Green maneuver effect on ship overlap

By magadizer, in X-Wing Rules Questions

If a player executes a Green move in order to remove a stress or to activate R2-D2's effect, but the end of their action ends up with an overlap, as in the example on page 17, do they still get to take the benefit of the green maneuver, even though they did not complete the move entirely?

Yes, the green maneuver still removes a stress or triggers any effect that happens off a green maneuver. The only penalty is that the ship loses its action, or triggers effects tied to overlapping ships.

I was in the middle of the game when I posted this, so I was trying to find out a page in the rules that specifically stated this. I didn't see a ruling that spelled it out. Does it say that in the rules, or are you just assuming that if it doesn't specifically forbid using the green effect then it should be permitted?

It says to remove stress when executing a green move, it doesn't say not to when overlapping, nor does it say not to remove it in the overlap section, simply that you can't target each other or perform actions

Further more in the Koiogran example in the overlapping it says that the straight you have to do instead is of the same color as the Koiogran, so you'd still take a stress token

edit: Oh and FFG has gone to great lengths to spell out things you can't do in this game such as looking at your opponents movement dials (which should seem obvious) so it would of been said if you didn't remove it.

Agreed… they don't need to spell out the positives when they outline the negatives…. they don't need to say everything thast you can still do when they outline the things you can no longer do, if that makes sense to you….

… But then, miniature gamers seem to always read rulebooks in ridiculously wacky ways and seem to want 400 page airtight legal documents with 39 subsections to every rule so that your opponents' law team doesn't find a loop hole to beat you with… it makes me sad every time I meet a rules lawyer… then I laugh and play someone else, lol. gui%C3%B1o.gif

You should never have to show people some super airtight page reference to prove to them a rule that should be fairly obvious by the overall wording of the rulebook in question….

Strombole said:

Agreed… they don't need to spell out the positives when they outline the negatives…. they don't need to say everything thast you can still do when they outline the things you can no longer do, if that makes sense to you….

… But then, miniature gamers seem to always read rulebooks in ridiculously wacky ways and seem to want 400 page airtight legal documents with 39 subsections to every rule so that your opponents' law team doesn't find a loop hole to beat you with… it makes me sad every time I meet a rules lawyer… then I laugh and play someone else, lol. gui%C3%B1o.gif

You should never have to show people some super airtight page reference to prove to them a rule that should be fairly obvious by the overall wording of the rulebook in question….

They're the same guys that will tell you that your shot from 72" away missed because you are 1.2mm short of the target. My house rule when measuring ranges is if you are within a die width (a 10mm one, not a giant novelty thing) then you are in range. I'm a nice opponent, but I despise cheats and rules lawyers and infinite loopers and gloaters/sulkers and those guys who power play as though every game is a tournament final and the prize is to be ruler of the universe. It's a game, get over yourself and have fun.

You can have the thread back now.

Nalydd said:

Strombole said:

tell you that your shot from 72" away missed because you are 1.2mm short of the target. My house rule when measuring ranges is if you are within a die width (a 10mm one, not a giant novelty thing) then you are in range. I'm a nice opponent, but I despise cheats and rules lawyers and infinite loopers and gloaters/sulkers and those guys who power play as though every game is a tournament final and the prize is to be ruler of the universe. It's a game, get over yourself and have fun.

You can have the thread back now.

So basically all you have done then is to add 10mm to all the ranges, can't see the point in that.

I essentially agree with the points being made here. I'm not a "miniatures gamer" -- I like board games and such but only play games in my home. My point in asking this was primarily because I had already made several mistakes of a similar kind when playing the first few games.

I am not trying to create rules unnecessarily, but only avoid breaking them. In my opinion, the rules book is good and fairly clear, but could use a little more redundancy on some of the more obscure aspects of the rules in order to avoid confusion. Sometimes a rule is found in a different section of the book than you would expect, and only there. So I wanted to ask if I missed something.

Thanks!

magadizer said:

I essentially agree with the points being made here. I'm not a "miniatures gamer" -- I like board games and such but only play games in my home. My point in asking this was primarily because I had already made several mistakes of a similar kind when playing the first few games.

I am not trying to create rules unnecessarily, but only avoid breaking them. In my opinion, the rules book is good and fairly clear, but could use a little more redundancy on some of the more obscure aspects of the rules in order to avoid confusion. Sometimes a rule is found in a different section of the book than you would expect, and only there. So I wanted to ask if I missed something.

Thanks!

LoL you are very correct, when we first sat down and read the rulebook we got annoyed at how often they referred you to page 16 or 17 instead of just explaining it in the section

One thing we found that helped us is on page 17, the last paragraph under the Overlapping Ships section.

Important: If the active ship is executing a [u-turn symbol] maneuver that causes it to overlap another ship, instead treat its maneuver as a [straight symbol] maneuver with the same speed and color revealed on the dial.

The important aspect was the color remains the same when you overlap.

Yeah, I think that is precedent for the green maneuver remaining green too, even if it is not completed due to a collision.

Collision on a U-turn sucks. That happened to my son today in a game. You get the stress, and you are still not facing the way you wanted to!