planning

By lsuedd2, in X-Wing Rules Questions

in the planning phase, do we have to choose our movement all at once and place them face down? cant he player who moves last change his move after he sees the others?

LSUedd said:

in the planning phase, do we have to choose our movement all at once and place them face down? cant he player who moves last change his move after he sees the others?

It's simultaneous choice of maneuvers and placement of the dials face down. You can't change it once the dials are revealed and you've seen what others have done. This aspect, though possibly initially frustrating, is a big part of what gives X-Wing its strategic depth.

EDIT: I should add that you may wonder then why you want a high-skilled pilot. The answer is that although you can't choose your movement after seeing what others have done, you can choose your action after seeing what everyone else has done. This is powerful.

LSUedd said:

No. Once both players have declared that they both are finished placing the maneuver dials by the coresponding ships -- "Done."; "Finished.", you cannot touch the dials until that ship's movement is revealed.

not sure if anyone has answered this yet or not i noticed in the rules you can choose to pass in the activation phase when choosing an action so i was wondering do u have to move ur ship or can u stay in place i am assuming no since there is no option on the dial for staying still. but most minis games give u a choice whether to move or not. urrent has rule is u have to make a movement

You cannot stay still. Top paragraph, page 6, 'player MUST assign a dial to each ship'

You can pass on an ACTION, not on the MANEUVER prior to the action in the activation phase.

For example, if the ships on the board are all out of range of each other, there is no point in assigning any action (except barrel roll, which x-wings cannot do without the expert maneuver card).