A bit of Aid for a Conversion … to prove a point.

By The Russian, in Deathwatch House Rules

Alright, first off, I am an experienced GM. Long before DW, and I got DW very soon after it debuted a couple years back. So appropriate advice it welcome but not urgent. Lol :D

Main point is that I want to send a Kill-team to kill some Covenant (story rationalizations aside, though suggestions are welcome). And I need some help with vehicles, weapons, and xenos stats. They won't be running into any Spartans or humans, really (…probably). Just cleaning up some new xenos.

I have a few ideas, very raw ideas at that. Could use some help with refining what I have and getting some new ideas to make it functional.

What I've got (Random scattered ideas):

• Orks seem to be a good basis for Brutes
  • Termagaunts seem like a good base for Grunts
  • Gargoyles seem like a good basis good Drones
  • The energy sword/daggers could just have the "power field" quality
  • Gravity hammer seems to be the analog of the Thunder Hammer
  • Covenant plasma weapons could follow Eldar/Tau patters of power? Or even Imperial but safer and without maximal mode? (Going by the books.)
  • Needlers like Needle weapons or Shuriken weapons?
  • I'm not really coming up with Vehicle stats… :/ Will probably use Tau/Elder for that.

I am not really sure how to mold the Elites (better than humans in almost every way… but likely outdone by Astartes). Any help would be great!

Your bad guy choices seem spot-on (Orks, Nids) and I would just go with a lot of Tau weapons. Elites might work well as powerful Eldar; speed, good armour, power weapons…

Plushy said:

Your bad guy choices seem spot-on (Orks, Nids) and I would just go with a lot of Tau weapons. Elites might work well as powerful Eldar; speed, good armour, power weapons…

I went with Pathfinders for Jackals and probably Kroot for the Skirmishers, Orks with Unnaturals (S and T x2) for better or worse, as Brutes were pretty beefy. Elites, yeah, Avengers should work well as a base, beefing up S and T a bit. And Tau weapons as a base for a lot, when I get further up I'll post the document for further viewing and editing suggestions.

As for shields, as these xenos make a lot of use of them, I went with a high rating that subtracts damage for the next hit with a regen of 10+ per round of not being damaged. How does that sound, it makes Elites and even Jackals a good deal more dangerous.

The Russian said:

• I'm not really coming up with Vehicle stats… :/ Will probably use Tau/Elder for that.

Should read:

• I'm not really *good at* coming up with vehicle stats…

Also: I have a public Google Drive Doc link to view what I have so far.

docs.google.com/document/d/1fhrUHOMXuT1tZITKKE7XZul_u3DJY1lzt2y085WyHDM/edit

The rules for the Unngoy explosions don't make sense to me. Any time you score a wound, you roll a test at 20 to see if they explode? Also, I don't believe Small is a size. You may be thinking of 'Weedy.'

Plasma Pistols will one- or two-shot Guardsmen. Their rule should be Maximal, not Charge. Carbines and Needle Rifles are weaker than them for some reason?

Do you want Elites to be so tough to hit? They have 8 TB and 6 AP already; that Shield is going to take a long time to fall, and will regen very quickly.

Brutes will die quickly. 8 TB and 2 AP without an energy shield?

The Brute Shot is weak as hell. It is dealing Frag Grenade damage. Plasma Rifles are basically worse than Plasma Pistols in every way?

Your stats are kind of all over the place.

Indeed. Suggestions? Until then I'll do my best to fix it.

See why I asked for help? gui%C3%B1o.gif

The Russian said:

Indeed. Suggestions? Until then I'll do my best to fix it.

See why I asked for help? gui%C3%B1o.gif

I've got some stuff in the works (it doesn't take me long to write NPCs - as in, 10-30 minutes depending on complexity and amount of research needed) that I'll post up during next week (no time to finish it tomorrow, as I'll be at Games Day). I've got Elites (four kinds - Minor, Major, Ultra and Zealot) and Brutes (Minor, Captains and Chieftains) written up so far, with Grunts, Jackals, Drones and Hunters to go, and then a few vehicles (I've got experience writing them, having put together an assortment of Ork and Eldar vehicles in my spare time).

As an example:

Sangheili Minor – Elite Trooper (Elite)
WS 51
BS 45
S 48 (8)
T 45 (4)
Ag 45 (8)
Int 45 (4)
Per 43 (4)
WP 54 (5)
Fel 38 (3)

Movement: 5/10/15/30; Wounds: 25

Skills: Awareness (Per), Command (Fel), Common Lore (Covenant) (Int), Dodge (Ag), Drive (Skimmer) (Ag), Intimidate (S), Pilot (Flyer) (Ag), Speak Language (Covenant) (Int), Tactics (Assault Tactics) (Int)

Talents: Ambidextrous, Elite Weapon Proficiency, Frenzy, Hipshooting, Two-Weapon Wielder (Ballistic), Unarmed Warrior

Traits: Size (Hulking), Unnatural Agility (x2), Unnatural Strength (x2)
Wounded Honour: A Heavily Injured Elite will, as a free action on its next turn, enter a Frenzied state.

Armour: Minor Battle Armour (Head 7, Arms 7 Body 8, Legs 7; Protection 30, Overload 01-05)

Weapons: Unarmed (1d10+5 I, Primitive), plus either one of:
• One or Two Covenant Plasma Rifles (60m; S/3/5; 1d10+10 E; Pen 5; Clip 100; Volatile, may add Storm, but gains Recharge)
• Covenant Carbine (120m; S/2/–; 1d10+6 I; Pen 4; Clip 18; Rld Full; Reliable, Toxic)

Very nice, will definitely incorporate this (…and by incorporate, I mean just replace and give credit!). And yeah, I've used both of the Ork and Eldar rules. Great stuff.