Revised Edition of Runewars!

By Budgernaut, in Runewars

I was so excited when I saw the announcement , but as I read, I became very disappointed. I don't like the idea of having cardstock instead of punchboard for the faction sheets. I don't like that they've removed the mountains. I don't like that some of the tiles have to be assembled separately. In short: I think I'll have to find an older version of the game instead of looking forward to the printing of the revised edition.

As someone that had to buy Runewars THREE times this year before getting a complete game (First seller told me it was unavailable after I bought it, second seller sent me a box missing 80+ pieces!, the third one was a shrink-wrap new game), I think a reprint is definitively a nice idea, even if the componant are not as "spectacular" as with the original.

I love this game and continue support/reprint is a great news.

The best news for me, a Runewars 1st edition owner (lol that sounds weird), is the Revised rules! Can't wait to see what they did to the rules and mechanics of the game.

Same here,

I love my Rune wars and the new rules are simply going to be awesome!

Personally im going to try and get a harde copy of the Rules as well.

Not happy with this. Last year they revised the Dark Pharoh expansion for Arkham Horror. How many times they going to to revise there products? I also noticed this new version does not have 3D mountains.

Seems to me FFG is looking to cut corners and give gamers less value.

……or save money on cost so that they don't have to charge a high price, to us, just to make a profit.

I think this is great (considering that I just spent $150 trying to get the first edition on Amazon). Of course, I wish there was a heads up that this was going to happen. I could have saved myself the trouble. The same thing happened to me with the release of the second edition of Descent: Journeys in the Dark. I had just gotten the first edition last year (having just saved up enough money to purchase it and having only learned about Fantasy Flights Games in 2009 from a friend) only to find out that all the expansions were obsolete and the new edition was on its way. Thankfully, they released a conversion kit so that all the old monsters and characters could be used, but I still wish I could have known in advance. My concern now is whether or not there will be any more expansions and whether or not these expansions will include mountains being that the base game already had the 3D mountains. I realize that the mountains aren't necessary for playing the game, but I'm the sort of person that prefers consistency. Then again, the base game did come with a lot of those mountains, and it's not like they all necessarily get used up in play.

I'm also curious as to what they do with the rules. I thought the rules were fine as is. Are there some problems that come up that I'm not aware of?

I think it's a well expected update. As far as the board changes… well, the 3D mountains were stupid. Not worth paying the extra $ for. So I don't mind that change. The 'interlocking' hexes… NICE! SO many times pieces would shift about messing things up. Makes for a much more solid 'game-board' feel if you ask me. And the rules update. Yeah, that's also a plus, as with ALL games. It's good to see the game is still alive with an update like this.

I do feel FFG has probs though with putting things out in a proper time. They have always had probs with this. Sad really.

Anyway… I can't wait, and all the changes they mention I had expected long ago. I am just happy the game still has value to FFG. I would hate to see this game slowly fade away.

Interesting. I wonder what the rules changes will be. The component changes sound totally reasonable to me. That is a lot of stuf. It sounds like the only interlocking bits are the ones too long for the small box, no?

If people are looking for an O riginal Edition, call Pandemonium games in Cambridge, ma. They have one at least.

KevinBakon said:

It sounds like the only interlocking bits are the ones too long for the small box, no?

That was my impression as well. I didn't think that all the pieces will interlock, just the extra long ones.

EDIT: And upon further reflection, I suppose that $20 off the MSRP is worth losing the mountains and having the factions sheets be thinner. I could probably get used to it. My big question then is, will this revised edition work well with Banners of War, or will there be some component inconsistencies? I've only played the base game, not BoW, so I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Budgernaut said:

EDIT: And upon further reflection, I suppose that $20 off the MSRP is worth losing the mountains and having the factions sheets be thinner. I could probably get used to it. My big question then is, will this revised edition work well with Banners of War, or will there be some component inconsistencies? I've only played the base game, not BoW, so I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

The only component "inconsistency" I can think of is the faction sheet add-ons; in Banners of War, they are thick cardboard like in the base game, so with the new edition they will be a different consistency than the main sheets.

Heck, Banners of War would actually fit slightly BETTER with the new edition's lack of mountains, since BoW didn't have mountains either.

I sold my copy of the base game and Banners of War in April, having bought it last August (and October, respectively) and never having had enough time to actually sit down and work out how the hell this game works. If the rules are being slimlined as well as the box, maybe this is something I might look into getting back into. Terrinoth games were the games that got me into FFG products all those years ago, after all… And a slimline price is always to be welcomed!

I was shocked when I heard the news about a revised edition, but reading all the details, I’m at peace with FFG.
All component changes are downgrades (god, I hate those flimsy Civ sheets!), which makes my first edition some kind of “deluxe” edition.
New buyers shouldn’t feel screwed, either. They get an excellent game with playtested rules for a reduced MSRP.
Component compatibility with expansions wasn’t very consistent before. Banners of War had terrain with mountains printed on, but there were no 3D mountains included. I didn’t complain then, I won’t complain in the future.
This is the second coffin box game that FFG shrinks down to an almost regular size. I give them less than 12 months before they announce TI4..

If the small changes are what it takes to get this game back on the shelves at local gaming stores and to get more people playing it im ok with them. I also have the big coffin version and my wife and i just love this game . Yes the little extras like thick player boards and 3D mountains are nice but they are not what make this the great game that it is.

As I have read on other forums as well this reprint/revision should also be a good sign for us original owners that expansion(s) are in the works.

I have talked to two of my local game shops and they don't like the big coffin boxes so im sure they will carry the game a gain now that its smaller.

Lastly for us owner sof the original coffin version this says it ALL:

If I own the original Edition do i need to purchase the revised edition?

No. Both the original and revised edition of Runewars offer the same fundamental game experience. Component changes (described below) are purely cosmetic. As for rules updates, a free downloadable pdf will soon be made available on our support page that outlines the changes in detail. With it, owners of the original edition can have a revised edition experience without actually purchasing the revised edition.

That sound good to me. When ffg brings out a summary pdf with only the rule changes it would be even better. So I do not have to print out the hole book.

Can't wait to see the new rules. Like the game and I am happy that it will live on.

I have actually considered selling this game because no one will play it :( I was looking at prices and on Amazon and Ebay people are asking for over $1000 for the original version still sealed. I think I may try to sell my used version.

Maybe the rules changes are needed before new races can be added to the game, orcs and dwarves from the rune age card game expansion.

several rules, e.g. Breaking ties, are based on the exact four races that come in the base game.

i'd expect the revised edition to be followed up with a second expansion to make the game 6 players.

i hope that this game get more expansion,

nearly this and twilight imperium is the only game that our gaming group plays :)