Can you use "Dutch" to extend the range of a target lock?

By El_Tonio, in X-Wing Rules Questions

For example, if Dutch acquires a target lock on an enemy ship while he/Dutch is within 2 of a friendly ship, can that ship acquire a target lock regardless of range? So, if the friendly ship is on one side of Dutch and the enemy ship is on the other side of Dutch, the friendly ship could potentially acquire a lock on a ship that is 5 away? Or, does the friendly ship also have to be within 3 of the ship Dutch targets (so within 2 of Dutch, and within 3 of the imperial ship)?

Without consulting the rulebook, I would hesitantly say that you could do this, simply because it would make sense thematically. Generally it's the on-board computers and/or astromechs that would handle the data and communicate it to allies. And there's no reason he wouldn't be able to to transmit the targeting data he has to someone who would otherwise be out of range. However, I have a feeling that when I read the rule in a minute it will not work this way. If I remember it correctly, it gives friendlies an opportunity to acquire a target lock, which would mean they acquire it by their own means, which would mean it suffers the usual limitations. So basically I think it should work like you say, but I highly doubt it does.

It does say "the chosen ship may immediately acquire a target lock." So, you raise a good point and this may mean he must also be within 3 of the ship he is locking on to. Curious to know if this was meant to be different since it doesn't specify the other ship must be in target lock range.

What do others think?

Dutch allows a friendly ship to "acquire a target lock". This friendly ship acquires the target lock as he normally would. What makes you think that the rules for acquiring a target lock change because the ability is given to him from another ship?

Roy

drkjedi35 said:

Dutch allows a friendly ship to "acquire a target lock". This friendly ship acquires the target lock as he normally would. What makes you think that the rules for acquiring a target lock change because the ability is given to him from another ship?

Roy

Actually, upon rereading the card after seeing your message, I think I misinterpreted it. I thought they got to acquire a target lock on the same ship, but I now see I misread that. So, scratch this question. (Sorry about that.)

El_Tonio said:

drkjedi35 said:

Roy

Actually, upon rereading the card after seeing your message, I think I misinterpreted it. I thought they got to acquire a target lock on the same ship, but I now see I misread that. So, scratch this question. (Sorry about that.)

Yeah, that's what I originally thought when they announced Dutch during the summer, but I was pleased to find that the friendly can lock onto anyone in range 3 of himself.