Beginners Box!

By rassilon2, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

No Sam, there is no confusion. This thread is solely in response to the announcement of the beginner's box, not the core or any beta books.

But maybe to copy someone else's idea, the Core Rule Books for the One Ring, published earlier this year were in a Slipcase Cover, and tucked inside were the custom dice inside of a pullout plastic container.

Thanks for the clarification.

c8tiff said:

But maybe to copy someone else's idea, the Core Rule Books for the One Ring, published earlier this year were in a Slipcase Cover, and tucked inside were the custom dice inside of a pullout plastic container.

I am not a fan of the One Ring slipcase. The plastic tray scratches the top of the book, and continually wants to slide out and spill dice everywhere. I tossed the plastic tray, and now I am left with a too large slipcase that I'd rather not have and probably paid extra for. A hardback book and dice sold seperately is my second choice. A boxed set packed with maps and deckplans and dice and counters would have been my first…

I'll be buying the core eote rulebook whether it is paperback or hardcover, and it has been announced to be hardback. But solely, to be put inside my beginners box. I only mentioned the slipcase idea for those who seem to only want to invest in the core and the dice.

I am so buying this… well, I'm going to buy everything that gets released in the game line but **** this sounds like something worth having.

When is this coming out? Like, when can I plunk down my credits and buy it?

Oh… I think FFG should do a Sabaac Star Wars card game someday. It's spelled Sabaac, right? Or is it Sabbac?

Interesting:

I will likely buy the thing, because it does have some interesting doo-daws and will provide a better insight into how the Developers intended the game to run. I likely won't have any use for the YT-1300 specs because honestly - done. to. death. Still and all, looks promising:

Buuuut…one thing niggles at me. Dice. Yes, that old chestnut.

So…lemme get this straight. There will be dice in the beginner's box, but none can be sold now? I am hearing noises that the B-Box will be available for Christmas - so, there's what, three months and some change between here and there and the ONLY way to get ONE SINGLE set of dice right now and for the foreseeable future is to either A) Futz with the stickers B) Rush out and buy a smartphone or C) Buy the B-Box?

Guuuuyyyys….not good enough. I will say it again, dice (or Dice Roller App for Windows) should be available for separate purchase NOW. Not later with the final game, not with the Beginner's Box, now. The Beginner's Box, we need to keep in mind, isn't going to be as useful to us testing the game as the Beta Copy is, it will have a pre-gen adventure and pre-gen characters no doubt tested to make sure it all works. And honestly? Any game will hold up well if you drive it at 55 down the highway in mid afternoon. But for those of us dutifully beating the game against solid objects to see what shakes loose (ie: the playtesters, the people you asked to do this job and paid money to do this job) the B-Box is cold comfort.

Sorry to bring the rain, but there it is.

FFG_Sam Stewart said:

Hi Testers,

Just to answer a previous poster's question; the Edge of the Empire core rulebook will be a hardcover rulebook, with the dice sold as a separate pack. It will not be a boxed set.

Hope this clears up any confusion!

Thanks for clarification. This is kind of how it seemed when you read the bit about the differences between the beginner box and the core rules.

Thanks!

Stacie_GmrGrl said:

Oh… I think FFG should do a Sabaac Star Wars card game someday. It's spelled Sabaac, right? Or is it Sabbac?

Sabacc, but yeah - that does sound pretty **** good! WEG tried it but it wasn't half as good as it could have been. I'm sure FFG could do a crazily good sabacc game!

Pazaak might be easier.

True, though not nearly so iconic I suppose. The randomizer action is always going to be difficult to pull off, but I suppose having cards within a central draw deck such as "players discard their hands and draw cards to an equal number to replace said cards" could replicate it easily enough. Further cards that could be used to cancel that effect, "discard this card to keep one card in your hand", can be used to replicate the interference field. So not too difficult, but it just means extra cards in the game.

Don't wanna veer off here, but man, it strikes me that Vassal would be tailor-made for sabacc. Unfortunately, I've got enough Vassal work on my plate at the moment already…

Who is everyone kidding? It says star wars and it's a role playing game. the vast majority of us are going to buy it just based off those two things. :P

Unfortunately I was to slow and unable to get a copy of the BETA book. So I am going to get this when it is released. From what everyone is saying the game is well worth it.

$hamrock said:

Who is everyone kidding? It says star wars and it's a role playing game. the vast majority of us are going to buy it just based off those two things. :P

I agree. Especially since the Core book is not being released at the same time, but later. It's something to tide you over until the Edge of the Empire comes out. If they were released the same day (Core, Beginner's Box, and Dice Packs), then you might have many skipping the box and just using their money on the Core book and dice. If there is even a month gap, many of us will run out with nerd-ADHD and get the Beginner's box anyway. We just can't wait.

There are a few things in the box that could be used for a Core game anyway that I wouldn't want to miss out on (playmat, extra dice, ship map).

Sturn said:

$hamrock said:

I agree. Especially since the Core book is not being released at the same time, but later. It's something to tide you over until the Edge of the Empire comes out. If they were released the same day (Core, Beginner's Box, and Dice Packs), then you might have many skipping the box and just using their money on the Core book and dice. If there is even a month gap, many of us will run out with nerd-ADHD and get the Beginner's box anyway. We just can't wait.

There are a few things in the box that could be used for a Core game anyway that I wouldn't want to miss out on (playmat, extra dice, ship map).

You know, now that you mention it, perhaps this is a sign that FFG is angling for a late Q1 or early-to-mid Q2 2013 release for Edge of the Empire. Granted, I'm no marketing wizard, but it seems that you wouldn't want to put a "beginner's set" out there without having a full version either that's on the not-too-distant horizon.

Donovan Morningfire said:

Sturn said:

$hamrock said:

You know, now that you mention it, perhaps this is a sign that FFG is angling for a late Q1 or early-to-mid Q2 2013 release for Edge of the Empire. Granted, I'm no marketing wizard, but it seems that you wouldn't want to put a "beginner's set" out there without having a full version either that's on the not-too-distant horizon.

Anybody remember how long was between WotC's beginner box and OCR?