tournament packs

By wormiespice, in X-Wing Organized Play

Anyone know it these will contain playmats , otherwise running a tournament will be a logistical nightmare and i cannot afford to make 10 playmat or play areas

for a tournament

How will the inclusion of play mats in the game night kits create the room you need to run a tournament or reduce the logistical nightmare? Believe you can do it. I doubt that FFG is going to hand out tournament sized foam, nonslip mats. I hope I am wrong about that.

As long as you've already got the 36x36inch play space available(the most nightmarish part of your nightmare), you can tack on some black felt. It's generally pretty cheap. IF you can afford it, maybe search out some billiards table quality felt. Sure, you don't have any stars, but the material increases friction and decreases model slip. OR if you can afford it, look for thin rubber, similar to what is used in fabric cutting boards, floor mats are too thick. Test how the models feel. If you can afford it, but can't find it in black, spray paint. You can then add stars. I don't know if you're running tournaments out of a store or among friends, but reducing model slip is good, regardless. It should reduce arguments about fudged movement..unless one of your friends or fellow players is a cheater..in which case, I think Hammurabi's Code addresses the issue.

Lastly, and in case it hasn't crossed your mind, the standard card table size is 34x34. It's not ideal for size purposes, but if your players are ok with it, then it may be a good option. They're super easy to borrow from people. And, Cosco(yes, that's Cosco) manufactures an all black one ,if it turns out to be cost effective for you. The surface isn't optimal, but it's better than a finished table top. Target might still carry the brand. The internet may carry the brand for cheaper.

I've run few tournaments. I know they can be daunting. Don't be discouraged. If your players are friends. they'll appreciate your effort, and if your players are customers, well, I don't run a business, but may your efforts be profitable…and get 'em hooked before wave two comes out.

Edit: What kind of tables are you already using?

i will be running tournaments in my local game shop and they have rooms to play and 20 tables but how can i mark the tables out unless players bring their own mats or ffg send some folded paper mats

I'd either tape off sections of the tables (if allowed) to show the play area. It's what our Warmachine group did to show the right table size using Warhammer tables.

It's a miniature game at heart, so I doubt it will be getting any playmats released. Some miniature wargamers are rather averse to the idea of having their games use the same kinds of accessories as Magic and Yu-gi-oh.

I don't have an issue using one for X-Wing if it's the most convenient method available, but I don't even use playmats for the card games I do play.

wormiespice said:

i will be running tournaments in my local game shop and they have rooms to play and 20 tables but how can i mark the tables out unless players bring their own mats or ffg send some folded paper mats

Well, as far as I've seen, FFG doesn't have sanctioned tournaments for X-wing, they don't have tournament exclusive ships (like a custom Red 5 Luke X - wing [just thinking about it now seems awesome though lol]) And for them to do that RIGHT after the game came out would be ridiculous, there's no way they would get the player support for every location.

Second of all, why SHOULD they send you free play mats for their game? Do you have any idea how much money FFG would lose giving away thousands of mats to every game shop, and every player that said "Hey I'm gonna run an X-wing tournament, I'm gonna need some free mats" No, it doesn't work like that, or at least I don't think it does, if I'm mistaken I probably look like an idiot, but I haven't seen anything about FFG sanctioned X-wing tournaments. Until I do, there's absolutely no reason for them to send you your playmats, and even if there WERE sanctioned tournaments, they STILL Shouldn't send the playmats, because it would probably be a huge cut in their profits, they would only carry them at regionals for convience purposes, if this game even goes that far tournament wise lol

It's not that hard to make your playmats out of some plywood and paint, or out of felt or another crafting material. Just make them yourself, and mark off a section of your store.

If the table width is acceptable for you guys to use, then I stand by felt. It's cheap and easy to roll up when you're done. The tables are probably long enough for you to get at least two games per table.

Since there are no current sanctioned tournaments, rankings, etc. you can probably get away with taking a little license with the size of the play area. Just be sure to print out the parameters so everyone playing is aware.

Harleequin said:

wormiespice said:

Well, as far as I've seen, FFG doesn't have sanctioned tournaments for X-wing, they don't have tournament exclusive ships (like a custom Red 5 Luke X - wing [just thinking about it now seems awesome though lol]) And for them to do that RIGHT after the game came out would be ridiculous, there's no way they would get the player support for every location.

Second of all, why SHOULD they send you free play mats for their game? Do you have any idea how much money FFG would lose giving away thousands of mats to every game shop, and every player that said "Hey I'm gonna run an X-wing tournament, I'm gonna need some free mats" No, it doesn't work like that, or at least I don't think it does, if I'm mistaken I probably look like an idiot, but I haven't seen anything about FFG sanctioned X-wing tournaments. Until I do, there's absolutely no reason for them to send you your playmats, and even if there WERE sanctioned tournaments, they STILL Shouldn't send the playmats, because it would probably be a huge cut in their profits, they would only carry them at regionals for convience purposes, if this game even goes that far tournament wise lol

It's not that hard to make your playmats out of some plywood and paint, or out of felt or another crafting material. Just make them yourself, and mark off a section of your store.

FFG is planning for sanctioned tournaments. In fact their tournament rules were published a few weeks before the game was released. You can find it here. www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp

And the 2012 National Championship will be held at the Fantasy Flight Games World Championship Weekend in Minn in November. You can find the info for that here. www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp

They ARE working on an Organized Play program. Your LGS will be able to purchase Organized Play kits from FFG when the become available for $17 each which will provide some type of prize support (I don't know exactly what that will be) for the players. I doubt it will be play mats. The first Organized Play tournament was held at GenCon in August. The information for that can be found here. www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

Roy

i dont want fely or rubber mats , just a fold out paper outs to define gaming area

wormiespice said:

i dont want fely or rubber mats , just a fold out paper outs to define gaming area

I think you'll find that the figures move around a lot on regular paper. And god forbid someone accidentally knock into the table. I know that felt or rubber costs more and takes up more space, but in this game it is important to keep your ships where they are supposed to be. Even a shift of 1mm can be the difference between range 1 and range 2 or being in or out of a firing arc.

Roy

Harleequin said:

wormiespice said:

There are actually several games that give out high quality playmats for Organized Play for free to retailers and tournament organizers

The cheapest/easiest way to define the play area is with tape and a tape measure. A playmat of some kind does increase the play experience tremendously though. I would suggest you tape off enough play areas as you think you would need, and if you happen to need more it can be done quickly. If you have enough players to have a tournament that can field 100 pt squads, very likely at least some of them will have appropriate sized mats/cloths that they can use.

If you are running a full on X-Wing tournament playmats should be among the least of your concerns. You will need a judge to be running around making calls due to the constant slippage disputes and even if he's not doing much their presence and ability to make a binding call will be necessary.

A 3x3 Felt mat only costs $4 at Micheals. Yes I know 10 mats times 4 equals $40 and some change.

The bigger question is, how many more times are you going to be doing tournaments? If it is a one time thing, then yes taping out an area would be more cost effective. A simple black felt mat will take a minute to lay out and be done with it. Taping up a nice and straight 3x3 area 10 times will take some time.

If you are looking for options or suggestions.

Charge $2 to enter the tournament, this will cover the cost of the mats. Granted the big issue here is, possibly charging for an event after it was announced.

Option 2, talk to the store where this tournament is being held. Find out if they mind taping up there tables. See if they would be willing to donate $40 to the event so 3x3 mats would be available and then kept at the store.

wormiespice said:

Duct tape, it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Airborne Engineer said:

wormiespice said:

Duct tape, it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

+1