Is there actually...

By Mike, in Doom

...a way to win this game? Friends and me tried the campaign. Multiple times. Even on the lower difficulties, it mostly hang on the "gamemaster's" good nature if we could advance or not. Also, we were not stupid and incompetent. I'd like to point that one out specifically. :P

We really tried our best - but it seems to me that this game is bend o destroying the player's hopes and dreams.

It can seem that way as I know I am unrelentling with my players as the game is called and based off the video game so I try and emulate that. My players are good sports and see it more of a challenge than crying foul and screaming "FRELL THIS GAME!" as they submit to giving up. I think you just have to as Marines be just as unrelenting and try and get better at the levels as you move through them even if you have to play the same level over and over again. Sooner than later you will get lucky and best the Invaders. I liken it playing the video game and "getting stuck" on a level. You just have to keep playing the level until you beat it.

the game is beatable. i once played with a team (for i am always the invader, since no-one else knows how to play the invader role) and they managed to get around quite nicely. the other thing is that most games won by the marines were set on the lowest skill level. but i think that's a matter of coop skills in your marine team.

I played the campaign using invaders, my brother used one marine (so I only used 1 set of demons). He beaten me on all the scenarios... that marine just can't stay still

The game is very hard on the marines. I think that those monsters are mainly suposed to be dumb, you know like mindless zombies and spiders. The problem is that the invader player thinks like a marine and he will always use tactics, attack the weakest marines and he will pump up those frags quickly.

You can always houserule that monsters can't work doors, that seems to help a lot. Those freakin' spiders can open doors! Where do we hide!? :)

The game is beatable indeed, my g/f wooped my rear end as the Marines, a combination of sucky roles and poor draws spelled the end for me early in just about ALL the scenarios... :(

Tip: The game ends up easiest with two marines. One's not enough to cover LOS and all the monsters, three doesn't have enough ammo.

Of course, you *can* keep playing until the marines succeed. The Invader keeps the body count just for bragging rights.

But if you think you're losing at Doom, try out Arkham Horror...!

Yes Doom is nice compared to some of the situations you get in Arkham Horror

From my experience, I cannot agree. Even if you're not On The Winning Team in Arkham, you always have one last hope in defeated the GOO. That does not happen in Doom. :P

Speed and unit cohesion are the keys to success in Doom. Speed because you can't sit there and try to kill every creature thrown at you. You have to get out the red door ASAP! Unit cohesion covers line-of sight, small squad tactics and all the other nuances that make the game great.

A lot depends on...

- initial marine cards

- #marines

- base game or expansion invader deck (the latter is more balanced IMO)

- wether invaders from the expansion are used

- (bad) luck with weapon breakage / ammo rolls

- knowing the F.A.Q. (read it before playing the game!)

- used mods (official & own ones)

- difficulty level

Experiences with my group:

Wins:

-They stay together

-They roll good

-They never stop

-Took advantage of their cards

Losses

-They spread out

-They roll misses and lots of ammo symbols

-They just huddle on one corner blasting the demons, only to find more coming in

-They ignore their cards

The Marines should follow my 'Win' tips if they want to win

PS: I knew you'd come, HëllRÆZØR, old buddy

another "fix" if you are playing with 3 marines.

remove all the blue monsters.

Garzini said:

...or simply remove incompetent marine players gran_risa.gif

Crash said:

Garzini said:

I wish I could thumb this!

Crash said:

Garzini said:

HAHA Crash! Best comment EVER!! This totally made my day! aplauso.gif

The marines can win! I think it does depend a lot on which skills they draw and how well they REMEMBER to use them! Maybe to make the game easier for those having difficulty you could pick your own skills (or at least one of them) to aid your playing style?

The most important thing to remember is like the others have said - keep moving and keep a large area in your line of sight - your aim is to get out alive not see how many frags you can rack up, because the invader can always seem to spawn more if you give them a chance.

In my games most marine losses have happened when the unit stays in one place for too long. This allows monsters the time to position themselves around you so you have to fight all of them and possibly more than one at a time. So if you can run through a room instead of getting into a long fight you should seriously consider it. Monsters can't hurt you if they can't get near you. Remember your goal is not to kill all the monsters, but to get your team out alive.