enemies will likely start shooting it first…

While possible, I doubt such would be very practical or worth the effort, no to mention the risks. But, if you really want to go for something like that, why not think big and bind a bunch of demons in ship ammunition for use in orbital bombardment. Negates the risk of the freed demons instantly going after their jailors at least, if the added hilarity isn't enough.

In some of the later Ravenor books one of the antagonists uses bullets which release some kind of minor burgle daemon when they hit something. They were really rare, and the person only really used them as a last chance getaway.

I'm trying to figure out what the best way to play this would be. The way I see it, you've actually got two routes:

The first route is that proposed by the OP, in which you actually bind daemons into grenades. This route is unreliable at best (daemons only manifest from a broken daemon weapon if you roll a result on the Perils table that results in a daemonic manifestation) and requires a significant investment of experience to pull off reliably (you need to invest heavily into Forbidden Lore: Warp or Daemonology (for binding the daemon), Tech-Use (to craft the grenades), and Intelligence (parent skill to both). Additionally, you need to spend a great deal of time building even one grenade, and once the grenade is gone, it's gone. A Heretek or a Q'Sal Magister would probably be the best route here.

The second route I can see is to actually take various Minion of Chaos talents and work with your GM to 'store' the daemons in various items about your person. One existing item in 40k fluff that would work well is a Necron Tesseract Labyrinth, although those would likely be of Near-Unique/Unique availability (depending on your GM). There's also the Castirian Soul Cage in Tome of Fate (though that requires an Opposed Willpower Test every hour). This requires a much smaller expenditure of exp (2000 for 4 Minions as opposed to over 4000 invested in Intelligence, Forbidden Lore and Tech-Use). It has the added benefit of your daemon not being immediately determined to kill you, and you don't need to spend weeks crafting replacement receptacles. An Apostate or Champion would likely be the best choice for this route for those juicy leadership talents that boost Loyalty.

In my opinion, the second route is much easier to pull off, but it does require some flexibility from your GM.

I like the Idea of a player that has a device that allows a demon that has forged a bond with the user to temporarily manifest or project itself onto the material plane through. This would allow a user to bind a demon or forge a pact with it of mutual benefit. The deamon, in exchange for service gets regular access to the material plane. This would give you the "pokeball" effect.

I don't think anything like tthat is actually out there though so I would have my players go though the research and development phase. If they actually make it though the trial periods of badness happening to get it developed it could make for. It could be interesting.