Pretty maids all in a row…

By AngryMojo, in X-Wing Battle Reports

Another Imperial victory over the rebels, as a squadron of Academy Pilots maintains formation against the traitorous Duch Vandar.

3f72f2f4.jpg?t=1347823485

Poor Dutch…

Resized picture, because apparently I can't edit.

3f72f2f4.jpg?t=1347823485

Nice. So did you keep your TIEs that close together in formation the whole game?

Parakitor said:

Nice. So did you keep your TIEs that close together in formation the whole game?

The final positioning was more providence than design, but still interesting. I've been playing around with formation movement, and it seems surprisingly effective.

Its great as long as you are not playing a team game because you can coordinate movements and keep formation because you know whats under the dials. I am terrified of the upcoming doubles match we are having because you are not allowed to show your partner what's under your dial and you have to discuss everything so that the other team can hear…. What's up with that? We can't keep a **** channel secure?

**** Bothan spies hacking into all our comms!

gui%C3%B1o.gif

Do you always have to keep the lower skilled pilots in front? TIEs seem to be all about working together and fighting in formation, but I haven't got the nack yet. I find myself colliding with my self too often.

Hrathen said:

Do you always have to keep the lower skilled pilots in front? TIEs seem to be all about working together and fighting in formation, but I haven't got the nack yet. I find myself colliding with my self too often.

Unfortunately yes, the Academy Pilots usually wind up in front. I've found avoiding the collisions is one of the most important things you can do as an Imperial player. If you can get the evade action, it's really hard to shoot a TIE down. Otherwise your hull is made of paper mache. That's why I'm practicing formation movement, it keeps my figures organized and avoids collisions with friendly models. I'll probably post a few pics of how I do it tomorrow.

Speaking from the opposing end (I was the Rebel player in this game) formations are something of an interesting concept. I can honestly say that from a rebellion perspective, sticking close together is about the best way I've found on how to handle a TIE Swarm.

And the rematch was quite different. :P