Organized Play

By Sarone, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

What does every one think of organized play for the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire setting?

Organized …WHAT?!

do you mean something akin to a "Living" or Society game like the old Greyhawk or Paizo's Pathfinder society?

I think you need to elaborate your question…

The Madman said:

Organized …WHAT?!

do you mean something akin to a "Living" or Society game like the old Greyhawk or Paizo's Pathfinder society?

I think you need to elaborate your question…

*blink**blink*

Is there any other kind?

Yes, a living campaing type deal or at least a way to find games without having to worry about the start up paperwork.

I enjoy some organized play. I think it would be easy to implement with Star Wars, and since Star Wars is so recognizeable it would be easy to lure in new players, possibly even people that are new to RPGs in general. This system seems to be a bit more Theatre of the Mind than say Pathfinder, so the modules would probably have to be a bit more loose and allow the GM some freedom. Which I think could be a good thing.

I almost wouldn't mind seeing an "Encounters" style environment, at least to help introduce new players.

WotC would send out kits each month or so to the Gaming Stores, and Gaming Clubs, so that they could run the sessions once a week and report the results on their tracker. While the tracker isn't necessary the idea of a weekly "episodic" game with pregen characters and the sole intent to "teach" players could be a good idea. Even if only temporary.

As for the Living environment, that too could be interesting - but the thing we have to remember is that the Star Wars Universe, while very diverse and open ended, has a lot we cannot affect or change. So with the proper failsafe in place, and guidelines, then maybe it can be done.

My FLGS runs encounters and while it’s interesting, I’d rather FFG go the route of simply rewarding stores for having organized play. WotC allows stores that have a certain amount of games played to be considered “premiere” stores and get the benefit of having games available prior to street date. This is a major boon for any local FLGS. Also, occasional promotional materials and freebies definitely add to the appeal.

That being said, a living campaign might be cool. : )

I'm ALL FOR an OP option
However

after playing 2 sessions.. I really don't see it being a "Successful" prospect

there seems to be so much more emphasis on "Role" playing rather than "ROLL" playing
FFG would have to make some serious limits in gameplay scenario and get Creative with OP type rewards

I think at this point- I'd MUCH rather FFG foccus on working with the BETA and have it Complete, functioning and 'ironclad'; BEFORE they try adding in OP mission objectives and Min max RPG'ers who tent to spoil games for the repeat or casual player…