Heresy

By Mike, in StarCraft

What do you guys think about a new race for StarCraft featured in an expansion? Is this even feasible?

Race?! maybe faction...race not likely ...Starcraft was about these 3 guys...and the PC game seems to keep it this way even now in starcraft 2

I doubt it, Besides I can't even figure out who the extra race could be..... I am worried that Starcraft 2 (the computer game) may pull a Scrin on us though and bring in the creators of the Protoss and Zerg as a faction of a sorts.

They will add new factions for sure. What do you think: Earth (I forgot what was their name) and Zeratul. Who would the Zerg be?

BLASPHEMY!! i would only get new factions, besides, zerg is numbers and speed, protoss power, and terran in between, what will the ne race represent?

Unless there is a new race in StarCraft II: the PC game, I don't think that they will ever add a new race to StarCraft: the Boardgame.

Furthermore, I don't think it would be very popular if they did.

The question is rather: why would they bring in one more race? The trio plays so well, a fourth would only spoil it.

Xandria said:

The question is rather: why would they bring in one more race? The trio plays so well, a fourth would only spoil it.

In the computer game there are good reasons not to have more races because it will be harder to balance in competive game play, but board games are a more relaxed affair and I would welcome more flavour to the game.

New Races? New Factions?

I thought Brood War is mainly about hero units and scenarios.

godfeather said:

Xandria said:

In the computer game there are good reasons not to have more races because it will be harder to balance in competive game play, but board games are a more relaxed affair and I would welcome more flavour to the game.

This isn't something that FFG can arbitrarily decide. They are borrowing the StarCraft universe from Blizzard Entertainment.

If you add new races, you will be basically erasing what flavor there is to the game; that is, the basic story elements of the PC game. This game isn't supposed to be a game about a random Science Fiction universe that FFG happened to dream up, like Twilight Imperium is. It is based on a universe that has existed for years, and to change that universe for no reason other than having a few extra races in a derivative of the original setting is, imo, not something that is going to happen.

The board game and the PC game are not equal. The PC game takes precedance. FFG isn't going to include anything in the StarCraft universe that wasn't first included by Blizzard.

Not that I'm saying that it would be a bad thing, I'm just saying that it isn't going to happen.

Joram said:

This isn't something that FFG can arbitrarily decide. They are borrowing the StarCraft universe from Blizzard Entertainment.

If you add new races, you will be basically erasing what flavor there is to the game; that is, the basic story elements of the PC game. This game isn't supposed to be a game about a random Science Fiction universe that FFG happened to dream up, like Twilight Imperium is. It is based on a universe that has existed for years, and to change that universe for no reason other than having a few extra races in a derivative of the original setting is, imo, not something that is going to happen.

The board game and the PC game are not equal. The PC game takes precedance. FFG isn't going to include anything in the StarCraft universe that wasn't first included by Blizzard.

Not that I'm saying that it would be a bad thing, I'm just saying that it isn't going to happen.

Of course not, but like StarWars it has an extended universe. In the case of both StarCraft and StarWars it consists of book. I haven't read neither of them (simply because I am not that interested in that kind of litterature), but there are probably things that can be picked up to add more flavour to the game. Every thing is possible.

There are at least 2 races from the Starcraft universe which are missing: The Xel'naga (creators of The Protoss & Zerg) and Protoss/Zerg Hybrids

For further races see http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Races (I don't know any of the other races, but apparently there are some).

However, these races are quite mysterious, and I doubt Blizzard would allow to spoil too much about them before Starcraft 2 is released. ;)

As mentioned, the only way FFG would make new races is if Blizzard officially makes them first. Blizzard probably wouldn't allow FFG to make new races, even if they wanted to; I'm sure the license is very specific as to what FFG can and can't do.

As for the Xel'Naga, my impression was that the Zerg annihilated them back when the Overmind first gained sentience. But maybe I missed something (I haven't played Brood Wars all the way through).

Just so. New races seem pretty bull to me, new factions would be nice. And please, please, please, work over that Goliaths, Firebats, Siege tanks, Guardians, Carriers and Cruisers!

I would rather see more factions than races. I wish UED would come up! happy.gif

What is so different between Warcraft ans Starcraft? They introduced more races into the Warcraft Universe, so why not do the same to Starcraft. Don't really see the big difference here.

Yeah, that's a new faction and cool! New races would be crap.